Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
B
PenFed also has a no annual fee, no FTF chip and PIN card - Cash Rewrds VISA with 5% off gas, no other rewards.
Mine gives 3 points for groceries.

By the way its points not percent on my card. How one uses the points determines the percent. But, I never have got a point to equal 1%.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have British Airways, PenFed, and I think Cuase Sapphire. But I have to check before I go to Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Mine gives 3 points for groceries.

By the way its points not percent on my card. How one uses the points determines the percent. But, I never have got a point to equal 1%.
Mine really is percent, not points, which is why I chose it. I get it as statement credit each month. I looked at the points cards, and when converted to cash it's lower.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

I got the Citi mailer today. Two features that the new card does not have are the double warranty and one year loss/theft protection. My 55" tv died after 15 months. The one year manufacturer's warranty expired, but Amex refunded the full purchase price. While on vacation my three month old Nikon camera was stolen, and after providing a copy of the police report, Amex refunded the purchase price.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #125

Amex is a wonderful card as far as consumer protection. My car dealer cheated us, charged nearly $2000 to replace a water pump on an old car, it turned out they never did. I called the general manager at Ford, he basically low balled me, he wanted to give me $400. I called American Express and they eventually refunded the whole amount. This happened on multiple occasions.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Amex is a wonderful card as far as consumer protection. My car dealer cheated us, charged nearly $2000 to replace a water pump on an old car, it turned out they never did. I called the general manager at Ford, he basically low balled me, he wanted to give me $400. I called American Express and they eventually refunded the whole amount. This happened on multiple occasions.
If this had happened to me, after that dealer had tried that stunt a second time, I would have started looking for someone else to replace my water pump!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post

Putting the fraud aside, you reall should consider shopping car expenses. $2,000 for a water pump is down right ridiculous. A water pump is typically a $150 - $200 part (with dealer markup). Installation is a couple of hours tops.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #128

Costco AMEX Replacement Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Putting the fraud aside, you reall should consider shopping car expenses. $2,000 for a water pump is down right ridiculous. A water pump is typically a $150 - $200 part (with dealer markup). Installation is a couple of hours tops.

It was a time crunch, my kid needed that car. My husband normally does a lot of car stuff but he didn't have the time. Also when we took them in, the estimate was low, then they said they discovered something else was wrong, it would cost us money, maybe $500, to put them back without fixing it. So lot of things, not just water pump.
But my kid drove the car and still had problem a month later, we brought them back to the dealer and other mechanics said they didn't have a new water pump. Luckily we still kept the paper of what they charged. I wish I could get all these guys fired. But I never ever shopped there again.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thanks - I just don't like missing something. I mean, I hope they send my new cards to the right place!!!
I did get that letter this week. I'm glad I got it, because it's the credit card agreement, and I usually keep those.

Now I expect to get the cards this month. Given how spread out the sending of this last letter was, we'll probably be at the tail end on the cards too.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Citi is gonna have to add some sweetener for me to use another card.

We're no longer Costco members.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Citi is gonna have to add some sweetener for me to use another card.

We're no longer Costco members.
You have to be a Costco member to have this card anyway.

I don't have anything else giving me 3% back on dining and travel.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #132

Quote:
The amount of labor needed to replace a waterpump varies on some modern cars it can be many hours as they have to half take the engine apart to replace it (Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo engine it took 3 days of labor after the parts came in to replace the waterpump, but luckily it was under an extended warranty as GM had enough of them fail to put the warranty in)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The amount of labor needed to replace a waterpump varies on some modern cars it can be many hours as they have to half take the engine apart to replace it (Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo engine it took 3 days of labor after the parts came in to replace the waterpump, but luckily it was under an extended warranty as GM had enough of them fail to put the warranty in)
Agree that time for water pump replacements can vary car to car, but I have a hard time believing that it is normal for a Cruze to take 3 days of labor to do that repair. That's a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine and those engines have the pump in the path of the timing belt like many other 4 cylinder turbocharged engines (I have two). If valve timing is via a chain, the pump may be electric.

I work on cars for a hobby these days and have changed quite a few water pumps in the last several years. Cooling system plumbing is generally on the outside of the engine and designed for access without ripping apart major engine components like cylinder heads and turbos. Turbos are part of the intake and (sometimes) exhaust systems and generally not anywhere near the water pump.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Turbos are part of the intake and (sometimes) exhaust systems and generally not anywhere near the water pump.
I thought turbos were always part of the exhaust system? The hot, expanded exhaust being what spins the turbine at high speeds (and causes the turbo itself to get pretty hot!)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #135

If traveling to Canada and planning to use Costco, be sure to have a MasterCard with you.
We are just returning from a jaunt in our RV to BC/AL and pulled into a Costco to gas up and surprise, surprise no Amex. They have already converted--apparently went with a Cap One MasterCard. No Visa or Amex still accepted. Still take your debit but for us that would have gotten a 3% For exchange fee.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
If traveling to Canada and planning to use Costco, be sure to have a MasterCard with you.
We are just returning from a jaunt in our RV to BC/AL and pulled into a Costco to gas up and surprise, surprise no Amex. They have already converted--apparently went with a Cap One MasterCard. No Visa or Amex still accepted. Still take your debit but for us that would have gotten a 3% For exchange fee.
Nwsteve
Wow - I knew they had converted already, but forgot it was MasterCard. I'd be sure to carry my Schwab debit card anyway - no FX fees.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
If this had happened to me, after that dealer had tried that stunt a second time, I would have started looking for someone else to replace my water pump!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
We never replaced the water pump. My husband put something in and it's working ok. We still have the car.
When I mean it happens on multiple occasions, I didn't mean on the water pump, I meant on multiple transactions that I felt cheated, American Express took my side. I got full refund on many occasions.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #138

Our new Citi Costco cards arrived yesterday complete with my photo on the back. Valid thru 11/17.

"Begin using June 20" on the sticker.

One other item, this is the first card I've had that doesn't have "raised numbers" for the account - guess I won't be using an imprint machine with it ;-)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Our new Citi Costco cards arrived yesterday complete with my photo on the back. Valid thru 11/17.

"Begin using June 20" on the sticker.

One other item, this is the first card I've had that doesn't have "raised numbers" for the account - guess I won't be using an imprint machine with it ;-)
Woo hoo! I figured some folks should start getting them about now as they were supposed to be sent in May, and I figure it will takes some weeks for everybody to get the cards.

I had hoped we could use them as soon as we got the cards, and only have to wait until June 20 to use them at Costco. Well, I suppose it's necessary for accounts to be transferred on midnight June 19, so can't run parallel accounts until then.

I'm really glad to know your photo is on the back. I was wondering about that part.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #140

Did the credit limit remain the same? I'm curious if Citi will evaluate the new borrower population and change the limits and future offers accordingly. This is a fresh customer list for them and will likely result in them sending targeted offers to desirable customers. The blurb from Costco said a small number of accounts will not be included in the new Citi program. Presumably these are the problem customers that Citi did not want.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote