Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #241
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I have been trying to find out if there is a definitive date that Fidelity plans to cancel their FIA AMEX cards

There's a separate thread on Fidelity, but here are the FAQs.
https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...ardmember-faqs

With this new program, you will receive an Elan Financial Services®-issued Fidelity® Visa Signature® card between mid-June and mid-July. This will replace your current Fidelity American Express®, MasterCard® or Visa® credit card(s) by July 22, 2016.

Existing balance and reward points will transfer on July 26. Even if you haven't received the card yet, you may already see the new account when you log into Fidelity, so you can already set up auto payment and rewards redemption.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Costco AMEX Replacement Card
Old 06-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #242
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco AMEX Replacement Card

Per my 6/2 letter from Fido announcing the new Elan Visa, the existing Amex will "stop working" on 7/22.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been trying to find out if there is a definitive date that Fidelity plans to cancel their FIA AMEX cards, and the only information I can find on their web site is this:

What if I already have a Fidelity Rewards Credit Card issued by FIA Card Services®?
If you have a Fidelity Rewards Credit Card, you can continue to enjoy the features and benefits associated with that card. If you would like information about rates, fees, other costs and benefits, please call an FIA Card Services® representative at 877-811-7088.

So does this mean if you already have one you can keep it, or has someone else found information suggesting a definitive termination date?
Yes, a recent letter told me July 22nd my FIA Amex will quit working.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have been trying to find out if there is a definitive date that Fidelity plans to cancel their FIA AMEX cards, and the only information I can find on their web site is this:

What if I already have a Fidelity Rewards Credit Card issued by FIA Card Services®?
If you have a Fidelity Rewards Credit Card, you can continue to enjoy the features and benefits associated with that card. If you would like information about rates, fees, other costs and benefits, please call an FIA Card Services® representative at 877-811-7088.

So does this mean if you already have one you can keep it, or has someone else found information suggesting a definitive termination date?
https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...ardmember-faqs

"We are updating our credit card program to provide the best value and customer service to our card members. With this new program, you will receive an Elan Financial Services®-issued Fidelity® Visa Signature® card between mid-June and mid-July. This will replace your current Fidelity American Express®, MasterCard® or Visa® credit card(s) by July 22nd. All new credit cards will be part of the Visa® network, offering you the opportunity to enjoy Visa Signature® benefits."
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #245

I forgot to change over from my recently neutered Costco AMEX card with my auto pay set-ups. Netflix emailed me today, letting me know that my AMEX card bounced. They began the email with: Houston, we have a problem." I updated my payment information and in 30 seconds I was once again, good to go (or, at least good to once again receive DVD's and stream). (Actually, the stream is weaker--my doctor says it happens as we grow older).

"I think maybe you drifted off topic."
"Oh."
Old 06-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #246

Received my Costco Visa finally on Monday. I guess they could have waited a little longer to make it more inconvenient. Was already refused at a store because they wanted a PIN. Tried to tell them it is a chip and signature card with no PIN. No such luck, sucker. Going to Costco today to see if it works there.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #247

Never bought gas at Costco with my AMEX card but my friend use to use her AMEX card and had to punch in a PIN #. What do you do now with the Citi Visa card, just swipe and start filling?
Old 06-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #248
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I forgot to change over from my recently neutered Costco AMEX card with my auto pay set-ups. Netflix emailed me today, letting me know that my AMEX card bounced. They began the email with: Houston, we have a problem." I updated my payment information and in 30 seconds I was once again, good to go (or, at least good to once again receive DVD's and stream). (Actually, the stream is weaker--my doctor says it happens as we grow older).

"I think maybe you drifted off topic."
"Oh."
I spent about 30 minutes yesterday going through all my auto-pays and changing them from AMEX to Citi. There were more than i realized.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Never bought gas at Costco with my AMEX card but my friend use to use her AMEX card and had to punch in a PIN #. What do you do now with the Citi Visa card, just swipe and start filling?
Yes, I just swiped and started filling. No problems.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Received my Costco Visa finally on Monday. I guess they could have waited a little longer to make it more inconvenient. Was already refused at a store because they wanted a PIN. Tried to tell them it is a chip and signature card with no PIN. No such luck, sucker. Going to Costco today to see if it works there.
Did you select debit by accident? I cant imagine why you'd be prompted for a PIN otherwise.

No problems with our Citi cards.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
We never had that happen with any Amex at Costco gas.

We tested our PenFed VISA at the Costco pumps this week, and DH had to swipe the Citi card first to prove membership. I think we'll just stick with the Citi card at the pump in the future and not try to eek out that extra 1%.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #252

If she was not in her home area, she probably had to enter her zip code. Helps prevent fraud at gas stations.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
Per my 6/2 letter from Fido announcing the new Elan Visa, the existing Amex will "stop working" on 7/22.
That's what I'm expecting and I've a few places to update. But I haven't gotten my new Fidelity VISA yet.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
If she was not in her home area, she probably had to enter her zip code. Helps prevent fraud at gas stations.
That could be it.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We tested our PenFed VISA at the Costco pumps this week, and DH had to swipe the Citi card first to prove membership. I think we'll just stick with the Citi card at the pump in the future and not try to eek out that extra 1%.
I was wondering if the PenFed VISA would work there so thanks for that data point. In my case the 5 pts is actually worth a lot worse...maybe only 4.25% so I'm not going to lose much so not going to eke it out (no mice around either).
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
I was wondering if the PenFed VISA would work there so thanks for that data point. In my case the 5 pts is actually worth a lot worse...maybe only 4.25% so I'm not going to lose much so not going to eke it out (no mice around either).
We only needed a quarter tank, so I thought it was a worthwhile test, and I'll let you know. I've read it gives 5% at SAMs club, and there is no language restricting warehouse clubs in the PenFed documentation, like for some other cards.

We'll see.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
No it was definitely a PIN because she had to look it up. Wonder if it was a Costco PIN and not AMEX.
I've had to enter my zip code at certain gas stations just a few miles from my house but not all.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #258

I just used my replacement Visa card for the first time at the grocery store. It asked for a pin. When I told the cashier this was a cc not a debit card, she said just press the green key and all is well. Curious if it will happen again elsewhere. I'll be going to Costco tomorrow and we'll see what happens.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

I had no problem using it at Costco or at a restaurant.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #260

Used the cc at 3 places today including Costco, all w/o problems.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote