Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got an email from bayareafastrak.com telling me that my Amex had been declined. We crossed the Golden Gate Bridge last Saturday, when Amex was still active, but apparently they didn't attempt to put the toll charge through until today. Hopefully they will reprocess it now that I've updated the online payment method instead of sending a violation notice. (We have a license plate account rather than an actual fastrak transponder since we are typically only in the Bay Area once or twice a year and the other bridges still take cash.)

That also reminded me to update the payment method on thetollroads.com.

I have a feeling that there will be a few other rarely used auto-payments out there that I didn't find when I looked through past Amex transactions for things to update.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #262
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven't had any problems with mine either, just following the instructions that were provided and viola, it works and I have access to the online account at citi.com.

This could be its own thread, but I clicked on one of the yahoo articles about Costco's Visa switch and how angry members are!! There was another link to Costco's home page on Facebook and the hundreds of comments on there from people are almost comical. I can definitely understand how frustrating it is to call someplace and be on hold for hour(s) then get disconnected, but really? Why didn't anyone plan ahead? I guess I have too much faith or belief in the common sense of the general public or maybe a step up from the general public if they are Costco members.

If I hadn't received my personal or business cards by the activation date of the 20th, I would have purchased AT LEAST a week or two of items that I needed so I wouldn't have to worry about any issues in the first few days of the switch over. What do people expect with a change of 11+million cards? Everything would go smoothly and there would not be any issues? Heck I even stopped using my AMEX on the 18th so I could have a clear stop and start date between AMEX and Citi. And if I just had to go to Costco for something on Monday or later, I would have brought one of my other Visa cards or my debit, or cash or heaven forbid, a checkbook, if I can remember where I put it.

Some of the comments range from being total clueless that AMEX wasn't going to work on the 20th (I guess they didn't see all the signage, news articles, mailings about the change) to whoever thought up the change should get fired (the CEO of Costco needs to get this fixed ASAP and issue a public apology!!) That this switch isn't worth the few bucks that it will save (try millions, not to mention the better rewards for the cardholder) and what Costco/Citi is going to do for them for the inconvenience of not having their card yet, getting a messed up card, or for not letting them know that their other AMEX card wouldn't work either. I am sick of 'you owe me' attitude for a minor inconvenience, it has been too ingrained in our society that you get a reward for being slightly inconvenienced.

So for a little entertainment take a look.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought Costco did an outstanding job of communicating this change with huge visual reminders everywhere and mail communications, etc. Citi and even American Express did their part.

Still when I was at Costco checkout the guy in front of me had to be told he couldn't pay with his American Express and he had to push the cart aside and was calling someone while we checked out.

I expect that story is playing out over an over again. Many people simply don't pay attention.

Anyway - I was never worried even if I got my card late because I could still show my old card as member ID, and I could use one of my other VISAs. No problem.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #264
Give me a forum ...

I have no problems using the card. Citi hasn't the last of our charges on AMEX yet, just paid on trust that all is well.

Their credit card issues are nothing compared to the frustration trying to pay our First Tech cc by Chase as we have for years. Now they insist payment come from our First Tech accounts. Jump through 2 hoops, not going to happen, time to cut up their cc.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #265

So Ms G says"ok you can grind up the AMEX card". "By the way where is the AMEX BLUE card?. Grasshopper says " i just ground them up". palmslap.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
So Ms G says"ok you can grind up the AMEX card". "By the way where is the AMEX BLUE card?. Grasshopper says " i just ground them up". palmslap.
Oops!!! No problem - you can call for replacements.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #267
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oops!!! No problem - you can call for replacements.
Rachel from Card Services to the rescue!
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #268
Recycles dryer sheets

My problem is that after creating an account at online.citi.com to activate my cards, that every subsequent attempt to log into the online account results in an error message indicating that my password is incorrect. The only way I am able to log into the account is to try to log in 3 times. On 3rd attempt, I get option to reset my password. After I complete the reset procedure and create a new password, I get access to the online account until I logoff. Once I logoff, the password I just created is not accepted at the next logon attempt. This happens regardless of which OS or browser I use. Very annoying.
[The cards did activate and I've used them w/o problem (but not at Costco yet).]
Old 06-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Still waiting on my new Fidelity VISA card. I got the card agreement today.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Transition has been without incident. Balance transferred, even have same due date. Set up an online account, then went to my other Citi card account, linked the two, and now only have one login for both.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:11 AM   #271
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had no issues registering and using the new Costo Citi Visa but was interested to see that the card has an RFID symbol on the back. This would indicate that it can be used to tap & pay at certain terminals, instead of swiping or inserting the card. I emailed Citi to ask about this but they denied the existence of this feature on a Visa card, saying that only MasterCard offers PayPass. This didn't sound correct (because Visa does have an equivalent called payWave) so I replied and am awaiting their response.

In the meantime, I tried at Macy's and was able to make a purchase (just over $100) by holding the card up to the terminal for a few seconds. No signature or PIN was needed. The receipt shows "EMV Contactless(Y) - No CVM."

I'm still curious how Citi will reply. It's disconcerting that they don't know their own product which shipped to 11 million customers, and also I see no mention of the feature in the intro literature, card agreement or Citi website. My guess is that Costco requested this feature to be able to process transactions quicker once they upgrade their terminals.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #272

We have had no problems receiving and using my new Visa card at Costco in spite of having frozen our credit with all 3 credit bureaus a couple of years ago. There was nothing for us to do. They just arrived in the mail a few weeks before they were activated. However, I almost threw out the mail thinking it was junk because when I felt the envelope I didn't feel the raised numbers on the card. There aren't any.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #273
Give me a forum ...

We have had no problems using the new Citi card. However when DW linked her account to mine, she can no longer see any transactions made using my card, only hers. The website will not let her unlink. She wants it to 'appear just like AmEx', as a store rep described to me.

She was hold several times over the weekend, and the line disconnected (after a verbal warning) after 20-30 minutes. Last night she finally got connected to someone after 25 minutes, who connected her with a supervisor, who referred her to someone else. Put on hold for another 45 minutes (into a black hole) before we hung up.

So phone support re: online questions has been abysmal for us so far, but we'll keep trying...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
We have had no problems receiving and using my new Visa card at Costco in spite of having frozen our credit with all 3 credit bureaus a couple of years ago. There was nothing for us to do. They just arrived in the mail a few weeks before they were activated. However, I almost threw out the mail thinking it was junk because when I felt the envelope I didn't feel the raised numbers on the card. There aren't any.

Cheers!
Yep - no more raised numbers!

It's good - as on some of my well used cards the white paint would wear off making them hard to read!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #275

[QUOTE=Midpack;1750209]We have had no problems using the new Citi card. However when DW linked her account to mine, she can no longer see any transactions made using my card, only hers. The website will not let her unlink. She wants it to 'appear just like AmEx', as a store rep described to me.
/QUOTE]

Our Costco AmEx behaved that way - DW was primary, so she saw both our purchases while my login just saw my purchases. The Citi Costco Visa appears be be setup the same way.

Simple solution: I just log into "her" account. NBD.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #276

Quote:
I have had no issues registering and using the new Costo Citi Visa but was interested to see that the card has an RFID symbol on the back. This would indicate that it can be used to tap & pay at certain terminals, instead of swiping or inserting the card.
The info that Costco published for the card highlights "EMV chip and tap-and-go payment".
Old 06-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We have had no problems using the new Citi card. However when DW linked her account to mine, she can no longer see any transactions made using my card, only hers. The website will not let her unlink. She wants it to 'appear just like AmEx', as a store rep described to me.
Our Costco AmEx behaved that way - DW was primary, so she saw both our purchases while my login just saw my purchases. The Citi Costco Visa appears be be setup the same way.

Simple solution: I just log into "her" account. NBD.
I suggested that, but she said that's not a solution Having to tread a little lightly, but thanks.

And that's no excuse for waiting on line for hours over several days with no help whatsoever.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #278
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
The info that Costco published for the card highlights "EMV chip and tap-and-go payment".
Thanks. Can I ask where you saw this? I'd like to point it out to the second Citi rep who denies the card has this capability.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #279

Quote:
Can I ask where you saw this? I'd like to point it out to the second Citi rep who denies the card has this capability.
Costco sends us a magazine called The Cosco Connection. It's on page 36 of the July edition, under "Additional Benefits". Hope this helps.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Costco connection online. This hopefully will display page 36.
The Costco Connection - July 2016