Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

How long have you owned your residence? 7 years, home built in 1954.
how much sg ft? 1450

How often have you replaced carpet? 1 time in family room, tore the carpet out of the rest of the house
cost per sq ft? We bought stainmaster carpet, my wife works at Lowe's so with the discount it probably wouldn't be applicable...

How often have you painted interior walls? Each room once, 2 rooms twice in 7 years.
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? Cost per sq ft? replaced the siding on the house when we bought it. Brother did the work, so the cost is probably not comparable to a commercial contractor situation.
How often have you replaced gutters? cost per sq ft? Replaced the gutters when we did the siding and roof, which we did right after buying the home. Again, brother did the work so i'd bet it's not comparable...
How often have you replaced roof? cost per sq ft? Replaced the roof right after we bought the house. Used 50 year architectural shingles. Roof had been replaced once before since 1954.
How often did you replace HVAC? We actually added air conditioning and duct work to the house after buying it. Carrier system was installed, local contractor charged $6500. We also replaced the original furnace (oil, hot water baseboard heat) a year after buying the home (this was the original coal stove that was converted to oil and needed a $450 repair). That cost $3500.
How often did you replace hot water heater? Don't have one per se, comes off of the furnace.
Any other frequent repairs? Driveway, floors or other? We have the blacktop resealed every 3 years. Costs about $125. Not too much that I want to mess with it myself and they seem to do a good job.

Every situation is different - we knew going in that it was a fixer upper, but also that my brother was a contractor and we'd get a family discount. So it's worked out fine for us. Good luck.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the "how long" questions are about life expectancies.

Here's a source Bank of America | Please Select Your State

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it at least gives you a checklist.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How long have you owned your residence? 13 years, house was one year old when we bought it.
how much sq ft? 3000+

How often have you replaced carpet? Not yet, but plan to in next few months

How often have you painted interior walls? Kids rooms around year 10.
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? Once around year 11 with roof replacement (see below). Painted outside with a little siding replacement. Cost per sq ft?

How often have you replaced gutters? cost per sq ft? Never.
How often have you replaced roof? cost per sq ft? Once around year 11. Hail damage, so paid by insurance.

How often did you replace HVAC? Replaced one outside unit due to lightning strike. $2400.
How often did you replace hot water heater? One at 10 years, the other at 12 years.

Any other frequent repairs? Driveway, floors or other? Refinished kitchen wood floor at year 8. Leaky pipe, but caught early enough, so no water damage. Garage door repaired (broken spring) & opener replaced at year 12. Dead trees removed, maybe $500 at year 1 and year 13. Replaced oven. Replace dishwasher to get a very quiet one. In-ground sprinkler system needs repair. Wood fence: occasional boards replaced.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

How long have you owned your residence? 17 years
how much sg ft? 1250

How often have you replaced carpet? What carpet? All hardwood floors.
cost per sq ft? N/A

How often have you painted interior walls? Once, and refinished them
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? What siding? It's stucco.
Cost per sq ft? N/A

How often have you replaced gutters? Once
cost per sq ft? Don't remember, it was a long time ago

How often have you replaced roof? Once
cost per sq ft? Total cost was ~$4000

How often did you replace HVAC? Once.

How often did you replace hot water heater? What hot water heater? The furnace heats the water

Any other frequent repairs? No

Driveway, floors or other? Install alarm system, kitchen & bathroom reno, new garage, chimney, landscaping......that's about it. Altogether I have probably spent ~$40K on the house over the last 17 years (not counting property taxes).
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #25

Townhome -- built in 2003, owned 3 years

141/month HOA pays everything on the exterior, plus snow removal and landscaping requirements.

Interior painting: four rooms, twice in the living room, about $350, DIY

Handyman help: about $250

Window blinds: $175.

That's it.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #26

How long have you owned your residence? 9 years
how much sg ft? 1100

How often have you replaced carpet? once, upon selling
cost per sq ft? About $3 IIRC for cheap stuff

How often have you painted interior walls? Once on average- some walls painted upon movein, and the others painted upon selling
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? My condo was painted twice outside.
How often have you replaced gutters? Once
How often have you replaced roof? Once; the roof was almost new when I moved in though.
How often did you replace HVAC? Never, but was on the verge upon selling
How often did you replace hot water heater? Condo assn replaced it once
Any other frequent repairs? Slab cracks fixed several times at cost of approx $15k total. Outside drainage improvments made several times, costing say $3k for my condo's share.

Many of these repairs were not made because they were strictly required but rather because they were necesary to preserve saleability. This is I think an important thing for a new property owner to learn, something that I didn't learn until I was getting ready to sell. You (or your estate) will have to sell your home sometime and when you do you'll need to get it totally clean for the sale. So don't think about how long something will last before it breaks, think about how long you can let something go before it becomes a liability to a sale, and fix it at that point so you don't have to deal with it under the pressure of a move.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:42 AM   #27

I'll see what info I can provide
Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
My house (built new in 2005) has not needed repairs yet. I am trying to estimate costs (how much and how often they occur).

A question for long time home owners:

How long have you owned your residence? 10 years
how much sg ft? About 2400

How often have you replaced carpet? Mostly hard wood, which was finished about 8 years ago. Also replaced carpet in bedrooms at that time.
cost per sq ft? Don't recall.

How often have you painted interior walls? Once
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? Painted once. Cost per sq ft? Did it myself-so the cost of supplies and time (Did it by handroller-took 1.5 weeks-I worked sllooowwww)
How often have you replaced gutters? Haven't. cost per sq ft?
How often have you replaced roof? Haven't. It was last done in mid 90s cost per sq ft?
How often have you replaced carpet? You already asked this! cost per sq ft?
How often did you replace HVAC? Haven't. Did have furnace repairs once, about 3 years ago.
How often did you replace hot water heater? I've replaced it once since I bought the house. Plumber told me it was about 15 years old.
Any other frequent repairs? Driveway, floors or other? Nothing frequent. Did spend $3000 to replace the main plumbing line in from the street in 2007. But that doesn't qualify as frequent, when it is the first time in 50 years.

Try to decipher what was a normal home repair vs a known fixer upper house at time of purchase. Looking for maintainance costs and how often they occurred.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

How long have you owned your residence? 15 years (designed and finished a good protion of it)
how much sg ft? 3,600 above ground

How often have you replaced carpet? never (only 600 sq ft carpet 3rd floor, rest HW)
cost per sq ft?

How often have you painted interior walls? (kids rooms several times, several rooms with "pho" finishes, then as needed once before selling. NO WALLPAPER!)
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? Odd combo of wood trim and vinyl siding. Some wood trim replaced with new composite boards Cost per sq ft? I'm cheap labor though working outside on those 3rd floor dormers requires some guts, material cost negligable
How often have you replaced gutters? Never, some minor repairs cost per sq ft? negligable
How often have you replaced roof? 50 year shingles. About 5 square replaced due to manufacture defect cost per sq ft? Mostly covered by warranty
How often have you replaced carpet? cost per sq ft?
How often did you replace HVAC? Never but one $300 repair job on a leaky condenser pipe
How often did you replace hot water heater? Replaced once. (hard water). Live with 3 females. Upgraded to an 80 gallon NG unit.
Any other frequent repairs? Driveway, floors or other? Refinish 1st floor hardwood once (self inflicted backbreaking cheap labor), driveway seal twice. Reset paver patio once with new polymeric sand (prevents weeds). Replaced Doug Fir porch decking and steps with new composite decking once. Several central AC refrigerent recharges over the years. Replace kitchen laminate with granite and undermount sink just prior to selling

House sold in 4 days (over the listing price and serveral broker listing estimates). Closing on Monday Our (old and tiny) retirement beach box in NC probably worth 10% less than what we paid for it so it all seems to wash in the end.

If your going to learn a serious money saving skill, home design-construction-repair-decorating is a great one! Need to pick your battles carefully, and have great relationsip with your SO for this to work

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExteriorShotA.JPG (82.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #29

The "major systems" of US homes appear engineered for 15-20 year life.

Our neighborhood is 20 years old. The first 15 years, I only saw contractors around for "electrive upgrades" (pool, additions, etc).

For the last 5 years, all the contractors have been "mandatory replacements" - roofing, carpets, furnaces, etc

If I did it over again, I'd buy a new house and move to a new house every 15 years. The "mandatory replacements" cost money that you do not recoup in resell. Avoiding these "mandatory replacement" costs would pay for the transaction costs going to a new house.

Carpet: $5k
Roof: $8k
Furnace: $4k
Kitchen refresh: $4k
Windows: ??
Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #30

How long have you owned your residence? 15 years
how much sg ft? 3400

How often have you replaced carpet? replaced about 1000sf 2 months ago
cost per sq ft? About $3.50

How often have you painted interior walls? most rooms 2-3 times
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? I have brick, but I've stained soffit/overhang about 4 times
How often have you replaced gutters? Never
How often have you replaced roof? Not yet.
How often did you replace HVAC? Once
How often did you replace hot water heater? 3 times for about $300 each time
Any other frequent repairs? Landscaping costs usually around $1000 per year. Sealing driveway about $1000 every 3 years.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #31

Question: Why do people seal their driveways? Curious...maybe something I should do?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
The "major systems" of US homes appear engineered for 15-20 year life.

Our neighborhood is 20 years old. The first 15 years, I only saw contractors around for "electrive upgrades" (pool, additions, etc).

For the last 5 years, all the contractors have been "mandatory replacements" - roofing, carpets, furnaces, etc

If I did it over again, I'd buy a new house and move to a new house every 15 years. The "mandatory replacements" cost money that you do not recoup in resell. Avoiding these "mandatory replacement" costs would pay for the transaction costs going to a new house.

Carpet: $5k
Roof: $8k
Furnace: $4k
Kitchen refresh: $4k
Windows: ??
My thought is the comment of move before repairs is penny wise, dollar foolish. If the 21k of repairs is ammortized over 10 years (120 months) and $175 is set aside each month for these eventual repairs, that is a better way to than moving and taking on risk that new house will have basement crack, something valuable will break in the move, not to mention the stress of the move itself or trying to sell the old house.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Question: Why do people seal their driveways? Curious...maybe something I should do?
It helps repel moisture, and here in the upper midwest this is important because the freeze thaw cycle will destroy asphalt pavement with some water in it.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:13 AM   #34

How long have you owned your residence? 15 years, built in 1976
how much sg ft? 1400, Ranch style, garage under

How often have you replaced carpet? Once, carpet in the bedrooms, hardwood elsewhere
cost per sq ft? About 900 for 3 bedrooms

How often have you painted interior walls? Once when moving in. Doing several rooms now tho as my wife is tired of "Eggshell"
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? Painted once, but had Masonite. Had new windows and vinyl siding put on
Cost per sq ft? 12-15K?
How often have you replaced gutters? Never, some minor repairs cost per sq ft? negligable
How often have you replaced roof? Once, had 50 year shingles put on by Home Depot. cost per sq ft? About 10K, but added ridge vents etc
How often did you replace HVAC? Dont have it
How often did you replace hot water heater? Just replaced furnace (oil boiler) and had an on-demand hot water heater installed. $6600
Any other frequent repairs? Driveway, floors or other?

When I bought my house it still had its 1976 decor. Red countertop, shag rug (gold, yellow, baby blue) etc. I spend a lot updating it and replacing old items.

I still sometimes think of selling and moving into an apartment where there will be less work. Lawn mowing in the summer, snow blowing in the winter, all the maintenance etc.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #35

Thanks Ronstar...think it might be something for me.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

From reading this thread, it appears people paint their interior rooms a lot less than I do. I tire of a color after 3-4 years and repaint. Our living room has stayed the same color for 12 years, but every other room has had a variety of looks.

But, in the scope of things, paint is cheap. And after all the years of painting, I am really good at it.

How long have you owned your residence? 13 years.
how much sg ft? Our apartment in the building we own is about a 850 square feet, not including basement.

How often have you replaced carpet?
cost per sq ft?

No carpet. Refinished wood floors when purchased, installed new marble floors in bath.

How often have you painted interior walls? A lot, taste driven.
How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? Cost per sq ft? Brick. Did have to do brick work on chimney at a cost of about $8000.
How often have you replaced gutters? cost per sq ft? No gutters.
How often have you replaced roof? cost per sq ft? Once when we bought the place, don't recall cost.
How often have you replaced carpet? cost per sq ft? N/A
How often did you replace HVAC? No air conditioning and not needed. Our boiler had a recall and was rebuilt about 8 years ago at no cost to us.
How often did you replace hot water heater? Our water heater services 4 apartments. We replaced when we purchased the place and is still functioning fine.
Replaced exterior staircase at cost of $3000 12 years ago. Replaced rotted back porch floor with cement slab, cost was several hundred dollars. Painting trim for our three story 6000 square foot building about 6 years ago cost about $4000. And we did some of the lower work ourselves. Windows are old and we replaced two, custom sized and was fairly pricey--don't recall cost.

Our driveway was repaved maybe 5 years ago and should be sealed every couple of years. We have a parking area that needs a new coat of asphalt. We have a wood retaining wall in the back that needs replacing. We did a front retaining wall at cost of about $6000 several years ago. We did a steel fence 4 feet high and maybe 250 to 275 feet in total length at cost of $12,000 about 6 years ago. We redid our bath and kitchen on the cheap, doing part of the work ourselves. Doing the bath required us to put in another bath first. Total cost for two baths plus kitchen was maybe $15,000.

In the 13 years we have lived there, we have replaced once the fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer. All had pooped out.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Extends the life of an asphalt driveway (concrete is a different beast). Relatively easy to do though a wee bit messy. You can always hire someone if you are not so inclined. Well worth the expense. One of several jobs DW and I enjoy doing together.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #38

Quote:
I think it just makes the driveway pretty. I do it only if my neighbor does it - makes DW happy.

Even with high quality coatings, I doubt a whole lot of "sealing" is going on.

I think the biggest determinant of asphalt driveway life is slope - neighbors that have sloping driveways look great after 20 years.

Neighbors who have flat driveways have "ruts" - even those who "seal religously".
Old 04-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A question for long time home owners:

How long have you owned your residence?
About 30 years
built 1940s

how much sq ft?
Just under 1000

How often have you replaced carpet?
once in one bedroom

cost per sq ft?
don't recall ... Home depot ...~150 sf

How often have you painted interior walls?
stripped wallpaper off 2 bedrooms, one painted white, one pale wood paneling; bathroom painted white

How often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? Cost per sq ft?
Had outside covered with insulation and vinyl siding; don't recall cost

How often have you replaced gutters? cost per sq ft?
once; don't recall cost; need to do again

How often have you replaced roof? cost per sq ft?
once, about 12 years ago; about $4000

How often have you replaced carpet? cost per sq ft?
replaced carpet in 1 bedroom; replaced kitchen carpet with vinyl 8 years ago

How often did you replace HVAC?
new boiler 1 year after buying house (29 years); got hand-me-down window A/C 3 years ago; new unit summer '07

How often did you replace hot water heater?
every 8 years, but 12 for most recent after water softener

insulated attached garage
rewired entire house
water softener
replaced all outgoing plumbing
redid bathroom: new vanity sink flooring toilet, removed tub
redid kitchen: new fridge sink counter stove dishwasher flooring cabinets
Old 04-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

How long have you owned your residence? 6 years
how much sg ft? 3000

How often have you replaced carpet? Mostly hardwood floors and tile
cost per sq ft?

How often have you painted interior walls? Once and now doing it againHow often have you replaced siding (or painted outside)? Painted outside once
Cost per sq ft? $3,000 total
How often have you replaced gutters? No gutters
cost per sq ft?

How often have you replaced roof? Na,house was only two years old when I moved in

How often did you replace hot water heater? Not yet

Any other frequent repairs?

Driveway, floors or other? Remodeled kitchen ,put in pavers , new sea wall, landscaping , and redecorating