Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lately I have had trouble reading much on this site. Perhaps it should be retitled-"Virtue Signalling Has Finally Been Perfected, and Here is How"

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Alameda County must be more expensive than Diablo Valley. I'm more than fine. But then I have HC @ 280 month, paid off house, and thrive on my pension (net 2535.78 month after taxes / HC) with 3 trips abroad per year.

We spend more, but other than housing our expenses don't seem to be too different than average across the U.S. based on the Consumer Expenditure Survey. For us, some things are even cheaper, like groceries (as long as we shop at the ethnic markets and discount stores), entertainment (lots of free and cheap things to do), and with the ACA our health care expenses were $24 last year (plus eye exams and dental checkups).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:37 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Farmer, I would love to see a breakdown of expenses on how you do all that on 20k. I am guessing free medical with Tricare.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

We've lived in Hawaii since 1991, & don't spend nearly the average the article states. Little frugality on our part since retirement, either, but we spend on average just $63,333 annually.

Wonder where they get those figures?
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Northern CA (suburbs east of sacramento). Assuming 2k/mo for health care and paid off house, cars and college, 7k/mo is what we would be comfortable at.
SeanPizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Farmer, I would love to see a breakdown of expenses on how you do all that on 20k. I am guessing free medical with Tricare.
Yes, exactly. US Navy provides my healthcare via Tricare.

Our property taxes for a 2400 sq ft house on 150 acres of river frontage land is ~ $800/year. Our annual fuel for heating is $700/year.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average over-65 household will spend nearly $50,000 a year
Quote:
Mississippi is the cheapest place to retire comfortably at about $53,000 a year
So the average over-65 household cannot live comfortably anywhere? Click bait!
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
So the average over-65 household cannot live comfortably anywhere? Click bait!
I know a lot of retirees who are over-65. The only thing I can think of that might cost more is the healthcare.

I turned 60 a few months ago. So the thinking is that when I reach 65 my expenses will triple suddenly?
Old 07-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Farmer, I am super curious what you spend eating out and traveling per year. If travel is cheap you will have to share the secret). I don’t doubt you but love learning.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Farmer, I am super curious what you spend eating out and traveling per year. If travel is cheap you will have to share the secret). I don’t doubt you but love learning.
We generally eat out twice a week.

My wife likes to drive down to DC to visit her sister twice a year.

We drive out to Kentucky to visit our youngest son and his wife once a year, then on to Kansas to visit our eldest son and his wife.

Once a year my wife's sister goes on a trip somewhere paid for by her company and she brings my wife as her plus-one. Last year they spent 2 weeks in Finland.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Okay I appreciate the response.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:22 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Travel does not always mean going overseas.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Your relative has enjoyed one of the great privileges of upper middle class life - the ability to be mentally lazy about money. He doesn't know how much he spends or where he spends it because there has always been enough to make that effort unnecessary. By contrast, if you are dirt poor and sweating out the last few days until the SNAP benefits hit your EBT card, you know exactly how much money you spend and where you spend it.

From my long observation, most people are mentally lazy about most things, not just money. Not incapable by any means, but totally unwilling to make an effort unless forced by circumstances to do so.
Well said. I would have to agree.

I ( quite cynically ) had concluded that most people were just cognitively challenged in some way regarding money. Or possibly, that I reside in a different Time-Space-Logic Continuum.

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Live abroad
Old 07-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #94
Confused about dryer sheets

Live abroad

I lived in Thailand for 5 years. 2000 a month, you can live comfortably
SubwaySinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
From my long observation, most people are mentally lazy about most things, not just money. Not incapable by any means, but totally unwilling to make an effort unless forced by circumstances to do so.
Nothing political here, but IMO our country was built on the original immigrants who worked their tails off, never lazy about anything. We are lazy built on the success of our forebearers.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is an article that I find most interesting, about how much salary is needed to live comfortably in 50 major cities.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/makin...est-cities-us/

The main take away that the median income of the city is way less than what is needed to live comfortably when owning or renting a home.
Archman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ Soooooo… According to this, no one with a median income can afford to live anywhere if they own a home?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archman View Post
Here is an article that I find most interesting, about how much salary is needed to live comfortably in 50 major cities.
My anecdotal observations have caused me to believe wages are better in cities, and the Cost-of-living is higher.

Many of these articles are written comparing cities.

But the lower Cost-of-living regions are found 50-miles outside of the city.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #99

Living in SF Bay Area (Castro Valley, Alameda Co.) with no mortgage and subsidized medical insurance:

One Person:
Property tax, home ins, HOA, nominal maintenance, utilities, food, medical/dental, car ins, car maint/repairs, and gas = $29,000/yr

Add in second person: food, medical/dental and transportation = $13,000/yr

Total Essentials = $42,000/yr

Add routine spending (travel, entertainment, recreation, gifts, clothes ect.) and non-routine spending (replacing items like cars, appliances, major home repairs ect.. and buying new stuff) = $50,000/yr

Total standard of living = $92,000/yr (Very comfortable, but frugal. Can reduce spending if needed)

The CA average of $86K comes close to us.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
^^^^ Soooooo… According to this, no one with a median income can afford to live anywhere if they own a home?

And not if they rent either.

If this were true, then there are many, many city dwellers living a less-than "comfortable" life. I hardly doubt that. I wonder if it takes into account "household" income or "individual" income?
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote