Could early retirement kill you?

That's exactly what I would need to completely reclaim my health, so I hope that I will have similar results after retirement. It will be very soon, and I am taking some unused vacation time until about a week before ER. Have started losing weight and trying to decompress, already. :)
A guaranteed good result is coming your way. You are making all the right moves already. :)
Did you get that face only picture taken yet, as the "Before" to use for comparison for the "After" state? Don't forget. :flowers:
I have a photo taken of me receiving an award for 3 patent submissions, approx 6 months before I boogied. I was very happy that day, or so I thought. :nonono:
It is frightening to see the lines around and under my eyes, the sallow skin color, and the forced smile in that photo, compared to my natural smile :D and improved complexion since FIRE.

Do many people retire/not retire because they think that they may die soon? It was a non-factor for me.
Not a parameter in my decision either, although seeing people my age die did certainly help confirm things for me.

In the "related articles" box next to the original article: Money the key to a longer life, says Economic and Social Research Council - Telegraph

Key findings:

"The study, for the Economic and Social Research Council, also found that those who get the choice of early retirement are also more likely to enjoy a longer life."

"Early retirement is generally good for people's health and wellbeing unless it has been forced on them, the study said."

"Those forced into early retirement generally have poorer mental health than those who take routine retirement, who in turn have poorer mental health than those who have taken voluntary early retirement."

Perhaps we could do a poll on which of the two studies we prefer?:LOL:

Did any of you find that you started staying up later at night and sleeping later in the day after retirement?
If so, do you consider it a mistake, as far as health is concerned?
Is it better to try and maintain an early to rise life style?
Accomplish projects/goals/honey do's daily?
Is there merit in the Early to bed, early to rise, makes retiree's health wealthy and wise?
Just wondering because I find myself falling into somewhat lazy habits when I just take a week or so off for vacation.
I may be able to retire pretty soon but am somewhat concerned about becoming a slug.
I keep telling myself there will be plenty honey do projects to keep me busy though. The current list would probably last a couple years :whistle:. I also have several hobbies, a mini farm with animals and such that keeps me active.
Just some thinking out loud, I suppose,
Steve

I was planning on hanging it up at the end of the year. I noticed a list on the refrigerator that my wife put there for things to do next year. I decided I will keep on working:LOL::LOL:

If you retire to become a sloth its probably true....But if you retire because you want to live and travel , and live and active and productive life where you are master of your own domain..... I am sure your life expectancy will be good..... As a Uni post grad in exercise science and physiology I would find it hard to see the stress of work place keeping many people alive longer....

I do however think you need to be pro-active about having a meaningful, active and intellectually stimulating existence in eR.

If you retire to become a sloth its probably true....But if you retire because you want to live and travel , and live and active and productive life where you are master of your own domain..... I am sure your life expectancy will be good..... As a Uni post grad in exercise science and physiology I would find it hard to see the stress of work place keeping many people alive longer....

I do however think you need to be pro-active about having a meaningful, active and intellectually stimulating existence in eR.

Although I may croak tomorrow, I think the above pretty well sums things up.

In my case, I've been able to stay pretty active since I retired for good about 6 years ago. When I was working, I generally found time to work out, even if it meant getting up at a ridiculously early hour to do so before leaving for work. Now, I sleep later, but still exercise just about every day. Because I have a much larger piece of land to care for than I did during my working years, I spend more time doing manual labor (which is, after all, exercise.) I have less stress in my life, sleep a little bit more, eat about the same.

My weight is pretty much where it was when I retired. My BP (which was a tad on the high side) is better now, but not remarkably so.

I probably read about as much as I did when I was working, maybe a little bit more. I go to a few more plays and concerts, most of them during the week since I don't have to get up and go to work the next day. I travel more.

I don't have a job, PT or otherwise, but I have a few volunteer commitments which keep me involved in things I enjoy doing, but not so much so that I feel stressed or overwhelmed.

I occasionally find that I'm bored because I don't have enough to do, but this boredom pales in comparison to the boredom I felt daily during the last few years of my working life.

My income is such that I can pretty much do what I want to (within reason) and never feel stressed about money.

As I said at the outset, I may croak tomorrow, but I've felt that my retired life has generally been healthier than my working life although I won't claim that in the physical/mental areas things have remarkably changed either for the good or the bad.

In the "related articles" box next to the original article: Money the key to a longer life, says Economic and Social Research Council - Telegraph

Key findings:

"The study, for the Economic and Social Research Council, also found that those who get the choice of early retirement are also more likely to enjoy a longer life."

"Early retirement is generally good for people's health and wellbeing unless it has been forced on them, the study said."

"Those forced into early retirement generally have poorer mental health than those who take routine retirement, who in turn have poorer mental health than those who have taken voluntary early retirement."

Aha! See, this sorts apart those who retired early just because they could, from those who were forced out by poor health leading to an inability to work.

The early retirement doesn't produce the poor health and early demise. It's the poor health that leads to forced early retirement and the shortened lifespan.

So, for the FIRE'd this is good news. We get to enjoy a longer life.

My Mother is 93 and is getting limited in what she can do . It has really made me pay attention to things I want to do and do them don't put obstacles in their way .

Did any of you find that you started staying up later at night and sleeping later in the day after retirement?
Is there merit in the Early to bed, early to rise, makes retiree's health wealthy and wise?
Just wondering because I find myself falling into somewhat lazy habits when I just take a week or so off for vacation.
I may be able to retire pretty soon but am somewhat concerned about becoming a slug.
I keep telling myself there will be plenty honey do projects to keep me busy though. The current list would probably last a couple years :whistle:. I also have several hobbies, a mini farm with animals and such that keeps me active.
Steve
PreFIRE - I needed the team of wild horses to get me out of bed to go to the salt mines. :nonono:
Post FIRE - up insanely early (dh2b's fault ;)) but am very happy once I'm awake and get to watch that sun rise/mist over fields and listen to the early AM birdie symphony. I haven't tired of it yet. :flowers:
I like to keep my daily sleep/awake schedule perfectly aligned with his. Once he retires, who knows? We could both turn into vampires. :cool:

Some days I am the activity maniac (recovering Type A-holic). Some days I declare goof off day and do a few simple chores.
The beauty of it all is the CHOICE. :D

Funny you should mention it ,I just returned from a trip to Maine which was on my bucket list . I've always wanted to see the Maine seacoast .

It's beautiful, isn't it?

Ha

Steve

I was always a night owl, and continue that habit three years after ER. According to the studies I've seen (ex - Auscultations: Early to bed and early to rise: Does it matter?) there's no correlation between getting up early and health. I usually get to bed around 2 - 3 am, and haul myself back out around 9:30. It doesn't make any difference regarding what I do during the day, other than never accidently heading out during morning rush hour. :D

I would suggest doing whatever feels right to you. That's what FIRE is about anyway. I don't buy the story in the OP at all. Nobody will ever convince me that people who don't want to work are healthier being forced to continue (for whatever reason) than they would be if they retired. OTOH, if you want to work or would be too stressed out not working (like if you don't have enough money when you are forced out), then ER might not be so healthy for you. But I'm one of the former, and glad of it.

Yup, I'm much more likely to die in a hiking, biking, boating, skiing, or snorkeling accident after I retire.

No - I started going to bed earlier, and in general rose early enough most of the time. I definitely get more sleep! I don't get up late.

On being a slug after retiring. Well, the thing is, it's really up to you! Don't be too hard on yourself for being a slug the first 6 months after retiring because you definitely need some time to recover from working if you had a stressful job. After that - well - it's up to you! Just remember - you are making the choices. But whichever choice you make - it's OK.

It seems quite a few people express the concern that without some kind of externally imposed pressures they will somehow not do well. Because they've lived there life that way for so long it can be hard to imagine another way. But think how random those external pressures are. Why not decide what you think is most important and structure your life around your own priorities. Retirement is your opportunity to do just that!

Audrey

I don't buy the story in the OP at all. Nobody will ever convince me that people who don't want to work are healthier being forced to continue (for whatever reason) than they would be if they retired. OTOH, if you want to work or would be too stressed out not working (like if you don't have enough money when you are forced out), then ER might not be so healthy for you. But I'm one of the former, and glad of it.
I'm with you on this one Harley!!!

Audrey

No - I started going to bed earlier, and in general rose early enough most of the time. I definitely get more sleep! I don't get up late.

On being a slug after retiring. Well, the thing is, it's really up to you! Don't be too hard on yourself for being a slug the first 6 months after retiring because you definitely need some time to recover from working if you had a stressful job. After that - well - it's up to you! Just remember - you are making the choices. But whichever choice you make - it's OK.

It seems quite a few people express the concern that without some kind of externally imposed pressures they will somehow not do well. Because they've lived there life that way for so long it can be hard to imagine another way. But think how random those external pressures are. Why not decide what you think is most important and structure your life around your own priorities. Retirement is your opportunity to do just that!

Audrey

So true about the first 6 months. I'm still working out sleep length and time. But it really doesn't matter except for occasional appointments and trash/recycle pick up day.

Exactly what is the difference between going to bed at 10PM and getting up at 6AM and bed at 12:30AM and up at 8:30AM? Except that now I can stay up until 12:30AM and sleep until 8:30AM.:rolleyes:

I am working on losing weight and getting more fit, to combat the downwards slide in my health in recent months. I may not be able to reclaim my youth, but I can reclaim my life and I expect to enjoy many more decades to come.

I see no reason why the average retiree / early retiree can't reclaim his or her youth. What I mean is that there's no reason that the average 60 year old can't be as fit or even more fit than those in their 20's. Most people can be very physically active well into their 80's. For example, I go bicycling with people in their 60's/70's who have more endurance/speed than their grandchildren. They can do things that most people would find astonishing. And these people are not super athletes. They are average people simply doing what they enjoy. I think it's more mental than physical.

Of course, a person doesn't need to be a competitive athlete to be physically fit. 4-5 days a week of walking, swimming, or going to the gym can put one in better shape than the average 20 or 30 year old.

One of my ER goals is to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (Mexico to Canada). If this actually happens, I may do it with one of my friends. She is currently 60. There aren't many 20 year old's who are physically and mentally fit enough to hike 2500+ miles, at elevation, over mountainous terrain.

I've gained a lot of weight over the last 5 years that I attribute to my job. Yes, it's my fault for gaining the weight, but work certainly hasn't helped. I look at (pending) ER as an opportunity to "reclaim myself." Work has been killing me (literally). I believe that ER will save me.

What I mean is that there's no reason that the average 60 year old can't be as fit or even more fit than those in their 20's. Most people can be very physically active well into their 80's. For example, I go bicycling with people in their 60's/70's who have more endurance/speed than their grandchildren. They can do things that most people would find astonishing. And these people are not super athletes. They are average people simply doing what they enjoy. I think it's more mental than physical.

While there are a number of medical reasons why older people may have issues with exercise, I fully hope/expect to be more active after I retire than before - my "to do" list includes spending a lot more time on the local trails, an overseas marathon or two, scuba diving, sailing, canoeing, possibly a triathalon - all things I simply do not have the time for while working. Best of all, I'll be able to do these things without having to make a habit of getting out of bed at 6 am.

I found this book mildly motivational: Younger Next Year: Turn Back Your Biological Clock: Amazon.co.uk: Christopher Crowley, Henry Lodge: Books

Heh. "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'. "

Perhaps the people who gave up work completely constitutes a pool that contains not just healthy active early retirees, but also folks who were too ill to carry on working either full or part-time.

Right. Also, people who continue working "in the same field" probably enjoyed their work before retirement, and found a way to keep the best parts. Consider the college prof who teaches just the courses that were always the most fun, but dumps the committee work.

I don't know how any study could accurately adjust for these important variables.

Note that according to a poll, most people on this board said the final decision on when to retire was driven by negatives at work, rather positives about retirement activities. They got downsized, couldn't get along with a new boss, didn't like new responsibilities, or just had an "I can't take the corporate BS any longer" epiphany. Those reasons don't lend themselves to continuing to work part time in their old field.

I try to adjust my bedtime hours/waking hours to my wife´s who still has to work-for another 14 years! Mon to Fri I´m up an about by no later than 7.30 AM. I make a point of seeing her off to work:LOL:. And no, I don´t go back to bed:) once she is gone.

Exactly what is the difference between going to bed at 10PM and getting up at 6AM and bed at 12:30AM and up at 8:30AM? Except that now I can stay up until 12:30AM and sleep until 8:30AM.:rolleyes:

None. Except Mondays when I need to get trash and recyclables to the curb by 8AM.

Back
Top Bottom