Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Did any of you find that you started staying up later at night and sleeping later in the day after retirement?
No - I started going to bed earlier, and in general rose early enough most of the time. I definitely get more sleep! I don't get up late.

On being a slug after retiring. Well, the thing is, it's really up to you! Don't be too hard on yourself for being a slug the first 6 months after retiring because you definitely need some time to recover from working if you had a stressful job. After that - well - it's up to you! Just remember - you are making the choices. But whichever choice you make - it's OK.

It seems quite a few people express the concern that without some kind of externally imposed pressures they will somehow not do well. Because they've lived there life that way for so long it can be hard to imagine another way. But think how random those external pressures are. Why not decide what you think is most important and structure your life around your own priorities. Retirement is your opportunity to do just that!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't buy the story in the OP at all. Nobody will ever convince me that people who don't want to work are healthier being forced to continue (for whatever reason) than they would be if they retired. OTOH, if you want to work or would be too stressed out not working (like if you don't have enough money when you are forced out), then ER might not be so healthy for you. But I'm one of the former, and glad of it.
I'm with you on this one Harley!!!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No - I started going to bed earlier, and in general rose early enough most of the time. I definitely get more sleep! I don't get up late.

On being a slug after retiring. Well, the thing is, it's really up to you! Don't be too hard on yourself for being a slug the first 6 months after retiring because you definitely need some time to recover from working if you had a stressful job. After that - well - it's up to you! Just remember - you are making the choices. But whichever choice you make - it's OK.

It seems quite a few people express the concern that without some kind of externally imposed pressures they will somehow not do well. Because they've lived there life that way for so long it can be hard to imagine another way. But think how random those external pressures are. Why not decide what you think is most important and structure your life around your own priorities. Retirement is your opportunity to do just that!

Audrey
So true about the first 6 months. I'm still working out sleep length and time. But it really doesn't matter except for occasional appointments and trash/recycle pick up day.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think NOT retiring can kill you if you have a really stressful job. Thank goodness I have a piece-of-cake job.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Did any of you find that you started staying up later at night and sleeping later in the day after retirement?
Exactly what is the difference between going to bed at 10PM and getting up at 6AM and bed at 12:30AM and up at 8:30AM? Except that now I can stay up until 12:30AM and sleep until 8:30AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am working on losing weight and getting more fit, to combat the downwards slide in my health in recent months. I may not be able to reclaim my youth, but I can reclaim my life and I expect to enjoy many more decades to come.
I see no reason why the average retiree / early retiree can't reclaim his or her youth. What I mean is that there's no reason that the average 60 year old can't be as fit or even more fit than those in their 20's. Most people can be very physically active well into their 80's. For example, I go bicycling with people in their 60's/70's who have more endurance/speed than their grandchildren. They can do things that most people would find astonishing. And these people are not super athletes. They are average people simply doing what they enjoy. I think it's more mental than physical.

Of course, a person doesn't need to be a competitive athlete to be physically fit. 4-5 days a week of walking, swimming, or going to the gym can put one in better shape than the average 20 or 30 year old.

One of my ER goals is to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (Mexico to Canada). If this actually happens, I may do it with one of my friends. She is currently 60. There aren't many 20 year old's who are physically and mentally fit enough to hike 2500+ miles, at elevation, over mountainous terrain.

I've gained a lot of weight over the last 5 years that I attribute to my job. Yes, it's my fault for gaining the weight, but work certainly hasn't helped. I look at (pending) ER as an opportunity to "reclaim myself." Work has been killing me (literally). I believe that ER will save me.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #47

Quote:
What I mean is that there's no reason that the average 60 year old can't be as fit or even more fit than those in their 20's. Most people can be very physically active well into their 80's. For example, I go bicycling with people in their 60's/70's who have more endurance/speed than their grandchildren. They can do things that most people would find astonishing. And these people are not super athletes. They are average people simply doing what they enjoy. I think it's more mental than physical.
While there are a number of medical reasons why older people may have issues with exercise, I fully hope/expect to be more active after I retire than before - my "to do" list includes spending a lot more time on the local trails, an overseas marathon or two, scuba diving, sailing, canoeing, possibly a triathalon - all things I simply do not have the time for while working. Best of all, I'll be able to do these things without having to make a habit of getting out of bed at 6 am.

I found this book mildly motivational: Younger Next Year: Turn Back Your Biological Clock: Amazon.co.uk: Christopher Crowley, Henry Lodge: Books
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Heh. "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'. "

Perhaps the people who gave up work completely constitutes a pool that contains not just healthy active early retirees, but also folks who were too ill to carry on working either full or part-time.
Right. Also, people who continue working "in the same field" probably enjoyed their work before retirement, and found a way to keep the best parts. Consider the college prof who teaches just the courses that were always the most fun, but dumps the committee work.

I don't know how any study could accurately adjust for these important variables.

Note that according to a poll, most people on this board said the final decision on when to retire was driven by negatives at work, rather positives about retirement activities. They got downsized, couldn't get along with a new boss, didn't like new responsibilities, or just had an "I can't take the corporate BS any longer" epiphany. Those reasons don't lend themselves to continuing to work part time in their old field.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #49

I try to adjust my bedtime hours/waking hours to my wife´s who still has to work-for another 14 years! Mon to Fri I´m up an about by no later than 7.30 AM. I make a point of seeing her off to work. And no, I don´t go back to bed once she is gone.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Exactly what is the difference between going to bed at 10PM and getting up at 6AM and bed at 12:30AM and up at 8:30AM? Except that now I can stay up until 12:30AM and sleep until 8:30AM.
None. Except Mondays when I need to get trash and recyclables to the curb by 8AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #51
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I see no reason why the average retiree / early retiree can't reclaim his or her youth. What I mean is that there's no reason that the average 60 year old can't be as fit or even more fit than those in their 20's. Most people can be very physically active well into their 80's. For example, I go bicycling with people in their 60's/70's who have more endurance/speed than their grandchildren. They can do things that most people would find astonishing. And these people are not super athletes. They are average people simply doing what they enjoy. I think it's more mental than physical.

Well, except for some nasty DNA.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Get to see the late night shows.

My normal hit the sack time lately is around 10 or 10:30. And no interest in the late night shows. Still practicing retirement, only have three years experience. Another ten or so and I'll be a good beginner.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
...My normal hit the sack time lately is around 10 or 10:30. And no interest in the late night shows. Still practicing retirement, only have three years experience. Another ten or so and I'll be a good beginner.
Yeah, exactly what ls99 said, except modify exp time to 2.5 years.
Still an anti-TV (non educational TV, that is ) fanatic here. Hey, I avoid politics and religion so I have to be passionate about something besides sex and money.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

I usually go to bed at 11 and wake up at 8:30. I'm trying to make up for all the 5:15 wake up days.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

So, early retirement may kill you. But does one die with a smile on her face?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #56

1-4AM to bed and up at 9AM-12PM lol
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I usually go to bed at 11 and wake up at 8:30. I'm trying to make up for all the 5:15 wake up days.
Just about the same for me.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

After asking questions about sleep and health issues, I started a little test on how it might be for me in retirement. I'm taking 2 weeks vacation so decided to pretend (somewhat) that I was retired. Started off staying up way to late and sleeping to late (not planned just happened). Then I automatically started waking up rather early. So, I started doing little projects that I had been putting off forever & ever. I'll have to say it is really nice to accomplish these little things at my own speed without a worry. I'm just doing one at a time and if I get tired, I chill out.
I THINK I COULD LIVE LIKE THIS FULL TIME !!!!
It really is nice to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.
After just 3 or 4 days, I started getting into the thought of the life style and enjoying it.
Hey, I'm a fast learner or maybe just a natural born Lazy Arse .
Hopefully my family health insurance coverage and my financial plans will come together soon.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If so, do you consider it a mistake, as far as health is concerned?
Is it better to try and maintain an early to rise life style?
Is there merit in the Early to bed, early to rise, makes retiree's health wealthy and wise?....
I've tried to settle on an early time to get up because many of my favorite activites start in the morning or mid-day. Even on days without those plans, I do want to be up and about before sunset which is earlier this time of year. Don't know if I've reached an age where I need less sleep or if I need less sleep because the job stress is gone and sleep is sounder. This may be against the retirees' code of ethics but I do sometimes set an alarm. I'm also starting to cut down on caffeine, and if I must have a cup after noon, I make it decaf now.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #60

Quote:
I do want to be up and about before sunset which is earlier this time of year
I can see why you still need an alarm clock?