Could it be identity theft?

FIREd

Moderator Emeritus
In the past few weeks we have started to receive weird mailings. They are addressed to someone carrying a name similar to my wife's and with our exact mailing address. They are mostly credit card offers, loan offers and annuity settlement offers. We have lived here for 5 years, and this is the first time we have received mailings addressed to that person.

That person's first name is a shortened version of my wife's first name (like "dot" for "dorothy") but DW has never been known by that particular nickname. The middle initial is wrong. And the last name is DW's maiden name which is very common.

I checked DW's credit reports and they are clean. Because DW's name is very common, it would not the first time she is confused for someone else. Two years ago, we were besieged by creditors looking for someone with a vaguely similar name (though it was different from the name on the mailings we are currently receiving). But I am afraid someone is trying to steal her identity.

Should we put a freeze on her credit? Can we even do that if no fraud has officially been committed yet?

definitely requires your due diligence in watching the credit reports - there are alos services (yes I know they cost money) that notify you of any changes... may be worth it to keep the worries at bay...

Back
Top Bottom