Could not take my job anymore

UnrealizedPotential

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi everyone. It has been a while since I posted anything. I have been busy. I sold my place and I am moving. I will use the escrow funds plus other savings to fund retirement. I should be fine. I never planned to quit so early at 46. I planned to work until 52. It will not happen. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired so I quit. I never reached 250k in my savings. I passed that up a long ways back now that my place is sold. I have to figure out health care and I will. I thought when this moment came I would jump for joy. No, it's not happening like that. It's just business as usual. My employer was less than understanding about it. I thought there would be a card at least maybe a cake. I got nothing. So that is what I gave them when I walked out the door-nothing. All anyone is is a number when working a job. The reality is employers don't care about you only themselves and their problems. But I am ready to face the future. I can still get my pension in about 10 years. I don't need it now. I am going to live near my relatives and they are happy to have me and I am happy to go. So that is my story.

Congratulations? I got sick of my job and left sooner than optimal too. My job was just an awful bore and I did leave on good terms and got a card to boot! When I left I wondered if I was ERing or taking a sabbatical. Still wondering but haven't closed off returning to work. Did Cobra through then end of last year and then went on a silver plan on the exchange. Pay 47 per month and already hit my 500 deductible and annual out of pocket max at age 53. Sorry you had some friction on your way out the door. I didn't. I had almost 25 reasonably pleasant years and one surprise was how very little I think about the place I left. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I would say my employer was indifferent and cold. I worked for many years . I am going to have to find something else to do. Not a job , but develop some hobbies . Give myself a purpose. I just know I will never go back to the job I had.

I hear ya. I need more hobbies and purpose too. Spend way too much time on the sofa!

Also, when I said sabbatical I didn't mean it in the classical sense where I would return to my former job but more that I was holding open the option to have a second career doing something more interesting. 46 is very young. You have lots of options.

Well it wasn't in my plans to quit at 46. I just woke up one day and knew it was time. I look forward to whatever the future holds. Like the song says there's no future in the past.

Congratulations on having the ability to leave an untenable spot and move on to better things! I think you're going to like it.

Congratulations. I woke up done one time, couple of months later I retired. Take a while to decompress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Well it wasn't in my plans to quit at 46. I just woke up one day and knew it was time. I look forward to whatever the future holds. Like the song says there's no future in the past.

Congratulations! And whatever the future holds, I think you will enjoy the adventures ahead. :)

Woke up one morning at 53 and decided it was time to go, retired at 54, going on 65 next month. My biggest mistake was I didn't go sooner like at age 50. Employees are by and large a cost of doing business and even if you're generating value and revenue there is always somebody else waiting in the wings that can do it just as well. Loyalty goes both ways but I truly believe it is a thing of the past and will pretty much die out with the baby boomer generation.

Good luck! Maybe without the shackles and bonds of that place of employment, you will be free to realize your potential.

all the best!

happy for you that you got out when you did. I regretfully did the OMY thing about 3 years or so. It cost me stress and worries I did not need. I did not have the guts to quit - I got laid off. It takes courage to recognize AND act on it as you have done. Congratulations!

Good luck Unrealized. I'm a week into ER after resigning. Like Llep, I too left on good standing. In fact, I have an offer from my former boss to contact him should I decide that I want to work again. Right now I'm just trying to figure out the next phase of my life. Doing all kinds of things around the house that I've put off for a while. I don't necessarily see myself going back to the same company thinking I would be put back in the situation that I left purposely.

I will say it's a wonderful thing to sleep through the night without waking up thinking about the 17 things I was working on and realizing they weren't all getting done. My stress has melted away. The only remaining stress is making sure the DW, who still is working, is happy. ;) So far, so good; she's a trooper regardless.

I will say the other thing that's an interesting change is thinking about spending. When both DW and I were working at our respective well paying jobs, I rarely fretted about spending money, going out, etc. Now I pay more attention to things like that. Last night we went out with friends, had drinks and ate dinner out. I'm now much more attentive to the cost of those items. I wonder whether that thinking will level out or perhaps be even more hyper-sensitive to it in the future.

Hi everyone. It has been a while since I posted anything. I have been busy. I sold my place and I am moving. I will use the escrow funds plus other savings to fund retirement. I should be fine. I never planned to quit so early at 46. I planned to work until 52. It will not happen. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired so I quit. I never reached 250k in my savings. I passed that up a long ways back now that my place is sold. I have to figure out health care and I will. I thought when this moment came I would jump for joy. No, it's not happening like that. It's just business as usual. My employer was less than understanding about it. I thought there would be a card at least maybe a cake. I got nothing. So that is what I gave them when I walked out the door-nothing. All anyone is is a number when working a job. The reality is employers don't care about you only themselves and their problems. But I am ready to face the future. I can still get my pension in about 10 years. I don't need it now. I am going to live near my relatives and they are happy to have me and I am happy to go. So that is my story.

The same thing happened to me at 38. The same feelings to. I am helping a relative now and later plan to work for my church. Going back to school will be hard but for the church I will try. I lost all interest in a lot of things from my youth. I wanted to share a song with you

Thank you for the song. I did listen to it. Good song. We can never plan too far ahead in life. It just happens unexpectedly. Let us plan for life as we can and let us accept the future as it happens all around us. My life has turned out far different than what I thought it would. But I am not sad. I take my chances and play my cards when it is my turn. I am learning about things all the time. I do think there is much joy in learning.

UnrealizedPotential:

I hate to say it, but you sound depressed. If after a while you don't feel better about your decision to retire and your position in life, you might want to see a physician. You may be one pill away from feeling on top of the world.

Life goes on, and most changes are for the better in the long run.

UnrealizedPotential:

I hate to say it, but you sound depressed. If after a while you don't feel better about your decision to retire and your position in life, you might want to see a physician. You may be one pill away from feeling on top of the world.

Life goes on, and most changes are for the better in the long run.
It will be a big change for me for sure. I am ready for it. I think emotionally I was ready for it quite some time ago. Financially it took some time to catch up. But you are right in the sense I am not excited about it. I think that since it has been so long in coming and I was NOT expecting it to come so soon it caught me off guard and I will have to get used to the fact that working a job will not be my life anymore. Life outside of work will be the biggest adjustment. I have some ideas already how to fill the time that my job used to take. I will figure it out. I spent most of my time figuring out how to financially get out of my job and very little with what to do after I achieved it. I do look forward to be free but I do not want to be just a couch potato. I hope this helps explain my feelings.

OP, not sure if you are one of those glass-half-empty types or are depressed or just had the wrong employer. While all four of my employers had their occasional challenges... they were all pretty good... especially my last employer.

You'll be ok... chin up!

OP, not sure if you are one of those glass-half-empty types or are depressed or just had the wrong employer. While all four of my employers had their occasional challenges... they were all pretty good... especially my last employer.

You'll be ok... chin up!
I am already feeling better. Tomorrow my escrow closes and my check will be deposited and I will put it to work. Then the rest of my life begins.

Back
Top Bottom