Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

"Joe" had better watch his back.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
The company is a small hi tech growth company and long hours are already built into the culture. On the other hand no one hassled you if you took a comp day, but there was no official policy that I was ever aware of (I am a Manager).
Don't get my wrong Hydro, "Joe" sounds like he could use a few days at charm school and I'd also be perturbed at the tone of his communication if I had received it. But if, as you point out, people are already working long hours as a part of your company's culture, I'm trying to imagine what he was trying to change. Is it possible that a few folks were abusing comp time and "Joe" launched this poorly written communication in an effort to reign them in?

Old 02-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Hmmmmmmm...... always spell correctly when slamming someone else's spelling! (to instead of too) Just kidding...........
Touche!!! My mind races better than my fingers!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Actually the Director of HR is a direct report to him and was included on the email.
Too bad that the HR Director does not understand it is part of his goal to prevent problems. This ill thought out email is a loaded gun just waiting to be fired...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: Could there be any better reason this to ER?

Quote:
You might get along with him better then you think. "Joe" just came off of a 7 month fly fishing sabatical that I am sure was paid for by the generous equity incentive package he liquidated after executing an "M&A" on the backs of the wage slaves at the last company he worked for.
There are a lot of assholes that try to flyfish. (They usually aren't very good, tip their flies with bait, and won't listen to instruction)
Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #26

"My take is that exempt employees are paid to get the job done and that could take up to 10-12 hours per day on some days, maybe more. "

And people wonder why I don't want to become a perm employee.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Is it possible that a few folks were abusing comp time and "Joe" launched this poorly written communication in an effort to reign them in?
He has only been here 3 weeks, so I do not think he knows if there are any abusers or not. His email was only sent to his 5 direct reports which includes me. We are expected to carry the message down the food chain. Joe is the new CFO hired by the BOD to cut costs, and position the company for an M&A or IPO in the next 12-24 months. His incentive is a nice equity package that will fund another 6 months of fly fishing and maybe his own ER. The hell with the rest of us.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I once worked for a CFO named Joe who shared the same sick work ethic as Hydroman’s Joe. Might even have been the same guy. He was so far out in the workaholic left field that within a few months of taking over the CFO job, he’d sent employee morale into the toilet.

In a staff meeting one day prior to the Thanksgiving holidays, Joe was upset that a pet but non-critical project was behind schedule. He wanted me to put extra manpower on it to get it completed by the end of the month. I mentioned it would be tough to do since the next day was the start of a 4-day holiday. He then launched (for the umpteenth time) into a tirade on how he worked 60+ hour weeks all his working career and expected everyone else to follow his example. He went on about how he had rarely been home in time to see his now grown children before they went to bed, worked most weekends, and had worked the past three Thanksgiving holidays.

Meanwhile, close to FI but not quite there, I listened in silence along with his other direct reports in the room. He finally stopped, ending with his big finish about having worked the past several Thanksgiving holidays, and looked at me.

I said, “Joe, if you are proud of that, then I feel very sorry for you.”

I think he was so shocked by my response that he didn’t know what to say, because we immediately moved on to another subject. To my surprise, he never appeared to hold it against me. Of course he never changed his mind about slavery, but what do you expect of someone like that?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Just received this email from my new boss (CFO). He could not have provided any more incentive to accelerate my
In the words of our president "it's gonna be hard work"... but I'm confident that we can be successful.
Not too swift quoting W re Iraq. Setting himself up for failure IMO.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #30

Re: Could there be any better reason this to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Sounds to me like Joe's a brown-nosing SCHMUCK!

My last supervisor was a brown-nosing shmuck, too. We (the employees under his oversight) worked quietly (stealthily) behind the scenes to make certain HIS boss became aware of his ineptness, and thus became increasingly unhappy with him! The shmuck got dumped
Ohhhh, sounds like there is a good story in there. Common, what happened?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #31

From ReWaHoo
"Meanwhile, close to FI but not quite there, I listened in silence along with his other direct reports in the room. He finally stopped, ending with his big finish about having worked the past several Thanksgiving holidays, and looked at me.

I said, “Joe, if you are proud of that, then I feel very sorry for you.” "

Great response. These guys thrive on intimitation and fear. A calm, well executed response can do wonders, but alas, I usually think of them hours later. Joe's attitude is scary and pathetic at the same time.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #32

i always thought there were legal limits on how many hours an employee can work without being paid overtime even on exempt status.

not that it ever effected this lazy xempted xemployee. the company monitored us by a point system and so i concentrated on the stuff that gave me the most points, which, for me, happened to be the very same stuff that took the least amount of time. hmmm, that worked out well.

i guess that exemption thing can work both ways, if you know how to work it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Joe is the new CFO hired by the BOD to cut costs, and position the company for an M&A or IPO in the next 12-24 months. His incentive is a nice equity package that will fund another 6 months of fly fishing and maybe his own ER. The hell with the rest of us.
I've lived through one of each of these. Both were hellish, and both resulted in employee cuts as the post-IPO company had a new pressure to make numbers every quarter and the post-merger company gave "redundant" employees the boot.

While I agree that your new boss is a class A jerk, I have to wonder if you have bigger fish to fry. Are you vested in any company stock you may have been issued? Is there some reason to believe you will share in the IPO bounty?

If not, you might want to spend 30-40 hours at work actually DOING work for the company. Whatever floats your ethical boat.

After that, stay an extra couple of hours every evening looking like you're slaving away, though you are actually hard at work on your job search.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i always thought there were legal limits on how many hours an employee can work without being paid overtime even on exempt status.
Not really. Being exempt means you are exempt from certain provisions of the Fair Labor Act. One of them being paid for hours worked in excess of 8 poer day and 40 per week.

Being exempt means you are there to do a job; no matter how many hours it takes.

I don't ever remember working less than a 50 hour week. I am now pushing 60+ hours since I am doing three jobs at the present time. I am compensated for the job grade not for how long I am here.

FWIW, I have worked for several Joes in my career. It was expected you worked 12+ hour days and you were really looked down on if you left before the rest of the herd. After a while you just learn to either accept it or get another job. It sucks but that is the way it is someplaces.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline

If not, you might want to spend 30-40 hours at work actually DOING work for the company. Whatever floats your ethical boat.
I not sure how to take that comment. I am home today on PTO. My work week ended last night at 8:30 after putting in 63 hours since Sunday night. My mistake was logging on to my work email today on my day off, just to find that email from my boss that I posted here.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

My profession (I'm in medicine) culturally has adopted long hours, weekends, and holidays. I knew that, and never object to staying late to take care of patients, to round on weekends in the hospital, or deal with 3 am emergencies. It is part of what I do, so I grin and bear it.

OTOH, when my administrative colleagues start calling for 7 am meetings, 5 pm meetings and weekend "retreats" over and above my already long hours I used to silently fume while playing the good citizen.

But I evolved from that: now I just don't play. Unless it's an unusual situation, I'll go home.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR

Being exempt means you are there to do a job; no matter how many hours it takes.
Yes that is clearly understood. So if an employee completes their job in 40, 50 or 60 hours over 4 days, why should the employee have to donate another 8 hours of PTO to the company. In fact using the "paid to do a job" rule, an employee can walk out after 20 hours and get a full weeks pay if "the job is done". That is the law too.

By the way the crux of this topic is not really about the long hours but the expectation that you still need to charge your day off to PTO when you have already put in your hours and completed your job. It is pouring salt on an open wound.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Three words . . . Free Labor Market.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #39

Quote:

By the way the crux of this topic is not really about the long hours but the expectation that you still need to charge your day off to PTO when you have already put in your hours and completed your job. It is pouring salt on an open wound.

Understood.

My company does not do comp. time. PTO, Non-PTO, and death (family; not your own) are the only ways to be "off" without being considered AWOL. When I relocated here I was actually charged PTO to do so. Had I known that ahead of time I might very well have told them to shove the job. However, I learned to deal with it and now have a clear exit plan. I never intended to be here longer than one year but s*it happens and I stayed.

I happen to agree that comp. time should be available for exempts who work excessive hours. My previous company did that for certain levels in the organization i.e., production superviors who had to work several weekend a year etc. Sometimes comp. time was given informally by your boss. He approved your PTO time and could "authorize" some time off as long as it was not made public. I have done that and still do. If HR calls me on it I will simply ask for forgiveness and continue the practice.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #40

youbet seems to think the coin might have another side. I like that.

Hate to say it, I might like Joe. Lousy bedside manner. If the handwritings on the wall it does no good to kill the messenger. Thats enough cliches for 1 post.

Regardless of whos side you want to take if the choice is to ER or not to ER... duh, I pick ER Can't go wrong.