Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.
Helena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 655
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb

Helena, I think the responsible thing to do would be to call a newspaper or email them from a throwaway email account like Hotmail
if you can substantiate that.

Cb

I couldn't believe it either when my co-workers told me.
I thought it was 7 minutes a day... but it is 7 minutes a
week... then we all went to an adherence meeting and
it was confirmed.

When checking on the internet, I found employees
ranting about having to schedule their bathroom time
at lunch or regular breaks... here is one example where
the employee doesn't even get 7 minutes a week for
the bathroom !

http://callcentreredemption.blogspot...000-month.html



__________________

__________________
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
He has only been here 3 weeks, so I do not think he knows if there are any abusers or not. His email was only sent to his 5 direct reports which includes me. We are expected to carry the message down the food chain. Joe is the new CFO hired by the BOD to cut costs, and position the company for an M&A or IPO in the next 12-24 months. His incentive is a nice equity package that will fund another 6 months of fly fishing and maybe his own ER. The hell with the rest of us.
So, Hydro, have you forwarded his e-mail to Scott Adams? Maybe Dogbert needs to mock this entitlement policy in a future strip...
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:17 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 186
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

absolutely insane and board line illegal if not UNETHICAL

i am a boss and tell my employees these things...

"~we all need to take a day off now and then... totally acceptable. burn out makes you extremely unproductive ...lets avoid it.
~family first, so do not miss school plays, teachers conference and get home early enough for family time
~if you work o/t put it on your time cards. i will not respect you any more or less if you work over 40 hours and only put 40 hours."

i have climbed the corporate latter and have adhered to these rules and it did not hinder my success ONE bit. 8)
__________________
We should all feel blessed!
wstu32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #64
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,949
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
Just received this email from my new boss (CFO). He could not have provided any more incentive to accelerate my early retirement. Could not be a better reason then this to LBYM and get the hell out of the corporate grind.

Joe's Comp Time Philosophy

Team-

I'm not a fan of regular comp time.

My take is that exempt employees are paid to get the job done and that could take up to 10-12 hours per day on some days, maybe more. If I work 60 hours by Thursday night and take Friday off, it's PTO from my perspective, not a given comp day. If I work 60 hours each week for some time, then I might ask my boss to through me an occasional bone, but no expectations.

I know you are all working long hours and giving it your all, but I need everyone on my team to help me change the entitlement culture at our company so we can be successful.

In the words of our president "it's gonna be hard work"... but I'm confident that we can be successful.

Please spread the folklore and thank you for your support, Joe

This is so bad. Frank is going through a similar thing - - he worked eleven 10-hour days in a row, and was scheduled to have yesterday off. He was called at home after 4 hours off and was asked "what kind of game he was playing" for taking his scheduled day off, and told to drop everything (he had plans to have dinner with his father and me) and rush out to work. He is not a happy camper today.

He is a senior engineer at a large aerospace facility. This sort of thing makes me glad that I did not use my electrical engineering degree to take an engineering job (instead, used it as a basis for graduate degrees and career in physical oceanography). This is such bad management. Although I realize all companies do not have this "corporate culture", far too many do. Ultimately such practices discourage people from considering engineering as a career.

Like you, Frank is planning to ER as soon as possible. If it gets unbearable before then he may decide to change jobs, but he has less than 3 years to go so right now his plan is to carry on.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,038
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

12 hour days
no Breaks
occasional lunches
swing shifts
having to watch the cost of supplies
no comp time
mandatory overtime

Welcome to Nursing !
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,446
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Although I disagree with some of the decisions my boss makes as a manager, I have to say he is the complete opposite of Joe. He has never told anyone that you have to work extra hours. But most of us know we have a job to do and you do what it takes to get the job done. I have worked the last 3 weekends and will go to the office later this morning, but I don't hold it against my boss. I am paid well so I do my job.

I'm also retiring in a few weeks.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,330
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

I think all you whiners need to buck up, shut up and do your jobs.

I hate to admit it but I was one eager wage slave that happily did my 7-12's during unit turnarounds and startups. I routinely worked 10 to 12 hour days and was available 24x7. That was the way up. Pay your dues and someday you could be the big guy. I went through several jobs where I quit and several where I was put out on the street before I realized the great scam. Once you realize you aren't in line for the brass ring, you also realize it ain't worth it just for the crappy job you have.

After my last unplanned career change in 2002, I now have a job where I get paid OT (only straight time) and can take unpaid time off after I burn my 23 annual PTO days. Until this position, I was always in the expected, unpaid overtime jobs. I can't believe how wonderful this current arrangement is. In addition to being paid for OT, there are absolutely no office in-fighting or politicing (that I've seen, anyway). The funniest part is that my current position is a lowly grunt; and with the very small amount of OT I got last year, I actually made more than my last full year as a "senior manager."

Since the employment market has recovered I'm now getting calls about the kink of jobs I used to have. I have no intention of leaving here until FIRE time.
__________________
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,020
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
I think all you whiners need to buck up, shut up and do your jobs.

I hate to admit it but I was one eager wage slave that happily did my 7-12's during unit turnarounds and startups. I routinely worked 10 to 12 hour days and was available 24x7. That was the way up. Pay your dues and someday you could be the big guy.
2B, that was your choice, and good luck to you. For many people, it is not their choice.

To the posters who are not allowed breaks, check the employment legislation in your state or province. I do recall that a diabetic gas pump attendant who was not allowed to take a break for her entire 8 hour shift (!) brought a successful lawsuit against her employer in my province some years ago. Here are some details from the employment standards relevant to the case:

"An employer cannot force you to work overtime, unless it is a condition of employment. You must be given 1 day off work in every 7 days. For every 5 consecutive hours that you work, your employer must allow you at least 30 minutes unpaid meal break. The employer does not have to pay you for that time. Employers are not obligated to provide coffee breaks but some do."

Finally, consider the dangers of overwork. Not only is it hazardous to your health, but it may be hazardous to other people, too. This has now been well proven in the case of nurses and
doctors.

__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
After my last unplanned career change in 2002, I now have a job where I get paid OT (only straight time) and can take unpaid time off after I burn my 23 annual PTO days. Until this position, I was always in the expected, unpaid overtime jobs. I can't believe how wonderful this current arrangement is. In addition to being paid for OT, there are absolutely no office in-fighting or politicing (that I've seen, anyway). The funniest part is that my current position is a lowly grunt; and with the very small amount of OT I got last year, I actually made more than my last full year as a "senior manager."
So why work so hard to get ahead?
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,330
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
So why work so hard to get ahead?
I agree. I would describe my earlier post more along the lines of confessing my sins. I'm ready to RE but I would like to put the FI in front of it before I do. My current means of accumulating wealth is so much more pleasant than my earlier attempts. If it works out like I hope, I will slowly start taking more and more unpaid time off while keeping the medical benefits. Eventually, they will catch on and send me off into FIRE.

__________________
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 129
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

This thread makes me feel fortunate.

I've been a software engineer for over 15 years now and have always worked at places where 8 hour day is the norm. Sometimes when the tradeshow is coming up or the fires happen it's longer, but just as often nobody cares if bail to take dog to vet, get on the road to Vegas early on Friday afternoon, or meet the plumber at home for a few hours.

I've also always worked at places with flexible hours... some work 7:30 - 4:30, some 9-6, whatever.

I guess it helps that with the exception of 2001-2004 timeframe it's been pretty much a seller's market from the job seeker perspective here, but sheesh even the thought of being expected to work 10 hour days makes me queasy.
__________________
WRBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 129
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Also - I'm the lead now of our little software group here (the awkward phase of peer to boss is still dying out) and made it clear my expectations are similar to wstu32.

Stay focused and work hard when you're here, call me if you're going to be in after 9:00 am, and I sure won't be the guy putting a red mark in your file for sneaking out to the occasional happy hour with the hot chicks in marketing at 3:30 on Friday.

It works both ways if I do need them to be here at 6:30 am for an important East coast call, come in on Sunday to play server roulette, or fly to Japan on short notice they're always on the ball.

It's a balance, and I'll never understand the Joes of the world.
__________________
WRBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,020
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tui_xiu
This thread makes me feel fortunate.

I've been a software engineer for over 15 years now and have always worked at places where 8 hour day is the norm. Sometimes when the tradeshow is coming up or the fires happen it's longer, but just as often nobody cares if bail to take dog to vet, get on the road to Vegas early on Friday afternoon, or meet the plumber at home for a few hours.

I've also always worked at places with flexible hours... some work 7:30 - 4:30, some 9-6, whatever.

I guess it helps that with the exception of 2001-2004 timeframe it's been pretty much a seller's market from the job seeker perspective here, but sheesh even the thought of being expected to work 10 hour days makes me queasy.
You are VERY fortunate indeed!

As a medical professional, I have had a professional obligation to provide 24/7 service in various forms, including 7 days straight (as an attending, including ~90-100 hours per week at the hospital and the remainder on call) and, as a resident, in-hospital, first on call stretches of up to 60 hours).

Nowadays, residents in Canada are not allowed to provide patient care for more than 28 hours straight (), though they may study or do research.

Now that I am a boss (of people who are not residents) I take great care to ensure that my staff do not work unreasonable hours. On occasion, they may work a long day to meet a deadline, but I encourage them to take corresponding time off and to take personal time for good reasons. People who are treated well will produce better work and will be fiercely loyal. Everyone wins in the end.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,812
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

I'm another one who spent their Saturday in the office. It isn't anyone saying that I must work extra hours and not getting paid. The reality is there is too much to do and not enough time in normal office hours. I could choose not to go in on my own time, but then the stress levels next week would be incredible as I would be so far behind. I probably achieved more in 5 hours at the office today then I would in a normal 8-10 hour day. It is so productive working on weekends without telephone/email/people interruptions, so much more gets done.
__________________

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,812
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

I should add that I am a Manager and when required I do ask my staff to work overtime. However, they are all hourly employees who enjoy a few extra $'s. I never put any pressure on anyone to come in if they don't want to and never hold it against them at review time.
__________________

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 927
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
Stay focused and work hard when you're here, call me if you're going to be in after 9:00 am, and I sure won't be the guy putting a red mark in your file for sneaking out to the occasional happy hour with the hot chicks in marketing at 3:30 on Friday.
Are you in Silly-con Valley and if so, can I come work for your company? Will it help my chances any if I tell you I'm a chick and I work in Marketing?
__________________
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 325
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Here is my one second summation on these Corporate Droids with their "work hard and make us proud" BS:

"The best tactic is to only work just so hard that you do not get fired, since the Company only pays you just enough to keep you from quiting." :
__________________
"TEMPUS FUGIT"
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:41 AM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,330
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Are you in Silly-con Valley and if so, can I come work for your company? Will it help my chances any if I tell you I'm a chick and I work in Marketing?
It's the hot chicks in Marketing. You must state your full qualifications to be considered. It has also been my experience that the hot chicks in Marketing don't go out with engineers unless they're upper managers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
I should add that I am a Manager and when required I do ask my staff to work overtime. However, they are all hourly employees who enjoy a few extra $'s. I never put any pressure on anyone to come in if they don't want to and never hold it against them at review time.
I'm glad your "timer" has only a few months until you retire. As a recovering ex-manager, saying how productive you are when working weekends is a real sign that you have lost touch with reality and your priorities are totally skewed.
__________________
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

I just read this whole thread. It sounds like it is time for employees to begin to unionize again.

Hydroman, as the memo went to managers that are to pass the word down, isn't it possible to go to Joe and ask him what is the goal? Is it increased productivity? If so, we should talk more about what will make employees more productive as the effect on morale will be counter productive. Is it a problem of people not using their PTO and then losing it?

I don't come from a mega-corp backround so I don't know if such a conversation is possible.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Re: Could there be any better reason to ER?

Martha,
I have to agree with you about unions. You can almost trace the rise and fall of the middle class with the rise and fall of union membership - with a little time lag. Unfortunately, union leadership is stuck in the early unionization mindeset.

We need unions now to get workers - fair working conditions; fair wages; health benefits; retirement benefits and to stop the exportation of jobs. The caveit being US companies must remain competitive on the international sceen.

It is not going to happen for a couple of reasons. One being that unions have a negative image in most if not all strata of the labor force. It would be a sign of defeat if a MBA came home and said he joined union.
Also, a lot of people identify with the management and not as being a worker.

__________________

__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why I'm glad I'm retired" reason #437 Nords Life after FIRE 19 04-06-2007 09:28 PM
Another reason to exercise Dreamer Health and Early Retirement 1 03-31-2007 06:51 PM
One more reason REWahoo FIRE and Money 36 09-25-2006 11:35 AM
And yet another reason for RE tangomonster Hi, I am... 8 06-07-2006 01:11 AM
The reason for FIRE! cyclone6 FIRE and Money 38 06-02-2006 06:34 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.