Could there be any better reason to ER?

Hydroman

Recycles dryer sheets
Just received this email from my new boss (CFO). He could not have provided any more incentive to accelerate my early retirement. Could not be a better reason then this to LBYM and get the hell out of the corporate grind.

Joe's Comp Time Philosophy

Team-

I'm not a fan of regular comp time.

My take is that exempt employees are paid to get the job done and that could take up to 10-12 hours per day on some days, maybe more. If I work 60 hours by Thursday night and take Friday off, it's PTO from my perspective, not a given comp day. If I work 60 hours each week for some time, then I might ask my boss to through me an occasional bone, but no expectations.

I know you are all working long hours and giving it your all, but I need everyone on my team to help me change the entitlement culture at our company so we can be successful.

In the words of our president "it's gonna be hard work"... but I'm confident that we can be successful.

Please spread the folklore and thank you for your support, Joe

Re: Could there be any better reason this to ER?

Me and Joe would not get along for all kinds of reasons. :bat:

This kind of thinking is absolutely infuriating!! I too have been putting up with it... for more than thirty years now. You put in 12, 14 and sometimes even 16 hours in a single day to get the job done and then someone wants to dock you a half day of vacation when you have to leave early on Friday to go to the dentist!!

The entitlement culture that Joe talks about is really coming from MegaCorp! They feel ENTITLED to abuse you any way they like!

Joe sounds like so many other people who spew BS... and I would ignore him also..

I remember one of my bosses who kept trying to get me to work their ridiculous hours of overtime... he said similar things... you are a professional... you need to 'do whatever it takes to get the job done'....

When I said he did not pay me enough to work 80 hours weeks... he said 'you get psychic rewards'.... I said I get enough psychic rewards working my 40 hours... I just ignored him and kept doing what I did ... he went away eventually..

But, it is a cultural thing with these people... they do THRIVE on this and want MORE of it like a drug...

What he needs to do is find out all the crap work that is going on and get rid of it... OR hire enough people so everyone does not have to work 60 plus hours per week...

Sounds to me like Joe's a brown-nosing SCHMUCK!

My last supervisor was a brown-nosing shmuck, too. We (the employees under his oversight) worked quietly (stealthily) behind the scenes to make certain HIS boss became aware of his ineptness, and thus became increasingly unhappy with him! The shmuck got dumped and replaced with someone that could get along better with us, and then productivity increased. Without gestapo tactics!

ScaredtoQuit said:
This kind of thinking is absolutely infuriating!! I too have been putting up with it... for more than thirty years now. You put in 12, 14 and sometimes even 16 hours in a single day to get the job done and then someone wants to dock you a half day of vacation when you have to leave early on Friday to go to the dentist!!

The entitlement culture that Joe talks about is really coming from MegaCorp! They feel ENTITLED to abuse you any way they like!

One of the lawyers might chime in on this one.... but I remember a case ( I think it was Boeing)... where a 'professional' was docked half a day to go to the dentist... well, he decided to sue. It became a class action lawsuit. He said, if you can dock me then I am not an exempt employee and you must pay me for all the overtime I have done... and since it went class action... all the people like me... I think it cost them a few 100 mill...

So, next time they say they are going to dock... just mention this...

Cut-Throat said:
Me and Joe would not get along for all kinds of reasons. :bat:

You might get along with him better then you think. "Joe" just came off of a 7 month fly fishing sabatical that I am sure was paid for by the generous equity incentive package he liquidated after executing an "M&A" on the backs of the wage slaves at the last company he worked for.

This is the worst horror story boss I have heard of. He definitely doesn't get it, what a pin head jerk. My company enjoys very little turnover, and employees who gladly burn the midnight oil. Why? 9/80 schedule and 100% flexible comp time. If you hit your 80 hours for the pay period (2 weeks) you can bail. Everyone can do occasional telecommuting, and if you work over 80, you get paid overtime (even though we are officially "exempt salaried"). I know I've griped a lot on this board about my particular group, but big picture I feel pretty lucky.

Hydroman....... just curious, what was the comp policy (official or otherwise) at your company before "Joe" came along?

Is Joe putting in his 60+ hr. weeks?

-CC

youbet said:
Hydroman....... just curious, what was the comp policy (official or otherwise) at your company before "Joe" came along?

Manager's discretion, no real policy. For the most part, if you did your job, put 40 or more hours in, then you just took the comp time. Of course "Joes" philosphy is consistent with the new directive that your PTO bank needs to be burned down to 120 hours max by the end of the year.

Not only is he too arrogant to run spell/language check (through vs throw). He is also to ignorant to put crap into writing that legal/HR dept would certainly site as not company policy. As the labor law has been interpreted if you are salary you get the work done. Does not matter if 4 hours 3 days a week or 14 hours 6 days a week. Wann-be leaders are a joke only we can't laugh while they screw with our lives and paychecks.

Hydroman said:
Manager's discretion, no real policy.

What was typically happening in the area "Joe" now manages? It sounds like you're saying that exempts who put in any hours beyond 40 took comp time. Is that it?

crazy connie said:
Not only is he too arrogant to run spell/language check (through vs throw). He is also to ignorant to put crap into writing that legal/HR dept would certainly site as not company policy.

Actually the Director of HR is a direct report to him and was included on the email.

youbet said:
What was typically happening in the area "Joe" now manages? It sounds like you're saying that exempts who put in any hours beyond 40 took comp time. Is that it?

The company is a small hi tech growth company and long hours are already built into the culture. On the other hand no one hassled you if you took a comp day, but there was no official policy that I was ever aware of (I am a Manager).

crazy connie said:
Not only is he too arrogant to run spell/language check (through vs throw). He is also to ignorant to put crap into writing that legal/HR dept would certainly site as not company policy.

Hmmmmmmm...... always spell correctly when slamming someone else's spelling! (to instead of too) ;) Just kidding...........

Hydroman said:
The company is a small hi tech growth company and long hours are already built into the culture. On the other hand no one hassled you if you took a comp day, but there was no official policy that I was ever aware of (I am a Manager).

Don't get my wrong Hydro, "Joe" sounds like he could use a few days at charm school and I'd also be perturbed at the tone of his communication if I had received it. But if, as you point out, people are already working long hours as a part of your company's culture, I'm trying to imagine what he was trying to change. Is it possible that a few folks were abusing comp time and "Joe" launched this poorly written communication in an effort to reign them in?

youbet said:
Hmmmmmmm...... always spell correctly when slamming someone else's spelling! (to instead of too) ;) Just kidding...........

Touche!!! My mind races better than my fingers!

Hydroman said:
Actually the Director of HR is a direct report to him and was included on the email.

Too bad that the HR Director does not understand it is part of his goal to prevent problems. This ill thought out email is a loaded gun just waiting to be fired...

Hydroman said:
You might get along with him better then you think. "Joe" just came off of a 7 month fly fishing sabatical that I am sure was paid for by the generous equity incentive package he liquidated after executing an "M&A" on the backs of the wage slaves at the last company he worked for.

There are a lot of assholes that try to flyfish. (They usually aren't very good, tip their flies with bait, and won't listen to instruction)

Back
Top Bottom