Join Early Retirement Today

Coupon discount after leaving purchase in checkout
Old 10-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Coupon discount after leaving purchase in checkout

I remember reading about this but this is the first time it happened to me. I was testing an online checkout for a different reason, for someone else, and did not complete the purchase. Couple hours go by and I receive an email with a discount code.

Anyone do this tactic of leaving purchases incomplete in checkout for a few hours to fish for discounts?
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #2

More typically I'll google around first on retail me not, or rakuten, and find coupons or find out that some stores give a coupon with email sign up - then do that, then buy. But yes I dig for a coupon anytime I'm new to a site.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

This happened to me when I was looking at long-term airport parking. I didn't complete the transaction and got an ad on the side of my email page for a discount. I wasn't phishing for a discount but it saved me a few bucks
Anna J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:22 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a small, highly rated artisan coffee roaster an hour or so from me that does this. I like to get it as fresh as possible and they roast internet orders the day they receive them and ship them out immediately so I’ll receive my coffee the next day. (Ultra fresh beans make the best espresso.) Anyway, I sometimes leave my cart to think about my order and usually if I wait a day I’ll get an email with a coupon code. The discount usually makes up for the cost of shipping. But usually if I order from one of their flash sales by the time I run low they post another sale.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I had this happen at Advanced Auto parts when i left items in my cart. They offered another 10% off. Even after the extra discount, Rock Auto was a better deal.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
More typically I'll google around first on retail me not, or rakuten, and find coupons or find out that some stores give a coupon with email sign up - then do that, then buy. But yes I dig for a coupon anytime I'm new to a site.
Same here, plus swagbucks, honey, mrrebates, you are pretty much always going to pop up a coupon code if one exists unless they are a tiny retailer. Most of those have some discount code if you are willing to subscribe to their email list.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #7

The last time I tried that the price actually went up a few bucks by the time I really wanted the item. I left it in my cart for a couple of weeks thinking either the price would come down or a discount would pop up when leaving the website. They got me.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

>>The last time I tried that the price actually went up a few bucks by the time I really wanted the item. I left it in my cart for a couple of weeks thinking either the price would come down or a discount would pop up when leaving the website. They got me.<<

When this happens, try looking for the item again on a different browser, or clearing out all your cookies. I know it works for some things.
Scusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scusan View Post
>>The last time I tried that the price actually went up a few bucks by the time I really wanted the item. I left it in my cart for a couple of weeks thinking either the price would come down or a discount would pop up when leaving the website. They got me.<<

When this happens, try looking for the item again on a different browser, or clearing out all your cookies. I know it works for some things.
Thanks. I should have done that.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Airline tickets go up if you look twice. Household goods get a coupon. Electronics get a price reduction and shoe ads follow you around the web for weeks.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I spent around an hour today buying a couple of things from Amazon and getting the clipped coupons to show up. Did finally get that working but almost gave up. I'd add something to the cart, but chose a wrong color. So, then after adding the right color the coupon went away. Lots of chasing my own tail to save a few bucks .