Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the advice of someone, I just recently googled the words "(drug name) coupon" and got a $50 coupon for one of DH prescriptions. That was well worth 60 seconds!

There is also an app called GoodRX which may be helpful for pricing prescriptions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

The DW initiates most online purchases through EBATES. She gets 2%-7% off many purchases. This is in addition to any coupons or other discounts that may apply. EBATES sends you a check.

We booked a hotel last week and EBATES gave us 7% back. Our credit card gives us an additional 2% back.

FN

flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I do online coupons for Safeway that go to my club card account. That’s about 5 minutes a week and saves 1-6% off my bill.

I also use the Target Cartwheel app for additional savings there. I don’t look ahead for specials though, I just scan what’s already on my list.

One more note about Target’s phone app - you can use it to price check the shelf price. Frequently, I will find the shelf price to be higher than that shown in the app for “in store “ prices. Sometimes the difference is 10 cents, sometimes a couple dollars. I just show the app price to the cashier and they always make the adjustment. It ticks me off that there is a difference, seems dishonest, but at least they will adjust without any complaints.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
I do online coupons for Safeway that go to my club card account. That’s about 5 minutes a week and saves 1-6% off my bill.

I also use the Target Cartwheel app for additional savings there. I don’t look ahead for specials though, I just scan what’s already on my list.

One more note about Target’s phone app - you can use it to price check the shelf price. Frequently, I will find the shelf price to be higher than that shown in the app for “in store “ prices. Sometimes the difference is 10 cents, sometimes a couple dollars. I just show the app price to the cashier and they always make the adjustment. It ticks me off that there is a difference, seems dishonest, but at least they will adjust without any complaints.

Aha! I forgot Amazon has thst little clip coupon link for extra pantry savings. That is probably the easiest couponing I've done.

A while ago they gave me some free groceries for delaying my shipping on some other things i bought under prime. I wish that would come back.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've made over $100 a year with befrugal.com, but lately I've been having problems getting the credits. I'm very careful to go thru the befrugal site to get to the store site, but my last 5 purchases have not been credited. Sometimes putting in a support ticket helps, but not always, and I'm thinking the small $$ involved is not worth my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
The DW initiates most online purchases through EBATES. She gets 2%-7% off many purchases. This is in addition to any coupons or other discounts that may apply. EBATES sends you a check.

We booked a hotel last week and EBATES gave us 7% back. Our credit card gives us an additional 2% back.

FN
Old 11-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I keep an eye out for useful for coupons but don't go out of my way.

The one place it really pays off is a golf coupon book that has about 12 "buy one get one free" rounds at 7 or 8 local courses. I split the cost of 5 books with my golf buddy and estimate that my half of the $65 outlay saved me about $800 in green fees this past summer.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #27

As far as groceries go, I log onto the grocery store's web site once in awhile and load whatever coupons are there for something that might be on our list within the expiration date. That way, if we happen to buy one of these items, we get the discount automatically when we use our shopper's card at checkout.

We often get "best customer" coupons which can be significant, and is almost always for something we regularly buy. Kind of creepy the way they track you, but the $$ off is worth it.

My late DB's ex-wife called him the King of Free, since he would take advantage of any free offer he saw. Sometimes he'd take a test drive of a new car to get something free, but since his credit was in the toilet he ran zero risk of caving in and actually buying one. Heck, he barely had enough for gas to get to the dealership and back (rest his heart).
Old 11-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
Wally World is now doing just the opposite. As noted in

Walmart adjusts online pricing strategy | Supermarket News

Quote:
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has begun listing some items, including many food products, at higher prices on its website than it charges for buying them in its stores in an experiment to make its online operations more profitable, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've made over $100 a year with befrugal.com, but lately I've been having problems getting the credits. I'm very careful to go thru the befrugal site to get to the store site, but my last 5 purchases have not been credited. Sometimes putting in a support ticket helps, but not always, and I'm thinking the small $$ involved is not worth my time.
I use GivingAssistant. They credit almost right away and pay out monthly. I just checked my history and did not notice anything missing though I don't audit it closely, since like you it is only a $100 a year or so total. But it is an easy enough $100.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I use the AARP card for 15% off certain restaurant meals. Our grocery receipt usually has dry cleaning and car wash 50% off coupons on the back of it.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I buy dead people's used jewelry at a consignment jeweler. And I dicker for it.
Do they have to be dead? What if they're just really sick and need to sell off a necklace and a couple bracelets to cover their ACA copay?
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I worry about provenance a lot. And whether the jewelry could be haunted, and so on. Beats worrying about whether I'm looking at my accounts often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
Do they have to be dead? What if they're just really sick and need to sell off a necklace and a couple bracelets to cover their ACA copay?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Found a coupon that saved me some money on a drug that I take.

Saved about $6000.

Better than a kick in the groin.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I buy dead people's used jewelry at a consignment jeweler. And I dicker for it.
The funeral home is in great place to get recycled dentures too, at a terrific price.

Just try on several pairs, until you find a pair that fits.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Not if there's any gold in them. You have to fight the relatives for that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
The funeral home is in great place to get recycled dentures too, at a terrific price.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

After my consultation with the oral surgeon today, that sounds like a great idea. I wonder if any dentures are for sale on eBay or Craigslist?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
EBATES seems to work flawlessly once you sign up. You just have to initiate your purchase through their site. I don't think the DW has to enter any additional information. I was doubtful when she signed up a couple of years ago. But so far so good.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pondering my annual Costso membership bill I received today that asks for $120 for the annual membership. Attached to that was a rebate check for $5.75. I guess we don't spend "enough" there, but I do get my prescriptions from their pharmacy. As a family of two, I just can't see the savings in that place.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yeah, I worry about provenance a lot. And whether the jewelry could be haunted, and so on. Beats worrying about whether I'm looking at my accounts often enough
I'm sure the money you save justifies the haunted risk... although it might give me pause if they were wearing the jewelry at the time of passing. I'm guessing possession would take all the fun out of retirement...
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here. While working, I could not be bothered with coupons. I do a little bit now. Looks like even in RE, most don't mess with them. With a few exceptions for things that suit your normal purchases.