Join Early Retirement Today

Re: CPI vs. Items purchased
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Cut-Throat, could you post the link to the article or whatever includes the chart? I think this needs to be passed around a bit.
I think the article is rather lame, I just found the Chart interesting. But, if you are not paying for higher education any more for your kids, and have your house paid for and the property taxes are not skyrocketing, your personal rate of inflation may be under the CPI - Depends on your lifestyle.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...ion-usat_x.htm
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I think the article is rather lame, I just found the Chart interesting. But, if you are not paying for higher education any more for your kids, and have your house paid for and the property taxes are not skyrocketing, your personal rate of inflation may be under the CPI - Depends on your lifestyle.
Thanks-- this should be an interesting conversation with my FIL...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
But, if you are not paying for higher education any more for your kids, and have your house paid for and the property taxes are not skyrocketing, your personal rate of inflation may be under the CPI - Depends on your lifestyle.

yep, just ignore the first 6 things on the list and you shouldnt have to worry about inflation....that would only leave unclemick in the fish camp years without health insurance, etc.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #24

CT, I would be interested in what city.
In Robbinsdale (for others, it is also a suburb close to Minneapolis) my property taxes for 2007 just went up by about 12%. And from hearing news reports, most of MN locals have had large increases over the last few years while our governor has not been allowing any increase in state taxes (just fees ).
Old 11-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
and dont even get me started on cheap shoddy manufactured goods from china. we are currently trying to have some water pumps manufactured over there that will be brand labeled for us. oooooh my god what crap we have gotten so far, even from supposed state of the art factories. but thats another topic.
I made a similar observation to family gathered for Thanksgiving......they all looked at me like I had three heads.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras
CT, I would be interested in what city.
In Robbinsdale (for others, it is also a suburb close to Minneapolis) my property taxes for 2007 just went up by about 12%. And from hearing news reports, most of MN locals have had large increases over the last few years while our governor has not been allowing any increase in state taxes (just fees ).
I live in Plymouth. Did you not have a large decrease in your property tax in the 2001 to 2002 tax year? - Most taxes decreased state wide that year - mine did about 25%

- Even with small increases, In 2007 I'm still paying less than I did in 2000!

Also what amount of taxes are you paying? - Mine next year are $4538 - they were $4949 in the year 2000! What were yours in those years?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I live in Plymouth. Did you not have a large decrease in your property tax in the 2001 to 2002 tax year? - Most taxes decreased state wide that year - mine did abut 25%

- Even with small increases, In 2007 I'm still paying less than I did in 2000!

Also what amount of taxes are you paying? - Mine next year are $4538 - they were $4949 in the year 2000! What were yours in those years?
Our experience has been similar. Our property taxes dropped significantly several years ago. Since then they have been increasing slowly but still not as high as they were in the late 1990s and 2000.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Our experience has been similar. Our property taxes dropped significantly several years ago. Since then they have been increasing slowly but still not as high as they were in the late 1990s and 2000.

We have a lot of anecdotal Evidence here! - I like to see facts.

I was talking to another guy last weekend from Wisconsin who was complaining that his property taxes had gone up 20% in one year, while inflation was only running 3%. He went to his city hall and they explained to him that his property had not been revalued for 7 years, so it only represented an increase of a little over 2.5% per year. He basically said 'Never mind'. :

Everyone here seems to remember the increases but not the decreases or static amounts.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

we had an 18% increase in property taxes 3 years ago in nyc. i just saw putnam county ny is getting a 20% increase .

dont forget in most areas if you already own the house for a while its a different rate than a new buyer. most people were paying 1-1/2 to 2% of value in pennsylvania where we looked. if your buying today they told us figure about 3% of the purchase price
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #30

Quote:
It also shows the importance of staying healthy has on your budget.
Err... well for those without health insurance. Mine cost $88.99 per two weeks for my family plan whether i don't go in at all or whether i have open heart surgery. OK, granted, i'm not counting the $20 dollar deductible. Being that its a federal plan, my premium wouldn't go up because I used it.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Err... well for those without health insurance. Mine cost $88.99 per two weeks for my family plan whether i don't go in at all or whether i have open heart surgery. OK, granted, i'm not counting the $20 dollar deductible.
Well, I wouldn't be too smug. Don'tcha think that those escalating medical costs are going to find their way into your premiums? Or, indirectly, into lower levels of other compensation for your work? Yep.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Err... well for those without health insurance. Mine cost $88.99 per two weeks for my family plan whether i don't go in at all or whether i have open heart surgery. OK, granted, i'm not counting the $20 dollar deductible.
o

You could probably get a much cheaper policy if you opted for a catastrophic policy with a $5K or $10k Deductable. Then your budget would definitely notice if you spent any time in the hospital!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #33

The chart tells me that I should stay healthy and send my kids to inexpensive colleges (a full ride scholarship is even better).
Old 11-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #34

CT - I think that is the biggest difference. I just moved in in 2002 so I didn't see the decrease.
I do have to say my property taxes (about $3100 next year) are much lower than yours which I suspect is more a case of Robbinsdale vs Plymouth. Robbinsdale also underwent the reconstruction of hwy 100, so I am not sure if that is spilling over into the prop tax hikes we are getting.

In any event, good to hear that over the long term the taxes have not increased all that quickly. Guess I am just catching up to you and Martha
Old 11-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #35

The chart does not show insurance premium that has been increasing by more than 10% per year.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Err... well for those without health insurance. Mine cost $88.99 per two weeks for my family plan whether i don't go in at all or whether i have open heart surgery. OK, granted, i'm not counting the $20 dollar deductible. Being that its a federal plan, my premium wouldn't go up because I used it.
Your cost is heavily subsidized.........most people do not have that luxury............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras
CT - I think that is the biggest difference. I just moved in in 2002 so I didn't see the decrease.
I do have to say my property taxes (about $3100 next year) are much lower than yours which I suspect is more a case of Robbinsdale vs Plymouth. Robbinsdale also underwent the reconstruction of hwy 100, so I am not sure if that is spilling over into the prop tax hikes we are getting.

In any event, good to hear that over the long term the taxes have not increased all that quickly. Guess I am just catching up to you and Martha
It looks like our state has a Billion dollar surplus and they are talking about a property tax rebate (I think they have to - It's a law!) - Make sure you deduct this from your increase.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM   #38

Quote:
It looks like our state has a Billion dollar surplus and they are talking about a property tax rebate (I think they have to - It's a law!) - Make sure you deduct this from your increase.
Would it better to use the surplus toward education? The tuition of U of Minnesota (almost $9.3K) tops the list of all public colleges. The Minnesota state universities (no name schools) charge more than $6,000 for tuition which is almost the same as that of U of Wisconsin, Madison.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Would it better to use the surplus toward education? The tuition of U of Minnesota (almost $9.3K) tops the list of all public colleges. The Minnesota state universities (no name schools) charge more than $6,000 for tuition which is almost the same as that of U of Wisconsin, Madison.
Notice, I said talking about a rebate - Looks like property tax breaks are at the top of the adgenda.

- College tuition has risen faster than medical insurance over the last 20 years? - I understand the technogoical advances of medicine and the corrupt Insurance company executives, where is the money going for the U of M? - I don't see a lot of tech advances in education, so where is all the money going? - IOW - who is lining their pockets now that was not when I was going to the U 30 years ago?