Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have bought and sold musical equipment, photo equipment, motorcycles and a car on CL without any problems. I do always exchange e-mails and talk on the phone prior to meeting anyone for a transaction just to make sure the person is legit. It takes a little due diligence but really no big deal.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have sold some used furniture on CL - sofa and loveseat to 2 guys furnishing their school pad. $100 for both (asking $200). Just sold 6 DR chairs. Some wear on the cloth. $20 for the set. The junk guy was going to charge us $150!

Not as much luck buying. Well-priced stuff moves quickly. Did buy an iPhone 4S a few years ago. No probs.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #23

In Canada the ebay version (Kijiji) is more popular than Craigslist. I personally don't like it as much but when the herd moves, you gotta keep up...

Bought a bandsaw and a scroll saw off of Kijiji last week. Both older Delta models in good running condition. The bandsaw was really good, heavy cast iron and it was all I and the guy selling it could do to get it into my Rav4 (and neither of us were exactly puny)

I paid 80$ for the bandsaw and 60$ for the scrollsaw. Equivalent to Delta quality at Lowes would have cost me over 400$, tax included. And they would have been cast aluminum and plastic instead of cast iron.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

We are having more luck buying and selling items using Facebook garage sale sites. I had a television listed on Craigslist for over a month and was only getting lowball offers. Put it on a garage sale site and sold it for full price the same day. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #25

Craig's is great for giving stuff away. Just list it...put it on the street and watch it disappear!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

i bought my last car on cl
Old 09-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msefren View Post
Has anyone had any overt positive or negative experiences purchasing or selling items using Craig's List assuming you have taken the usual precautions using this format?
All positive for us. We sold our house from a craigslist ad, a car, a boat and lots of smaller items. Have bought on craigslist as well and never a problem... however, I am cautious.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Small stuff gets sold on eBay, as it has a much wider audience. Big stuff gets sold on Craigslist. Stuff sells for a low price compared to new generally, but low-ballers don't even get a returned message. I always take cash only. Everyone wants a discount, so if you want $100, advertise it for $125 and let them think they got a deal.

I let people come to the house, but only after they give me their name and phone number and I check it out on line.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #29

I had good results using Craigslist to sell stuff and offer some stuff for free from my parents' house when they downsized. My parents were ready to donate it all, but I volunteered to try to sell it on CL, and give them the cash. My mom was generous and gave me about half of the profits. So many interesting things to sell. A 1992 Ford Taurus went for $700. 2 old wine barrels went for $35 each. A set of expensive china went for about $60. It was hard to get any interest in some stuff, but other stuff was in hot demand. I think there is a limited local market for some stuff that is actually in general demand across the country, but there might be only one person in the CL area who even cares about the item. For example, certain antiques nobody wanted at first, and stayed on CL for months, until someone would show up and freak out about the discovery, and give me more than I was asking for it!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sold hundreds of items on craigslist. Only took 1 no show at a meet up to never meet people again. I always make them come to me...and I meet them outside. I do live in an apartment complex though. If it was a single family home I probably wouldnt want to meet them at my house.

Other than the one no show I never had a bad experience. Sometimes people will tell you they're coming then never show. Not a big deal since I didnt have to drive anywhere to meet them.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #31

I've used Craigslist quite successfully, both buying and selling. One piece of advice is that I always state on my ads: "YES, this item IS still available if you are reading this ad!" And then just don't respond to the many people who just ask "Is this item still available?" without any other show of interest. I can never figure out who it is who asks this question--well, obviously people who can't read. If they can't read I don't deal with them.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

We sold our boat on Craigslist. Saved $5000 in broker commissions. Made some great new friends in the process.

Of course the ad also brought out the scammers but they're a quick delete.
Going Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

There was a guy here in Charleston who met two men who wanted to buy his truck off a Craigslist ad. They met in a parking lot and he went with them for a test drive. They shot him on the Ravenel bridge, dumped his body, then took off in the truck to party, using his debit card to finance their trip. He was 25.

I'm very cautious, but I do buy things from Craigslist, including cars. My husband or father always goes to look at them with me. I would never go by myself, not even to meet up in a parking lot, nor would my husband.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #34

We have sold things on Craigslist; usually without incident. I'll keep doing it.

A few months ago we listed 3 old iphones in various states of usability, and the first guy who contacted me was out of state and....blah blah blah long story short he sent a cashier's check for $2000 for a $200 purchase. I blocked his # from my phone and reported all the information I had, including scans of the check and his address (that looked like an empty lot on Google Maps) to the appropriate places - never heard from any of them, though. Guess they are too swamped...
Old 09-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When we bought our second home in FL I needed a lot of tools, since I wasn't going to haul all mine back and forth with me. I used CL a lot, and was pretty satisfied with it. No rip-offs, and only a couple of serial killers. Makes me wish I'd done it with the original tools instead of buying most of them retail. I've never sold anything on CL, but I'm thinking about it as part of our downsizing exercise.
I once saw a listing for a LOT of tools, the poster was pretty ticked off at her cheating boyfriend and was almost giving them away!

Used craigslist extensively and never a bad experience. I meet in public places when possible and for purchases over $100 I meet at the bank. Got a steal on a chevy Silverado from CL. Also sold my lifes belongings when I relocated off the mainland. Better than tossing the stuff.

Also meeting at the bank when selling weeds out the tire kickers. They won't offer to meet there if not remotely serious.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We have sold some used furniture on CL - sofa and loveseat to 2 guys furnishing their school pad. $100 for both (asking $200). Just sold 6 DR chairs. Some wear on the cloth. $20 for the set. The junk guy was going to charge us $150!

Not as much luck buying. Well-priced stuff moves quickly. Did buy an iPhone 4S a few years ago. No probs.
When I was in maui my co-worker always had craigslist open...he would refresh the browser and literally look at every single item posted. It was more difficult to get a deal done in rural American than it is in my 2million+ city.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #37

I have bought a high end on-camera flash off CL, and sold a folding boat and a motorcycle, but CL is not something I look at frequently. No issues so far but then I don't use it much.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I see that a nearby police office has provided a craig's list meeting zone in their parking lot. Seems like a good idea to have a neutral meeting spot with video coverage and law enforcement nearby.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I use it 1-2x per month to offload stuff. Occasionally search on there for stuff I want but rarely find a deal worth my time compared to buying it on ebay/amazon (new/used/refurbished).

I sold my FIL's construction van on there in no time at all for much higher than blue book. Had a few folks that didn't really know what they want but sold it quickly once the right buyer showed up. Many sellers were flaky - not showing up, claiming they had significantly less cash than I was asking for (and asking to pay the balance later), etc. Such is the way of facebook. Expect half the people that confirm a time to come see something to not show up or have something come up last minute where they contact you after the appointment time to make an excuse, then you never hear from them again.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #40

Our city Police Dept set up an "Internet Purchase Exchange Zone"-

Internet Purchase Exchange Location | City of Cuyahoga Falls

We haven't used that but we did sell a car on Craigslist. We also advertised a garage sale instead of putting an ad in the local paper. We had plenty of traffic just from the Craigslist post.