Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
I see that a nearby police office has provided a craig's list meeting zone in their parking lot. Seems like a good idea to have a neutral meeting spot with video coverage and law enforcement nearby.

Ours does, too, but earlier this year a guy elected to buy a gun and to complete the transaction in the very parking lot I'm facing now on the elliptical trainer. The "sellers" shot and killed him as his 7-year old daughter watched.

I just put free stuff at the end of my driveway and list it first-come first-served. No special arrangements to hold it for someone; too many
No-shows.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought and sold ... recently sold a lot. As always, pay attention to things that will provide clues to the buyer or seller sincerity and reality: like, punctuation, spelling, use of the language, appropriateness of terminology, etc.

ANYTHING that sounds weird - is weird.

Sold lawnmowers, garden tillers, leaf blowers, furniture.

We give away a lot of stuff - especially during moves. Go into CL, select For Sale By Owner, next select "Free Stuff." Then, in the subject line type in, "Curb Alert." Put in a photo or two of what you are giving away, put in your address (this part is where some folks have an issue), then tote the item(s) to your curb ... my fastest Curb Alert is around 20 minutes. I swear some people check constantly, based on where they are while mobile, then swoop in a nab the item.

You would be surprised at the types of things people will grab - and grab quickly - used toilets, used washing machines, old tools, half full containers of oil and cleaning liquids, broken furniture, boxes of bolts, plastic shelves, old plants, old table saws, etc - astonishing.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
There was a guy here in Charleston who met two men who wanted to buy his truck off a Craigslist ad. They met in a parking lot and he went with them for a test drive. They shot him on the Ravenel bridge, dumped his body, then took off in the truck to party, using his debit card to finance their trip. He was 25.
Same thing in Ontario Canada. They got caught and convicted.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I bought a canoe on CL.
I've sold a car, 2 snowblowers, 2 lawnmowers, a walker, mirrors, dresser etc. all stuff way to big to sell on ebay.

I read the meet them somewhere else, thing, but that is hard to do with some stuff, so I first email back and forth, then tell them to give me their phone number so I can call them.
We arrange a time for them to visit, and I tell them text or phone when heading over to be sure I didn't go grocery shopping.

When I meet, it's outside the garage with the doors locked, and for the car I told DW to call 911 if she saw something bad as she watched from inside the house.

Honestly, 99% of folks are honest and who is going to kill me so they can steal the snowblower?
If I was worried about that, I'd worry about just being outside my house as anyone could walk up to me.

One rule I have is I won't let anyone in the house, even if they claim they have to pee. Nobody has asked, but if they did I'd tell them the dogs have bitten people in the past, so I can't risk it. (I don't really have dogs. )
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post

We give away a lot of stuff - especially during moves. Go into CL, select For Sale By Owner, next select "Free Stuff." Then, in the subject line type in, "Curb Alert." Put in a photo or two of what you are giving away, put in your address (this part is where some folks have an issue), then tote the item(s) to your curb ... my fastest Curb Alert is around 20 minutes. I swear some people check constantly, based on where they are while mobile, then swoop in and nab the item.
"The" item? One thing that mildly bothered me in the beginning was that I'd carefully list individual items and the first person to arrive would take all of them. It accomplished the purpose of getting rid of things but it seemed greedy to me. I once specifically TOLD they guy not to take additional items beyond what we'd agreed upon because the other items were for someone else. He agreed. ALL of the items disappeared. I texted him and he apologized and said he'd sent a buddy and told him to take only X and Y but not Z but the buddy "was on auto-pilot" and took it all. He said they'd return the other items. They never did, of course.

One more CL story from our local paper-a woman met a guy on Craigslist and agreed he'd pay her $400 for sex. Sadly, she was beaten, raped and robbed instead, but I did wonder what she thought she was gonna do that was worth $400.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote