Join Early Retirement Today

Craig's List experiences
Old 09-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Craig's List experiences

Has anyone had any overt positive or negative experiences purchasing or selling items using Craig's List assuming you have taken the usual precautions using this format?
msefren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've sold tons of stuff on Craigslist. Yes, there are people who don't show up and you'll get emails from people who aren't really serious, but it's a good way to unload things. Meet in a public place and not your residence, if at all possible. Cash only. First one gets it. Those are our rules.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought some stuff and my experience has been mixed at best. I now buy only from Ebay, Amazon, and other credible websites.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I bought some stuff and my experience has been mixed at best. I now buy only from Ebay, Amazon, and other credible websites.
Just curious about your response. So seeing an item first hand on Craigslist is worse than not seeing it until it arrives?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Craig's list works, I've bought and sold stuff. All used of course and you do get the "clueless" people that are just fishing and offers to trade for whatever they have.

I like to have fun with the "fishers" Ex;

Them "Your price is too high"

Me "Then don't buy it"

Really, it's that bad. No offer, just a statement that my price is too high and no interest in seeing the item either. Jam on down the road!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

I am a seller and I find many of the people on Craig's List are too cheap. We all want a bargain but I find many of their offers are almost stealing.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

I have bought and sold a lot on CL. Pretty much all good experiences. A couple no-shows for items but nothing major. It's great for bigger things that don's ship efficiently.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Side note, there is a local "yard sale" facebook page in my small town where people can post items for sale. Since the buyers/sellers are local and not totally anonymous given the facebook visibility, I am very comfortable buying in this format and have found many values from local folks.

I would be very comfortable selling on this FB site as well, if I can ever manage to part with anything.

To the OPs point, I have bought several items from craig's list with no issue. I am hesitant and have not sold items on CL.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I've bought and sold a couple of cars using Craigslist. No issues.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy and sell items on Craig's List and thru Facebook. Never had any problems
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #11

Mostly sold stuff, but have bought a few things on CL. Selling on CL you get a bunch of stupid people and low-ballers. Just delete all the crap. I only set up an ad to use CL email so any of my personal info is not in the ad. It works, but there are way too many flakes on CL. Just expect it and you will not be disappointed.

You can find some good deals, or on the other side get rid of an item and cash in pocket. The old saying holds true: "cash talks, BS walks" and this holds true for both buying and selling on CL. Have cash ready if buying, or you could miss out on that item you have selected.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When we bought our second home in FL I needed a lot of tools, since I wasn't going to haul all mine back and forth with me. I used CL a lot, and was pretty satisfied with it. No rip-offs, and only a couple of serial killers. Makes me wish I'd done it with the original tools instead of buying most of them retail. I've never sold anything on CL, but I'm thinking about it as part of our downsizing exercise.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Advertise all the rentals on CL. only. it works. Have bought all the cars and some other stuff from CL. Sold a few cars on CL and other stuff - rolls of barbed wire, boxes of nails, skylights - sometimes stuff sells, sometimes not, I find the sellers and buyers pretty much like people anywhere.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #14

Bought RVs and a few household items and sold lots of things without incident.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sold stuff like old rototiller or wood chipper that needed work but the people still wanted them. Never an issue. I bought a huge stainless steel sink for $75 used to make a fish cleaning station. Met the woman in a parking lot no problem. Several times I have gotten free firewood sometimes whole trees sometimes they didn't know what kind it was and it was cottonwood and not worth taking. I gave away a cottonwood tree that fell with just a sign on the driveway. We cut and split it but I could have given it away on craigs list even not cut or split.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

No actual buying or selling on craigslist. However I have sold alot of stuff during 2 downsizings in the last year. I highly recommend OfferUp first and Letgo second. You can link to your phone as well and makes it very easy. Also you can check the history of the buyer or seller with ratings etc....
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I've bought/sold/traded photography equipment on multiple occasions with nothing but positive results so far.

Furniture? Pretty much the opposite experience. Not sure what to attribute this to but I've lost interest in continuing the practice.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Just curious about your response. So seeing an item first hand on Craigslist is worse than not seeing it until it arrives?
Craig list pictures and actual item sometimes don't match. I also have to drive to a place to buy. Gas it takes to get there and back sometimes make it not worth buying a small item. Buying EBay items from highly rated seller rarely goes bad. Even if it does, I get refunded/repaid by the seller or EBay.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I sold gardening tools two years ago and a dining room set two weeks ago...no problems. The buyers were women which made it less nerve wracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Side note, there is a local "yard sale" facebook page in my small town where people can post items for sale. Since the buyers/sellers are local and not totally anonymous given the facebook visibility, I am very comfortable buying in this format and have found many values from local folks.
There are a couple for my area. They are populated by flippers too, who I guess, use the addresses of friends who are residents. Or the moderators just don't really check. If the buyer has no FB picture and no FB account info besides their name, and posts every day, and sometimes posts weird stuff for sale like 50 packs of disposable razors, the buyer is probably a flipper.

In the case of my local FB group it's actually worse than craigslist b/c they have a rule that if a buyer tags your post you have to sell to them and you have to wait 48 hours for them to come get it before offering it to the next person. So a flipper will just sit on the list and tag everything, then decide later what they will actually pick up. For me, craigslist is easier for selling.

This may be particular to my local FB group.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote