Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cramer's YTD Return
Old 11-17-2005, 03:37 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Justin,
That seems like an excellent way to calculate returns. My only issue with it, is that if you use it over a period of several years, it would provide equal weighting of times you had little money and times you had a lot.
Ideally, I'd like to see it your (Fidelity's) way and also see another calculation that is dollar weighted, so when accumulating in a bull market, your more recent returns would be weighted more heavily. Ideally the dollar weighting would be inflation adjusted, so that inflation wouldn't cause more recent returns to be too heavily weighted.
My wish is for well written, reliable software to do all this for me, I just type in date, buy/sell, number of shares, symbol, commission, and it tells me the total amount as a check, and does all calculations for me, both the Justin way and the inflation adjusted dollar weighted way.
I'd also like it to chart my portfolio value vs what my value would have been if I instead did just TSM (like VTI) or did a specific S&D with rebalancing plan, but with the same $ contributions and withdrawals I actually made.
I'd also like world peace.

What I actually do, is figure that my w/r (I'm in withdrawl, not accumulating) is less than inflation, so just look at nominal value of my portfolio, and do simple % growth calculation, and take that as a conservative estimate of real return. Portfolio (value today-value at Dec 31)/value at Dec 31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Using a spreadsheet, it only took me 5-10 minutes to determine a personal rate of return for my latest investment that had 11 purchases this year.
You're way faster than me. I never have computed my return for before I stopped working, since there were so many contributions, and sales that weren't immediately reallocated.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday
You're way faster than me. I never have computed my return for before I stopped working, since there were so many contributions, and sales that weren't immediately reallocated.
In truth, I neglected to mention that I downloaded the raw portfolio data straight from vanguard into a comma delimited file which you can open right into excel with a little tinkering. Then it was a matter of writing the formulas and copy-pasting away.

I too have an issue with the method I presented earlier. There is no dollar-weighting for your return. One could have a huge return on a small portfolio size, then add a substantial contribution, and have low returns after the contribution. The "personal rate of return" would indicate a huge rate of return, whereas in reality, the actual rate of return on the whole amount invested would be small. The "personal rate of return" method I presented seems most useful where the contributions or withdrawals to your portfolio are small in relation to the total portfolio value. However, if that is the case, a more simple method of calculating returns could also be used: (ending balance + withdrawals - contributions - beginning balance)/(beginning balance).

Old 11-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Humm... I just want to know if I am earning enough to cover withdrawals with something left over for inflation.* I have no need to get fancy.

Here is what I did:* $1/1/05 - withdrawals = money working all year (withdrawals were from MM, which doesn't work all that hard).

Current value - money working all year = gain(loss)

(gain(loss)/ money working all year)/months so far this year *12 = estimated total return.

I had about 13% of my $ in MM (with stinky returns), even then my total return looks to be 8.66%* Better than Vanguard Target Retirement.. so far.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Brat - resonable way to do it in your case - and also the way I eye ball my returns when I do not bother to look up each fund.

Congrats on your results by the way!

Considering that I have NEVER hear Cramer saying we should be in cash - one could make the argument that we only have to compare our non-cash invested portfolio with him. Makes him look even worse I would guess.... Come to think of it; I have never seen him suggest fixed income either...

Cheers!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:16 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I keep an eye on each fund, but my core are really boring ones like Oakmark Balanced, Dodge & Cox Global and two years worth of I-Bonds.*

I added to my international with Matthews Asian EI a couple years ago and India this month, but bought Fid Can at it's recent top.* Fid LA looks attractive, but I have been facinated by India since I was a kid (many, many years ago).* I really want India to do well, and I think they can, so my $ followed my heart.* When I put it through Fid's grinder I discovered I had more international that I thought, but to tell you the truth I think that is where growth will happen.* *

Given our current governance . . . .
Old 11-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

YTD...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg growth.JPG (23.0 KB, 93 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb growth.JPG_thumb (9.2 KB, 0 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am with the commenwealth bank (90 days term)and they give me 5.5%. I saw the ad. of HSBC two days ago and they are offering 5.7%. But mind you it is AUD.

I made a serious mistake of selling all HKEX stock end of June this year. It's up almost 50% since then.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:23 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

what is AUD?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

All:

Thanks....reading this chain makes me feel better with my stupidly simple positions and 5-7% ROR. Now back to the game...zzzzzzzz.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:11 AM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstu32
what is AUD?
Australian dollar