Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_E_Expat View Post
I think you have underestimated the cost of living in SE Asia.

I would budget of US$4,000 per month.

You will probably also need a "job" in order to get a residence visa (unless you have money to invest in setting up a new business). Don't plan on getting a job teaching English unless you have qualifications (in Indonesia now, you need a master's degree in order to teach English - at least in theory).

If you are happy being a long term tourist and moving from time to time then go for it.
Thanks for the comment. I would love to be a long time tourist but I know I don't have enough money for that. I don't mind doing border runs every 90 days.

Also I remember commenting on your posts a few months back. You make a sh*t ton of money and have residences on two continents. I made $67k and lived on $20k in Las Vegas. No wife and no kids. I don't want to live in Hong Kong. Maybe Ho Chi Min or Phnom Penh. I'm not set on anything. I feel like my biggest strength is flexibility.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You will surely be successful. I hope you write a book about it. Feel better now?

Border runs/visas
Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Border runs/visas

Carefully investigate current visa rules.
The PI allows you to extend a tourist visa for 12 months.
Cambodia allows the purchase of a 12 month general visa.
Remember that rules can change with little/no notice
Old 01-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
You will surely be successful. I hope you write a book about it. Feel better now?
I appreciate and consider everyone's comments but if you offer an opinion, back it up with some evidence. I just haven't seen any from you. I'm not trying to start a fight, you just haven't offered any evidence.....Tell me why I'm on a fool's errand.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #25

This is a simple experiment. Budget for a year to try it out, go and see if you make. You at least cone back with a story and more wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are a number of expat forums that you might consider joining. There you can ask expats via the forum or private messages about their actual experiences. For many destinations: InterNations.com, expat-blog.com. For Cambodia specifically: cambodiaexpatsonline.com, khmer440.com, and a recent addition thekhmerforum.com.

I spend a good deal of time in Cambodia and love it here, although I don't live here full time. Considering you are living on 20K in Las Vegas, you might be able to do 12K in Cambodia. I would not want to do it on that little, but you are young and hey, life is not only about money, it is about experiences too. There are many expats here that have a good life on relatively little. You can also get a job here teaching English. I would plan to get the TEFL certificate if you want to that. Also could volunteer for a while at an NGO then transition to a paid position. Note, you won't make much, and you may work long hours 6 days a week. Another reason to check out the forums is that you can make contacts here before you try to relocate. Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
There are a number of expat forums that you might consider joining. There you can ask expats via the forum or private messages about their actual experiences. For many destinations: InterNations.com, expat-blog.com. For Cambodia specifically: cambodiaexpatsonline.com, khmer440.com, and a recent addition thekhmerforum.com.

I spend a good deal of time in Cambodia and love it here, although I don't live here full time. Considering you are living on 20K in Las Vegas, you might be able to do 12K in Cambodia. I would not want to do it on that little, but you are young and hey, life is not only about money, it is about experiences too. There are many expats here that have a good life on relatively little. You can also get a job here teaching English. I would plan to get the TEFL certificate if you want to that. Also could volunteer for a while at an NGO then transition to a paid position. Note, you won't make much, and you may work long hours 6 days a week. Another reason to check out the forums is that you can make contacts here before you try to relocate. Good luck whatever you decide!
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:12 AM   #28

Hi RetirementGuy1, I have lived in several of the places you are looking to go.

If you really want to do this, I would treat it as a temporary gig or traveling phase unless you somehow managed to start making serious cash overseas.

A couple of questions:

* Have you ever traveled to any of these places before? Do you have international travel experience?

* Do you have a Bachelor's Degree? This is an important credential if you want to teach English (and I think it is required for a CELTA certification and in many cases for a work permit). The best source I found for learning about the teaching English market is Dave's ESL Cafe. In fact, it made me NOT want to do it, although I strongly considered it. There is just a ton of useful info there posted by others.

Another point I will add: Even though I had enough money to properly early retire, I thought I would have to work to really immerse myself in the culture and get to know local people. For me, at least, this turned out to NOT be the case. In fact, it would have just gotten in the way in that it would have taken so much time.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:15 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not suggesting you will fail - but I do think my thought and research may be required.

I have lived as an expat in S E Asia for many years and have met many people trying to do what yo have done.

I think you will need a job of some type - just retiring is unlikely to be successful unless you are very wealthy and have a support network in the area where you retire.

I continue to work in S E Asia although I could easily afford to retire as I think without a job it is difficult to exist in this environment.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
I appreciate and consider everyone's comments but if you offer an opinion, back it up with some evidence. I just haven't seen any from you. I'm not trying to start a fight, you just haven't offered any evidence.....Tell me why I'm on a fool's errand.
Evidence? - You're the one calling it crazy!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Evidence? - You're the one calling it crazy!
Okay, you got me on that one! lol
Old 01-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I do have a BS degree and it would probably wise to get the TEFL certification before I leave, just as a plan B. I've read some blogs on teaching English and it made me not want to do it either. lol

I have spent a couple weeks in Thailand and really enjoyed it once we got out of the main tourist areas. I've also backpacked through 15 countries in Europe. I played in an orchestra in Italy for a couple of summers as well. I love Europe but my dollar won't stretch far enough there.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #33

Unless you have $ millions, a 32 year old that doesn't work is called "unemployed".

I understand your getting burned out in a hard working job. There's nothing wrong to take some time off and seeing the world. Having an adventure is great.

There's also nothing wrong with taking some of your savings, going back to school and earning the skills where you can work in a career that pays better than the food service industry. You might also be more fulfilled and feel better about yourself.

But whatever you do, do it now. Look up and you'll be 40. Look up and you'll be 60. Time passes so fast the older you get.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

We are planning to live as expats but we will have a larger income stream as we are 2A2C.

Check out these blogs for lower COL examples:

Cost of Living in Chiang Mai, Thailand

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-t...rld-on-50-usd/

Lifestyle and Travel in Southeast Asia | Living in Bangkok Blog

Quit Your Job - Sell Your Stuff - Travel Abroad | Tieland to Thailand
Old 01-15-2015, 12:13 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Need to be careful in the P.I. Terrorist cells are ramped, especially if you do not blend in

I think it depends on the part of the PI you are in, but Mindanao is NOT the place you want to be, unless you are rolling out with some gun trucks and a Special forces A team, and I'm not kidding.

I would echo what others said about the 4% withdrawl rate. I don't think that would work in your scenario. I think you need to get a higher rate of return and engage in some risk management, which may require more of your time and study on portfolio management than you initially thought and probably requires some leverage/derivatives. If you aren't comfortable with that, this strategy may not be for you.

I am a closed end fund fan myself which provide higher monthly income to buying discounted funds for immediate Alpha. I have seen some portfolios structured where they actually have lower Betas than the market with similar returns.

I'd probably look at Latin America, perhaps Ecuador, not Costa Rica, and maybe Panama. I've been to Ecuador, and it is stupid cheap. I don't know about living on 12k cheap, like I said, I think you are going to need more income from the portfolio.

Not an expat yet, but I am in preparation/investigation mode.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:02 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
One sees these types of articles and blogs all over the internet, usually by people who want to sell their book, or drive people to their blog for the advertising revenue. Take all with a grain of salt. Nobody lives in SE Asia on what these people tell you. You can survive, after a fashion. But what happens when you get sick, you want a western doctor? Most expats in SE Asia realize that they will loose 10+ years of their lifespan. You want to travel a bit or just sit by the riverside all day? Living with a roommate might be nice for a short stay, but living that way? What about if you get a girlfriend, she might want to go out for a movie and dinner. You think she wants to sit on a plastic stool at the local noodle cart or go to the theater at the new western style mall and a sit down restaurant. And prices are rising here. Everything imported costs more than in the U.S. People want a good life, you won't last long living on the budget in these silly articles.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
I do have a BS degree and it would probably wise to get the TEFL certification before I leave, just as a plan B. I've read some blogs on teaching English and it made me not want to do it either. lol

I have spent a couple weeks in Thailand and really enjoyed it once we got out of the main tourist areas. I've also backpacked through 15 countries in Europe. I played in an orchestra in Italy for a couple of summers as well. I love Europe but my dollar won't stretch far enough there.
You have both travel experience and a Bachelor's Degree, good to hear.

The credential you want for teaching English is the CELTA, and it is best to take it in your destination country. The course is the same, no matter where it is taught (a grueling 4 week course that will take most of your time).

I think your financial portfolio is just way too thin for someone your age to retire or even semi-retire abroad in transient jobs. And, unfortunately, most of the work opportunities you will come across are low paying.

I would use this as a chance to visit various places and size them up with respect to possibly trying longer stints (or even retirement) in the future. That is what I did when I retired (at age 41) but it would have been better if I had traveled to more places before retirement. On my first year of retirement, I took a 7 month trip through Southeast Asia and a 2 month trip to Colombia.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Go teach english in Japan for a couple years ... You can really Bank some more cash ... Maybe 40-50k usd per year
I think you are overselling teaching English in Japan.
While relatively easy to find job, most of them do not pay more than 250k yen per month ($2k USD). And you will spend some (most?) of it.
I have two friends teaching there and they both said the website below describes the reality pretty good:
Teaching in Japan and Some Common Myths About Living and Teaching in Japan.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Watch the documentary Living on one dollar- it's currently on Netflix. It may have you rethink the live like a local lifestyle. You may want to check out the Backpackers Visa in Australia, but you have to work. The folks we met doing that were having a great adventure.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Watch the documentary Living on one dollar- it's currently on Netflix. It may have you rethink the live like a local lifestyle. You may want to check out the Backpackers Visa in Australia, but you have to work. The folks we met doing that were having a great adventure.
I just finished the documentary, good flick but I don't think any of us are advocating living in voluntary poverty. Living like the locals can simply mean eating local foods, cheap rent, riding a scooter instead of maintaining a car, etc.

I looked into the backpacker's visa and it looks like you need to be under 30yo. Bummer...