Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
I have unfrozen my accounts twice recently after applying for new credit cards. Both times the credit card company told me which agency to unfreeze and I was able to get a one time use PIN for free. Then you just call and give the credit card company the PIN and they were able to access my report and approve the applications.

Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
I appreciate this timely info as DW and I had recently gone through the process of freezing our credit. It was long overdue and we could anticipate no more need for credit for the foreseeable future. Fast forward a year and I find myself toying with refinancing our mortgage from an already low interest 30 yr to an even lower interest 15. Dang, gotta mess with the whole credit thaw/refreeze thing for both DW and I. But this makes it look like no big deal.

Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
Went through the process last night to place temporary lifts (thaws) on all bureaus for both DW and I - so 6 total. Took about an hour I'm guessing, maybe a bit less. But I had snapshots of the original PINs saved on my computer so that probably sped things up. (Generally there was a place to check if you did or did not remember your PIN.) I guess I wouldn't characterize the process as 'fun' and it would have been a little easier if the various bureaus were more consistent in their freeze/thaw processes, but I feel an hour's work and $30 outlay (6 x $5 in MN) is a reasonable price to pay for having reduced risk of fraud the rest of the time. This was my first experience in lifting a freeze so it should go even quicker next time - should there be one.

Appears I spoke too soon. Lender emailed me today saying they tried to pull credit reports this morning without success and that our records at all three bureaus appear to still be frozen. Spent too much time this morning on the phone with various reps with the end result being their positions that our freezes are currently "lifted" and have been so all day. (Actually, two of them initially claimed that they showed no sign that we had ordered a thaw. Once I asked them to explain their charges to my credit card and online confirmation messages that the thaws were successful they decided to dig deeper and, "Oh yes, it seems they 'have' been lifted.")

So now for the lender to try pulling again. Somehow I doubt I've heard the end of this...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!