Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Call them and tell them that you find their request unusually invasive and will not be providing that information.... you would like to know if they will approve you for a card based on what they have... if they say yes, then great, otherwise ... move on.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never been asked and wouldn't provide.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

A couple months ago, the nice lady at the Costco return counter asked if we wanted their Visa and started listing the rewards. I said sure (I think our newest CC was opened in 1985), she entered my SS and info from my drivers license, and then turned the screen to me to add income. I made up some lowballish number and got approved immediately for $8500 (we have just over six figures available on our other cards ). I think that’s a low limit but certainly high enough to handle the Greece trip we booked on it.

No proof of income. Not a chip and pin, though. Maybe something got entered wrong on the OP’s initial application that forced the requirement? Definitely have them go over the application with you if you really want that card.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Or just apply for a Barclay's card. They work well in chip-and-PIN Europe (somehow the same 4-digit PIN works at ATMs in America and on the PIN devices in Europe, which doesn't happen with most cards).

They have some good ones that give you some travel rewards and protections. I think mine was an Aviator MasterCard.
+1 and another plus no foreign transaction fees.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I would not contact them. Wait until they contact you and say "where are your tax returns"?

Then say I'm not sending them, I'm getting another card. They will then proceed w/o the info.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
But, really, AMEX? I have paid my bills on time and in full for decades. How could you miss that?
They miss that because credit card companies measure how much credit you have available, and you much you use. They don't care about assets, and any responsible spending, other than making payments on time. Those who pay off bills in full every month don't get any extra gold stars, and neither do the multi-millionares.

THEY CARE ABOUT CREDIT USE:

1) Number of open accounts;
2) Average length that accounts have been open;
3) Account diversity (home mortgage, revolving credit, car loans, etc.);
4) Utilization (% of credit limit used);
5) payment history; and
6) number of recent credit inquiries
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
They miss that because credit card companies measure how much credit you have available, and you much you use. They don't care about assets, and any responsible spending, other than making payments on time. Those who pay off bills in full every month don't get any extra gold stars, and neither do the multi-millionares.

THEY CARE ABOUT CREDIT USE:

1) Number of open accounts;
2) Average length that accounts have been open;
3) Account diversity (home mortgage, revolving credit, car loans, etc.);
4) Utilization (% of credit limit used);
5) payment history; and
6) number of recent credit inquiries
It's implicit because the length of credit and the history of on-time payments make up a large part of the credit score. No late payments for decades and a credit history equally long should convince most card issuers to move forward.

These companies do distinguish between transactors and revolvers and market accordingly. I'm a transactor, which Amex historically preferred.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
No late payments for decades and a credit history equally long should convince most card issuers to move forward.

These companies do distinguish between transactors and revolvers and market accordingly. I'm a transactor, which Amex historically preferred.
My mom once had a better credit score than I did (she was in her 70s, me in my 40s). She had multiple lines of credit, and used every one of them, maintaining balances on each line, and almost never making a late payment.

I, on the other hand, had few lines of credit, used them sparingly, paid off my bills on time, and did not buy things on installment plans. I thought it was grossly unfair that she had a better score than I, until I realized that they care about how you use credit, more than how responsible you are with money.

If you had five types of credit and made payements on time to each of them, you'd likely end up with a perfect or close to perfect score. Years later, I eclipsed her, despite fewer lines of credit, mostly because I never missed a payment.

AMEX used to work on a different model (and required payment in full every month). Now, I believe most of their business is credit card based.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
My mom once had a better credit score than I did (she was in her 70s, me in my 40s). She had multiple lines of credit, and used every one of them, maintaining balances on each line, and almost never making a late payment.

I, on the other hand, had few lines of credit, used them sparingly, paid off my bills on time, and did not buy things on installment plans. I thought it was grossly unfair that she had a better score than I, until I realized that they care about how you use credit, more than how responsible you are with money.

If you had five types of credit and made payements on time to each of them, you'd likely end up with a perfect or close to perfect score. Years later, I eclipsed her, despite fewer lines of credit, mostly because I never missed a payment.

AMEX used to work on a different model (and required payment in full every month). Now, I believe most of their business is credit card based.
I'm close to the max on credit score, often at the max. Have been for years. I use maybe three or four cards. Usually I let one or two close with a small balance and pay them off once the bill exists. I have no clue what offended Amex's algorithm. Oh, well, they did not get the transaction fees and Costco lost some business.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity recently sent me a letter to announce that because of my “exemplary use” of their VISA credit card they were raising our credit limit several thousand dollars (~20%).

Wow - exemplary!

Well, we have charged quite a bit this year. Always pay it off though.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:08 AM   #31

Seems odd. I got the First Tech card over a year ago and didn’t have to provide anything like that. I’ve been retired a long time so maybe they figured it was a lost cause. [emoji1]
Old 07-31-2018, 09:26 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughter is 24, has a 820 credit score even though she has had her first credit card (Amazon) less than a year. She just started her first career-job about a year ago-average new college grad salary--nothing extravagant.

Her initial credit limit was $1000 and she recently asked for an increase so it is now 2K.

But what is funny is that her credit report also shows another cc-- one I have had since 1995 with a $25K limit. She has been an authorized user but I'm almost certain that her SSN was never attached to it.

So she got her first credit card at age two according to her credit report!
Luvdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdogs View Post
But what is funny is that her credit report also shows another cc-- one I have had since 1995 with a $25K limit. She has been an authorized user but I'm almost certain that her SSN was never attached to it.

So she got her first credit card at age two according to her credit report!
Usually credit card companies ask for SSN when adding an AU. But even if they did not, if your daughter shares your last name and address, that may be enough to match the CC to her credit file.

I had the same thing happen to me, and I responsibly enjoyed the higher credit score. But in my case it was one of my Dad's store cards and I was age 4. He and I also share a first name, so in that situation they're even more likely to match the CC to my credit file.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:09 AM   #34

That would make me look for another chip and pin card.

I use the pen fed reward card which worked fine as chip and pin in Europe. The are lots of non vet ways to join. (Penfed is mainly for military.). We also have our untapped HELOC with them.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I did an online request for a credit limit increase on my Fidelity 2% Visa card a couple of months ago and it was declined because they said they didn't have a copy of my tax return and wanted me to send one in. I responded by cancelling my Fidelity 1.5% Visa card which I wasn't using anyway.

A couple of weeks ago I got a noticed congratulating me that my credit limit on my Fidelity 2% Visa card was increased. I hadn't done anything other than cancel the Fidelity 1.5% Visa card since the denial. I guess they must have had a change of heart.

I think you should wait them out and try again in a couple of months. Maybe they'll have a change of heart.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #36

OP here. Thought I would give a quick update on how this all turned out.

I decided not to contact First Tech about the income verification request and just see what happened. They sent me a few further emails, one of which was a link to the credit card agreement that I e-signed. All subsequent emails (after the "please verify your income by sending us tax returns" one) seemed to imply that my application had been approved and my account was being opened with no issues.

Yesterday, the First Tech Choice credit card showed up in my mailbox, and today I called the 800 number to activate the card. No issues, no problems. So it seems like that one email I received immediately after applying for the card asking for my tax returns was some sort of weird mistake or glitch in the system. Certainly glad I didn't waste time calling or chatting with FT customer support about it. Anyway, now I'm all set for my upcoming trip to Europe with a true chip-and-PIN card!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

With an 820 FICO score, income verification should not be required. Go to a more reasonable company.

For travel, I use the Capital One Visa that gives me 100% currency valuation and twice as many points that can be used for travel. It pays for.one round trip airfare yearly.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
OP here. Thought I would give a quick update on how this all turned out.

I decided not to contact First Tech about the income verification request and just see what happened. They sent me a few further emails, one of which was a link to the credit card agreement that I e-signed. All subsequent emails (after the "please verify your income by sending us tax returns" one) seemed to imply that my application had been approved and my account was being opened with no issues.

Yesterday, the First Tech Choice credit card showed up in my mailbox, and today I called the 800 number to activate the card. No issues, no problems. So it seems like that one email I received immediately after applying for the card asking for my tax returns was some sort of weird mistake or glitch in the system. Certainly glad I didn't waste time calling or chatting with FT customer support about it. Anyway, now I'm all set for my upcoming trip to Europe with a true chip-and-PIN card!
Good deal! Glad you didn't submit anything. Did they give you a reasonable credit limit?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Good deal! Glad you didn't submit anything. Did they give you a reasonable credit limit?
Yes, $20K. More than sufficient for my intended usage.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We applied for a JetBlue (Barclays) card a few years ago mostly to get mileage.

We entered our income honestly on the application.

We got a personalized letter back saying that because we checked the "retired" box our "level of income claimed was not credible" (or something to that effect) for retired people and thus we were denied. No recourse, no request for proof.

Now we're with Delta American Express Platinum and were approved instantly online.