Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #61
Gone but not forgotten

On the Home Depot... just once in the past 5 years, for an $8 purchase, and I was also on the emailing list... Don't even remember giving my Email address.

Solution? Chip in the arm.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Helpful hint (not sure if previously mentioned) But BofA (and others may as well) let you generate pseudo credit card numbers. Example: you say, create a new number for me. It generates a new cc number. You pick the ex date and the credit limit ($100?). It provides you with the 3 digit security code as well. You can create many of them.

I use them for all my online purchases and phone orders when dealing with any non-major web site. If I need a part for an appliance or some such, I use those numbers.... using a card that expires in a month and has a $50 credit limit on it. The numbers are associated with your main CC and when the charge comes in, it gets posted to my main card.

I also have my card setup for 'alerts'.....I get text messages for charges over xx.xx amt, online/phone orders, international charges etc.... At BofA, search on (I think) 'Safe Shop'
Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have only two cards. One a fairly low limit, and the other a fairly high limit. My original plan was to use the low limit card as an emergency card. After having the high limit card cloned, replaced for Target, replaced for Home depot, I changed my plan.

I put all my recurring charges on the low limit card. Utilities, Phone, etc. Things that are paid periodically. Everything else goes on the big card. Now when, and if the primary card is cloned, I don't have to go back to Dish, Amazon and the rest of regular payments.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
Helpful hint (not sure if previously mentioned) But BofA (and others may as well) let you generate pseudo credit card numbers. Example: you say, create a new number for me. It generates a new cc number. You pick the ex date and the credit limit ($100?). It provides you with the 3 digit security code as well. You can create many of them.
That's a good point FireBug. I believe that Discover lets one do the same thing.

However, it would not have helped me since to the best of my knowledge, my information was stolen at stores where I was physically present and my card was swiped. Not so good. We worry so much about giving information out on the Internet, but it seems more hazardous to have one's card swiped at a store.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

What we need to do is go back to the 'barter' system.