Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

5% rebates on ALL spending, no limits, for the first 6 months:
AARP
If there is a better card out there, let me know.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
AARP
How's the "junk mail" penalty for letting them know where you live?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check out American Express Blue Cash card.
American Express Blue Cash Card
Quote:
Spend more than $6,500 on your Card and boost your cash back from 0.5% to 1.25% on every purchase you make. Plus, you can go from 1% to 5% on everyday items like groceries and gasoline
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #24

I use Discover for sentimental reasons. My mother worked for Sears. She insisted I get one as soon as Sears introduced it in the 1980's. My Discover Card says "MEMBER SINCE 198X". When my mother died, I inherited a few shares of DFS (Discover Financial Services) which have done nicely. The customer service people at Discover always pretend to be impressed when they see my card issue date and I tell them I am a shareholder. On average I think Discover's perks are as good as any.

I also use two Chase Freedom Cards for trips. With the Chase card you can choose your payment due date. One card is due the middle of the month and the other card is due at the end of the month. when going on a trip I use the card that will allow me to get all trip charges on one statement. On the trip I charge everything to the card whether it is $.01 or $1,000.00. When the trip is over, I put the card away and when the statement comes in I have a wonderful trip journal. The Chase Freedom Card is accepted at many more places than the Discover Card, especially internationally. Of course I pay off each statement in full with no interest.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Check out American Express Blue Cash card.
American Express Blue Cash Card

Sounds like you have to pay $6500 for low rebates to get to the higher rebates.... I would much rather have high from dollar 1... and I do..
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #26

Discover isn't an option because I need universal acceptence -so mastercard or visa works. Already have an amex so amex is out of the question!

Interesting thread still though...

I haven't found most rewards to be equivalent to cash...anyone know of a case where points better cash?

For example, my oooold amex gold card - i had points built up from 5 years of similar spending to what I use now - and I cashed them in for something like 25 home depot cards - equal to about $700 - that took 5 years - the costco card gives me $400-500 cash each year...i don't need air miles or hotel, so those are pretty much not helpful to me. Only other thing I could think of would be gas rewards, but the costco card gives me 3% on gas so that is hard to beat too...
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi!

I needed a VISA card to make purchases overseas, and one vendor in particular didn't even take Mastercard. So I signed up for a Fidelity 1.5% cash back VISA. I just got it recently, so am not sure how much hassle it will be to get cash or put it in a investment account, but it seemed like the best option for me at the time.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Discover isn't an option because I need universal acceptence -so mastercard or visa works. Already have an amex so amex is out of the question!

Interesting thread still though...

I haven't found most rewards to be equivalent to cash...anyone know of a case where points better cash?

For example, my oooold amex gold card - i had points built up from 5 years of similar spending to what I use now - and I cashed them in for something like 25 home depot cards - equal to about $700 - that took 5 years - the costco card gives me $400-500 cash each year...i don't need air miles or hotel, so those are pretty much not helpful to me. Only other thing I could think of would be gas rewards, but the costco card gives me 3% on gas so that is hard to beat too...

All of mine give cash back...

Cap One nets to 1.25% for all purchases

One chase is 5% for gas and groceries

Another chase is 3% for various select groups (but they do not change)

Discover is 5% on their specials and change and are limited big time (not used except for these items).....

Now, I have used the Discover to buy a gift card with a value of $50 for $45 on a place I use all the time... to me, this is as good as cash... but all others are cash...

I do not want to get a Fidelity etc. where they make you open up an account... I had Emigrant Direct and found out that you need an account with them to get the better rebate... used them one month... hmmmm, wonder what their rebate is now...

OK... checked and they don't seem to be rebating anything now...
Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #29

OK. I've had the Costco amex for a couple of years. I've been using it more lately. I've never seen a rebate check. Um, duh, how you get the geetz?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
One chase is 5% for gas and groceries
Which one is it? I see Saphire has something like this but that was just for 3 months...?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
Which one is it? I see Saphire has something like this but that was just for 3 months...?

Old one they do not offer anymore.... had heard it was going to be cut like the Citi 5% card, but it never was... hope this does not jink it
Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
OK. I've had the Costco amex for a couple of years. I've been using it more lately. I've never seen a rebate check. Um, duh, how you get the geetz?
OMG seriously!

They send it attached to your February statement - it's one of the papers so you should have your most recent statement now - check the stack of papers and one looks like a check - you take it to the membership counter and they cash it or they tell you to go to the regular check out cashier and they cash it for you...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OMG seriously!

They send it attached to your February statement - it's one of the papers so you should have your most recent statement now ..........
Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I have autopay and tossed my statement already. I called and they will reissue the coupon for me.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #34

Just came across this at lifehacker.com
Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I have autopay and tossed my statement already. I called and they will reissue the coupon for me.
Do I get a reward!

i guess good karma will do! I've neglected my Feb statement before but never again!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do I get a reward!

i guess good karma will do! I've neglected my Feb statement before but never again!
I'm faxing you a $20 bill. Stand by.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #37

I've got over $3000 in credit toward a new GM car on our GM Mastercard. We don't buy GM anymore so we haven't been using the card. I wish there was some way to transfer the credit to someone else. We used it quite a bit in the past - negotiate our best deal and then apply the credit when it came time to pay for the car.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Just came across this at lifehacker.com
Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

I got two of the five. Discover and Chase Amazon. I use Discover as my #1.

I use the Chase as my backup when places don't accept Discover and when I shop specifically at Amazon.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
AARP
My that AARP cards is pretty nice, since it includes 0% APR for the first 12 billing cycles.

I am sticking with my Schwab 2% rebate card and the Costco AMEX card. I am expecting the Schwab card benefits to get cut soon since FIA took it over.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
This Fidelity Amex looks like the best deal out there: 2%.

I hate the "changing categories", points and all the BS marketing scams.
I've had that one for about a year (based on info posted here) - and I like it.

QUESTION: Seems like the only way to get that 2% is to have an eligible Fidelity account to xfer the rewards into. That's OK, but I can't find one with a balance requirement of less than $2,000. Since I move the rewards out right away, I don't want to mess with one with cap gains, so I put it into a MM type at low interest rate of course.

So if I figure that $2,000 isn't providing me with a 4% real that I should be able to count on long term, that's like losing $80 a year (more if you include long term inflation). That effectively cuts into the actual rewards. Still a good deal for me, but I was wondering if there is a better way to deal with this.

-ERD50

Tags
credit cards, rewards cards