Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I've got over $3000 in credit toward a new GM car on our GM Mastercard. We don't buy GM anymore so we haven't been using the card. I wish there was some way to transfer the credit to someone else. We used it quite a bit in the past - negotiate our best deal and then apply the credit when it came time to pay for the car.
I used my GM Mastercard bonus to buy my last new car in 1998. I had to buy a new car on short notice because the car I was driving (Chevrolet) was stolen while I was at w*#K at MegaCorp in beautiful downtown MyTown. I wanted a Saturn (which was a hot number in 1998). I discovered the GM Mastercard bonus could not be applied to the purchase of a Saturn. So, I bought a Cavalier since I could use the bonus.I'm still driving the Cavalier. It has been a great car, very reliable and economical. I also own a Buick Lesabre and a full size GMC pickup, but I won't be buying any more GM vehicles.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I used my GM Mastercard bonus to buy my last new car in 1998. I had to buy a new car on short notice because the car I was driving (Chevrolet) was stolen while I was at w*#K at MegaCorp in beautiful downtown MyTown. I wanted a Saturn (which was a hot number in 1998). I discovered the GM Mastercard bonus could not be applied to the purchase of a Saturn. So, I bought a Cavalier since I could use the bonus.I'm still driving the Cavalier. It has been a great car, very reliable and economical. I also own a Buick Lesabre and a full size GMC pickup, but I won't be buying any more GM vehicles.
I used the GM card three years ago to lease a Saturn. Had only $400 built up this time but didn't buy GM, so what to do with the $400? Not all cards are the same, but I was able to redeem mine for cash. Have to take it in $50 increments but I was not aware of this feature. Just got the check last week. Check it out.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another question. I've noticed that a fair number of Airline credit cards are offering free checked baggage. Anyone taken advantage of this at $40 to $50 per round trip flight this could add up.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am sticking with my Schwab 2% rebate card and the Costco AMEX card. I am expecting the Schwab card benefits to get cut soon since FIA took it over.
I'd had a FIA MasterCard for a number of years at 1.25%. When FIA came out with their Amex card at 2% it gave us an extra boost because Costco accepts Amex from other providers. We used to pay cash or check at Costco and suddenly we could start using an Amex.

So now FIA is rebating us 2% for using our Amex at Costco, which has darn near doubled our credit-card use and more than tripled our rebates.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'd had a FIA MasterCard for a number of years at 1.25%. When FIA came out with their Amex card at 2% it gave us an extra boost because Costco accepts Amex from other providers. We used to pay cash or check at Costco and suddenly we could start using an Amex.

So now FIA is rebating us 2% for using our Amex at Costco, which has darn near doubled our credit-card use and more than tripled our rebates.
Nords, thanks for the creative thinking. My brain normally shuts down when I
hear AMEX or Discover bc many of the local places esp restaurants don't accept them. We use the Costco AMEX but never thought about other AMEX.
I assume the FIA is a flat 2% for everything like the Schwab card is?
I vaguely recall that PenFed had some kind of AMEX too.......FIA is better?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
I assume the FIA is a flat 2% for everything like the Schwab card is?
I vaguely recall that PenFed had some kind of AMEX too.......FIA is better?
The only reason we even got the FIA Amex is because FIA was pushing its 2% rebate. I asked Costco about their Amex (not as good a deal), mentioned FIA's Amex, and Costco said they'd take anyone's Amex. Considering that we're at Costco weekly for pizza & fro yo, our credit card spending just about doubled on groceries & gas.

It's 2% for everything, no games or quibbles. The rebate is credited to our Fidelity account quarterly. About the only places not taking Amex around here are the state DMV, Taco Bell, and little hole-in-the-wall restaurants.

FIA did game us a little-- they gave us the Amex but the Amex's credit limit was taken out of my pre-existing FIA Mastercard's credit limit. So my FIA credit limit didn't actually rise, and my FIA credit limit (all obtained since I've retired) is substantially less than my limit on my USAA card.

I rarely use the USAA card because it has a lower rebate, but I keep it expressly for its high limit and its being a separate issuer from FIA. I take it on the road in case FIA suspends their card for a travel-related fraud alert.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #47

I have an AMEX business card that gives 3% cash back on gas (was 5%), cell phone charges and office supplies, 1% on everything else. Would love to find a card with the 5% cash back on gas. Anyone have that card? I would like an alternate card to the AMEX card because a lot of gas stations don't accept AMEX.

Tags
credit cards, rewards cards