Join Early Retirement Today

Credit card unfreeze / freeze experience
Old 09-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Credit card unfreeze / freeze experience

As most of you know, the law now calls for credit agencies to freeze and unfreeze credit reports for free. What follows may be common knowledge, but it was new to me.

I recently had to unfreeze my report at experian (after having frozen all my credit reports after the equifax breach), and found it was very easy to do.

I unfroze it for a day to take care of business. In the process, but after the fact, I learned of an easy way to allow your financial institution a one time access to your credit report WITHOUT unfreezing (why don't we say Thawing?) your credit report.

You obtain a one time PIN on the web site after authenticating yourself and providing your freeze PIN. You then give the PIN to your financial institution. Easy!

My experience is only with experian. Do other credit bureaus offer the same feature?

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

I have always unfreezed for a fixed amount of time via the 800 numbers. This was fairly painless except for paying the unearned $10 to the credit bureau.

gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #3

I had to unfreeze with one of the bureaus (may have been Experian) a couple of months ago to get a credit card approved. I'd kept scrupulous records when I froze all 3 and it was very easy to unfreeze it and then lock it again. No charge.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have to freeze credit report at all three bureaus to make sense.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Do you have to freeze credit report at all three bureaus to make sense.
Yes. At least the main three and perhaps a couple more.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #6

I freeze at all three bureaus and then when someone I am doing business with tries to pull a credit report and fails, I ask them which of the three I need to unfreeze.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #7

A few years ago I too froze my credit accounts; at the time each agency gave me a PIN to unfreeze. A week ago I applied for a new credit card due to its incentive. I was initially rejected because they could not access my credit reports. I called and gave the Experian PIN. Literally minutes later I was approved.
So, I can say that the freezing/PIN unfreeze works.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Big 3 plus Innovis, NCTUE, and ChexSystems at a minimum.
If you are the thorough type, there is a document here listing 46 different credit reporting agencies (sourced from the CFPB)
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/09/...l-be-fee-free/

There is also an old thread on here (can't find the book mark) that also lists additional agencies.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #9

Found the internal thread:
(FAQ) Identity theft, online security, privacy
Old 09-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You can also do a thaw instead of unfreeze. With the thaw, you can give access to a short time (say, a couple of weeks) then you credit will automatically go back to frozen to save you the step of having to give another freeze order.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have written before about the two times my frozen credit reports were an issue. The first time was when I was offered some discount on a purchase if I opened a store credit card on the spot at the checkout area. I said it was okay but got rejected without knowing the reason. (I had frozen my credit reports a year or so earlier and had forgotten about it.) It took about 25 minutes to buy one lousy item, and without any discount, annoying me quite a bit. A few days later, I got a form letter from the bank behind the failed credit card request and called the number. I was told it was because my credit report had been frozen. Too bad the store’s cashier didn’t mention it or know to mention it.

The next time was when I requested an increase in my existing credit card limit. I was at my local bank and the rep put me on the phone with someone from their credit department who then warned me that I had to make sure my credit report for the agency they use was not frozen. Now sufficiently warned, when I got home I found the carefully stored PIN letter and had it in front of me when I called them back. They put me on a 3-way call with the agency whose rep thawed my credit long enough for the bank rep to grant my request and put in my higher limit for the next day.

Big difference between how these two issues were resolved.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post

Big difference between how these two issues were resolved.
Big difference between the skills and wages of the people involved.