Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Credit Card was discontinued
Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Credit Card was discontinued

When Obiwan signed the "credit card relief act" earlier in the year, I quickly received a letter from the issuer of my MasterCard, that the "trust" which funded the card's outstanding / unpaid debts was going to back out of it's deal with the issuer (Advanta), therefore forcing Advanta to tell all card holders (myself included), that our respective accounts were being shutdown. I lost an active $15K line of credit and around a 9%APR card. I was forced to scramble for a new card.
My current MasterCard wouldn't match the old one's line of credit but raised my request from $500 to $5000 active line of credit.
Anyone able to recommend other cards out there as I may apply for a "backup" to the current one I'm using. Links & feedback with additional info is appreciated.
Thank you.
danno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got my Penfed card on the basis of recommendations from others on this forum. I've been very pleased with it. Had to join the military family association for the first year in order to qualify, but no big deal.

www.penfed.org

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

All credit issuers are cutting back, especially on lines of credit and inactive cards. My USAirways card was cancelled after 10 months of non use (I usually try to use all my cards once a year). My BOA card had its limit slashed over 50%. Like Sarah said, Penfed is good. You might want to try your bank too if you are an established customer.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Much appreciated. Another thing I've noticed is the fact that all those card offers don't come in as often. I'll look into PenFed
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Credit Cards | Best Credit Card Offers | Low APR Interest Rewards | Bad Credit Application Secured Apply Compare Report Score
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like Schwab's brokerage card. 2% off all purchases get deposited directly into my brokerage account.
Cash Back Credit Card: Schwab Bank: Visa® Credit Card
Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Zathras: Thanks....what's APR on that card? Can you request a specific credit limit? I wonder if I can use my old credit limit on pevious invoices as proof? And I wonder if the card I had, when it was cancelled on my by the card issuer, had an affect on my FICO score?
Curious
Old 09-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #8

I THINK it is 8.9%. However, I don't pay attention as I have never paid a finance charge (pay it off every month).
As for requesting the limit, I am sure you can request anything you want. I am also sure they will follow their own formula, just as all of them do.
And those formulas have become more stringent.
I don't think any limits you had in the past will have any affect on it, credit is much tighter now.
If a card is not canceled due to late payments/defaults by you, I would not think it would negatively affect your FICO, but not sure.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Take a look at the "What Credit Card Should I Get?" thread at fatwallet.com
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457/
MayGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #10

My Schwab Visa interest rate is 5.15%. Almost makes me want to carry a balance!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
I do have near perfect credit, but I suspect most people on this forum do to (at least those that are at or near FI/ER), but it does make we wonder what exactly the rules engine is for cancelling accounts versus increasing credit limits.
To some degree, I think it depends on the solvency and quality of the accounts held by the issuing bank. If an issuer had high standards for approval and is seeing relatively low default rates, they may be well-capitalized enough to not need to cancel many accounts or cut back on credit lines.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I suspect this card didn't make the best card list:

No, You're Reading That Right | NBC San Diego

79.9%, but with a low, low $75 annual fee.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I suspect this card didn't make the best card list:
And if you fail to make a payment this guy will come at you:

Debt Collector On Tape: "I'm Gonna F**** You Up"

On the other hand, it is a bargain as good as this:

Best Buy: -$50 Off Camera Anti-Sale
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday I got a letter from CitiBank informing me that my inactive credit card will be cancelled on 12/28/09, the credit line will be reduced to $100 on December 1. Nice to know in advance on the off chance that I might want to use it on Black Friday. IIRC, when one of my other cards was cancelled, the bank informed me three weeks after the cancellation date.

Can’t blame the banks for freeing up credit for their good customers who might actually carry a balance. Most of my inactive accounts were started because of a great deal like: open an account, bank will send an iPod, $50.00 or $100 gift certificate, etc.

What are the odds that banks will go after active accounts, say of bad customers who pay the balance off every month?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What are the odds that banks will go after active accounts, say of bad customers who pay the balance off every month?
You would be a transactor in credit card speak. You would still be profitable with the right volume and you are low risk. From this document
Quote:
… indeed, MasterCard's own documents confirm that its issuers earn at least a 15% return on equity with some "pure transactors" – those transacting sufficient volume.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #16

advanta dropped me about 6 or 8 months back i think...opened it for a 0% balance transfer....so it didnt bug me much
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

PENFED called unsolicited to RAISE my credit limit. While on the phone I asked for a different card. End result I went from a single platinum card with 20k limit to two platinum cards with 50k each?? I wonder what they'll say when I ask for their new amex travel card too??
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Most interesting thread. I received an unsolicited and pre-approved VISA Black card mailer yesterday. (Sounds racist doesn't it?) ahem: I'm sure most of you guys didn't get one, since they stated very clearly that these exclusive mailers only went to "uniquely positioned" people consisting of only 1% of the US population. <snort> <snicker>
Anyway, just for grins and chuckles, I started reading the fine print, and lo and behold, there it was......a $495 annual fee.
Let's break down what they mean by "uniquely positioned". Uniquely means "you look stupid" Positioned means "bend over and grab your ankles"

The application went straight to file 13, in many more pieces than was originally mailed. I'm not unique, nor am I "positioned".

lol
bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
The application went straight to file 13, in many more pieces than was originally mailed. I'm not unique, nor am I "positioned".

lol
But even then it may not be safe.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
But even then it may not be safe.
Well I guess the only answer is vermiculture then.

Saw a YouTube gardening video where a woman was giving a tour of her organic veggie garden, chickens, beehives, etc. When she got to the worm composting bin she stated that when she needs to dispose of confidential client files, she shreds them and feeds them to the worms. The files end up as worm castings in her garden!
hguyw is offline   Reply With Quote