Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Credit Cards, Debt, and Bankruptcy
Old 03-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's only an "abuse" if you can't use it. I see nothing
wrong with the "homestead exemption".

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Uncledrz, I have been away for a while, but I had last heard that although the bankruptcy reform bill allows each state to have their own homestead exemption amount with no upper or lower caps, you have to live in that state at least 40 months (I could be wrong about the number of months) to claim that state's exemptions.

Martha

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #23

Quote:
"Most certainly a bill is going to pass", perhaps the
scariest words ever to fall on the ears of an American citizen. *If I had to choose between another Bin Laden
attack, an IRS superaudit, bypass surgery, amoebic dysentery, the black plague, or a "bill passing", well, I am just not sure........................ * * * *

JG
Politicians and diapers.
Both need to be changed.
For the same reason.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
When you give a credit card to someone already swimming in debt, you shouldn't be allowed to collect if they go belly up.
IMHO:
Sort of sounds like .... if you get fat eating at McDonald's then you shouldn't be held responsible for putting the food in your mouth or driving up to the window to chow down. It's their fault for tempting you.

What ever happened to personal responsibility? And that goes for all unpaid bills. If you're too broke to self-insure medically, you have the responsibility to at least carry major medical. If you're too broke for even that, then you may be eligible for Medi-Cal where we all wind up picking up the tab but you don't go under in one aspect of your financial life causing you to sink with the rest. Bottom line: don't overspend or try to keep up with the neighbors <who are probably swimming in debt> and you won't have to worry about it.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #25

Are we back to bashing the evil credit card companies?
Will no one take responsibility for their own condition,
actions, failures, misfortunes? Why am I asking you people?

JG
Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #26

The evil credit card companies deserve some bashing. IMHO they should be more transparancy. And no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get them to stop sending me junk mail.

I'm also for personal responsibility. Having said that, the homstead exemption is a crock of ****. A 'living' exemption that applies equally to everyone makes more sense. I have no problem will a bizzilionare having to downsize to a dumpy apartment to pay for their debts and failures. One size fits all.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:21 AM   #27

Don't agree at all. There is plenty of competition in
the credit card business. No one forces you to have one
or to use it. It's called free enterprise and personal
choice. As far as the homestead exemption and
bankruptcy. That's the law. If a bazillionaire takes
advantage by buying a castle in Florida or wherever...........that is just being smart. It is neither
illegal, immoral nor fattening.

JG
Old 03-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Politicians and diapers.
Both need to be changed.
For the same reason.
Lets put the politicians in diapers.

On their heads of course, thats where the doo-doo comes from
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

So let me get this straight by way of example:

I could take the credit card offers I have recieved in the last couple of months, run up $100,000 in cc debt to trade up to a monster McMansion in my neighborhood, declare bankruptcy, and come out way ahead, right? JG, you know best of all that real estate is just another investment/asset class. If someone is able to wipe the debt slate clean and keep a house they couldn't afford in the first place, that's a loophole that should be closed. Maybe a shelter equal to the median home price of the county, and then a lean on the remainder when you sell (somebody's got a better idea, I'm sure).

Disclosure: if I was in a position to take advantage of this loophole, you better believe I would! Not casting holier than thou stones by any means. But right now Florida has a nice little avenue to suck assets/tax revenue from other states. While I would like to see the feds have less power, there are some issues that have to be handled at the federal level, or else you just have a race to the bottom between the states.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #30

Perhaps I'm not explaining this very well. There are literally
thousands of laws that I regard as nutty and more are being passed all the time. You MUST take every advantage (legally) because you are getting screwed
right and left in many other ways. If you don't take
advantage of those laws that benefit you, you are either
clueless or live in a different world than I do. In other
words (using your example) I not only support the
"rich" buying huge homes on credit and then filing
bankruptcy, I think they are smart to do so if insolvency is staring them in the face (for any reason). You have
to protect yourself because no one out there cares
as much as you do about protecting you. As for the argument that these "loopholes" run up the costs for the rest of us.
I don't buy that either. Using credit cards is a purely
voluntary act and the business is very competitive.
If you don't like the big bad credit card companies, then
don't use their product! EOR (end of rant)

JG
Old 03-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #31

Quote:
I don't buy that either. Using credit cards is a purely
voluntary act and the business is very competitive.
JG
Granting credit is a purely voluntary act. If the banks want to reduce their default rate, they should screen their applicants better. They shouldn't run to Congress to fix their poor business decisions.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Don't agree at all. *There is plenty of competition in the credit card business. *No one forces you to have one or to use it. *It's called free enterprise and personal choice...JG
Is this John Galt that I am agreeing with? Up to the homesteading part that is ....

Quote:
Granting credit is a purely voluntary act. If the banks want to reduce their default rate, they should screen their applicants better. They shouldn't run to Congress to fix their poor business decisions.
Agreed ... they should screen better. However, applicants willingly fill out those forms and send them back .... and many may fudge on them just to make themselves eligible? They are not doing so under duress .... it is an active conscious decision that they should take personal responsiblity for

I have 2 cards .... one that I took all my son's debt onto with a 4.9% interest rate until paid off and one that I use each month and pay off in full so I am hardly against them. They are a useful tool IMHO if used wisely
Old 03-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #33

d Re: Credit Cards, Debt, and Bankruptcy

I'm all for personal responsibility, but surely that responsibility runs to the individuals who are making the credit decisions for the credit card company.

Making a decision to grant credit to someone is a business decision that credit card companies make. The fact that credit card companies were sending several offers a week to my neighbors while the bank was in the process of taking their home for lack of mortgage payments tells me that the credit card companies are not spending too much time analyzing that decision.

If I make a bad business decision and decide to invest in a company that has lied to me in their SEC findings and ultimately costs me a lot of money, no one bails me out. No one makes the corrupt executives pay me back. I made a bad business decision based on lies and it doesn't matter. I'm out.

The credit card companies already have much more protection than I do. They don't want to take any responsibility for actually reviewing credit reports before they grant another credit card because that would slow down the process and they wouldn't make as much money as they do by just giving out credit cards like candy. So they've decided that it makes more sense for them to give out credit cards to any person real or imaginary that they can find an address for. Now they've decided that if they can get some bleeding heart neo-cons to support their cause they can give away credit to everyone and not suffer any downside potential themselves. How does that help us?
Old 03-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #34

They check your credit when you send the form back in.

One of the question when you file for banruptcy is have you purchased anything for $1000 (chpt 13) $500 (chpt 7) within the last 12 months. I don't know what the court does if you have and especially if it was attached to your exempted possessions. I think a yes answer to either of these questions makes you ineligible. The trustee works to have you not confirmed and your bankruptcy dismissed, so they look pretty hard to find anything to get it thrown out.

If it is discovered that your financial condition has drasitcally changed and you go out on a buying spree I think the trustee would bring that up and possibly try to have criminal charges brought against the plaintiff for fraud.

From what I have read/heard about the new law the only changes concern those making more than the median income for the area. So it effects those who would be concidered wealthy and not change anything for those considered poor. Funny how the liberals in Congress are against this, because it hurts the poor, but it doesn't change anything for the poor, only the rich. What they want it to hurt more for the poor also? I'm sure the evil consertives in Congress are willing to f@#$ the poor also.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #35

Quote:
From what I have read/heard about the new law the only changes concern those making more than the median income for the area. *So it effects those who would be concidered wealthy and not change anything for those considered poor. *Funny how the liberals in Congress are against this, because it hurts the poor, but it doesn't change anything for the poor, only the rich.
Interesting point about this was brought up on a radio program I heard last week with the author of the Nolo Press bankruptcy books and some others. The claim was that the new law will really only directly affect the top 5 or 10% by income of the debtors. Those top income debtors though are the ones who have more access to the remaining legal dodges to avoid payment (excessive homestead exemptions, trusts, etc.). What it was claimed that the apparent real purpose of the law is to make the bankruptcy process so difficult and protracted that it will put it beyond the reach of the bottom income tier of debtors.

If it is true that it only will affect the top 5 to 10% why go to the bother of bringing in another 500 or so page bill? Why not limit the homestead exemption, exempt retirement accounts to some "reasonable" level but make them fair game for debt payment beyond that and simplify the process? Because Ken Lay and other Bush friends may have to pay their debts?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 AM   #36

[quote=Hyperborea *Because Ken Lay and other Bush friends may have to pay their debts?[/quote]

If you Lay down with Bushes you get up with freebees

JG
Old 03-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

"Most bankruptcies are caused by medical emergencies, prolonged job loss or divorce"

I'm not going to say this is wrong because I don't know the stats on bankruptcy. I will say, however, that I don't personally know anyone who filed for bankruptcy for any reason other than they lived beyond their means.

Currently we have two friends (with families) having a financial hard time due to illnesses and prolonged time off from work. Now if it comes to a bankruptcy in either case I'm sure people will blame the high medical bills and loss of income as the culprits. But in both cases they (families) were WAY over their heads in credit card/revolving credit bills due to their lifestyles. And in both cases they can't stop buying. New furniture, new trailer to haul all the snowmobiles (that were all bought on credit), tons & tons of Christmas gifts for the kids, etc. I guess they are obsessive/compulsive spenders and they just can't change their ways. As one of the guys said to me just two days ago "It's all about the toys you know".
Old 03-14-2005, 05:20 AM   #38

Quote:
"Most bankruptcies are caused by medical emergencies, prolonged job loss or divorce"

I'm not going to say this is wrong because I don't know the stats on bankruptcy. I will say, however, that I don't personally know anyone who filed for bankruptcy for any reason other than they lived beyond their means. ...
Do you mean that most people who file for bankruptcy were probably living on the brink beforehand and that a medical emergency, job loss, or divorce was the event which pushed them over edge?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:37 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes.

Although they weren't "on the brink" they were over it before the medical emergency kicked in. Now I'm hearing how they just can't handle another bill since they were already living paycheck-to-paycheck along with the use of their credit cards.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:44 AM   #40

Kz, good point