Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Hmmm ... I just got a cash rewards CC offer in the mail from BoA. It looke good at first ...

3% cash back on car fuel
2% cash back on groceries
1% back on everything else

The APR was 14%. The one hook was that if there was one late payment, the APR doubled to ~28% indefinitely! You have to be very disciplined about paying off the balance each pay period. There were also late payment fees in there as well.

Read the fine prints!
My BofA credit cards are ebilled to my BofA checking account and automatically paid one day ahead. I also get a 10% bonus on the cash rewards from having a BofA checking account.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The APR was 14%. The one hook was that if there was one late payment, the APR doubled to ~28% indefinitely!
FWIW, I once got nicked with a late payment fee that was easilyh 4x more than the interest.

I ended up setting up my bill-pay at the bank to automatically make the usual minimum payment amount every month. I might still pay interest, but not that darn late fee. Mostly though, I just make sure I don't miss a payment and always pay it off the month I get it.

Often, if I make a big purchase on a CC I tell bill-pay to make a one time payment of that amount immediately, thus sucking the money out of my checking account as though I had paid cash.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
FWIW, I once got nicked with a late payment fee that was easilyh 4x more than the interest.

I ended up setting up my bill-pay at the bank to automatically make the usual minimum payment amount every month. I might still pay interest, but not that darn late fee.
I hear you on the late fee. Never want one of those!

But most CC companies will let you "pull" your payment automatically. In other words, you set it up with the CC company, not the bank. If for whatever reason they fail to pay themselves on time, not your problem!

IMHO, there are two good reasons not to auto-pay. If there's any risk of overdrawing the account, or if you have inconsistent cash flow and need to defer some bills from time to time. You could also argue that paying every bill as late as possible means more interest income. Big companies that move large amounts of cash will do this, but it's probably not worth the effort for most individuals.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Over the years, I've had late fees twice, each time due to some stressful situation at home that caused me to forget to pay until a couple days late. Both times, I pleaded "good customer, please give a break" with a rep on the phone and got the late fee removed. Two different cards...I doubt it would work twice with the same card.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Just applied for the Amazon 5% signature card.

If you use the Citi 2% card for monthly bill paying (utilities, cell, internet, etc) do you get cash back for that? I guess they aren't really purchases.

Given that, how about using it to pay your monthly mortgage payment?
Yes everything that's charged gets the rebate. Not sure about Mortgage payments. (I would check with your bank on this)

I used to pay my sons tuition with the card, but the school started charging a fee, making it not worthwhile. I also pay my Insurance polices with the card.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have those two cards. Maybe it’s worth moving $100K over.
Looked at that yesterday and don't find the (BofA card point bump offer) anymore. Which could be lack of skill, but was hoping our Merrill cards would work.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
I used to pay my sons tuition with the card, but the school started charging a fee, making it not worthwhile. I also pay my Insurance polices with the card.

I use credit cards to pay for insurance. I always pay the entire year at once and I find this is a good way to fulfill bonus requirements for new credit card offers. Otherwise it takes awhile to spend the $2-3k required.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Looked at that yesterday and don't find the (BofA card point bump offer) anymore. Which could be lack of skill, but was hoping our Merrill cards would work.
Were you looking for this:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/prefer...wards/details/
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Think that is the one, thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't work with our Merrill+ cards and is limited in reward categories so even with a .75% reward bump it doesn't beat the dead easy 2% on anything Fidelity cards.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

1.75 * 1.5% = 2.625% > 2%
Also
1.75 * 2% = 3.5%
1.75 * 3% = 5.25%
43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just received this reply from a Discover rep when asked about their protection offers:

Quote:
...yes Auto Rental Insurance, Extended Product Warranty, Flight Accident Insurance, Purchase Protection, Return Guarantee will be discontinued . This will be Effective February 28, 2018 due to low customer usage. Does this information help?
Bold added by me for emphasis.
I can't recommend Discover anymore. That's too much to give up, and one of the best reasons to use a credit card.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Thinking about it more I don’t think I’ll bother. I’m getting 2% to 6% in the US already depending on the category and it would difficult to figure out which assets to transfer.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Pretty much any issuer except: USAA, PenFed, NavyFCU and other credit union affiliated banks.

I don't know of any large commercial issuers that "require" what you speak of. I have had Bank of America and Chase cards that didn't require me to have a separate account.
The Fidelity 2% VISA requires you to have a Fidelity account to get the 2%.
You don't have to have a Fidelity acct to get the VISA, but in that case, you only get 1%.

I got the Fidelity acct yrs ago because I had to...... to get a sign up bonus of some sort. After that bonus was received, the account balance was $2 for many yrs (too lazy to close acct). Came in handy belatedly when this card and 2% rewards came around....w/ a small sign up bonus too.
I
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote