Credit Freeze: What exactly does that mean?

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Recently put a freeze at all 3 credit bureaus. This prevents any credit check or ability to open a new credit account unless I unfreeze. Do I have to unfreeze all 3? or find out which credit bureau the company/service uses to check my credit? Does one credit company affect all 3?

Example: I open a charge account with Macy's with Transunion and only unfreeze Transunion. I miss a payment. Reporting goes to all 3 credit bureau's right? My credit score varies a few pts. with each bureau for some reason.

Recently put a freeze at all 3 credit bureaus. This prevents any credit check or ability to open a new credit account unless I unfreeze. Do I have to unfreeze all 3? or find out which credit bureau the company/service uses to check my credit? Does one credit company affect all 3?

Example: I open a charge account with Macy's with Transunion and only unfreeze Transunion. I miss a payment. Reporting goes to all 3 credit bureau's right? My credit score varies a few pts. with each bureau for some reason.

The freeze does not prevent any creditor from adding to your credit history. Miss a payment and it will go to all 3.

If you are seeking credit, most times you can ask which bureau they are going to go to and then just unfreeze that one.

There are 4. Innovis is the new kid on the block.

There are over 46 credit bureaus.
NCTUE is important to stop ("slow down?") having your phone # hijacked.

Thanks - I did NCTUE about 6 months ago when someone else here mentioned it.

Identity thief had your ID info and decides to open a credit line in your name. He goes an apartment complex, a car dealership and credit card company. Each of these has their own method of checking credit and verifying identity. My Citi stolen twice but I know they do business with Equifax. Doesn't each credit bureau contact or share information with each other? How do less known credit bureaus get in business and get all your personal information? The big 3 share with them?

Back
Top Bottom