Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I'm guessing you flunked Econ 101? Reported GDP is always a "real" number, with inflation stripped out.
Brewer you know that only us dummies believe the guberment inflation numbers. The real inflation number which is broadcast to all of the tin-foil hat wearers is much higher, so real GDP is actually negative.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Brewer you know that only us dummies believe the guberment inflation numbers. The real inflation number which is broadcast to all of the tin-foil hat wearers is much higher, so real GDP is actually negative.
Gotcha. Maybe if I connect my tinfoil hat to the 220V outlet we have fo the dryer and hold an old TV antenna at the same time I will get the secret messages. Funny they aren't included as part of my very expensive membership in the Gnomes of Zurich.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
But I did receive two advertising fliers in the mail today, one from the CU I belong to and one from a local bank, boasting of low rates and asking people to come in and apply.
I got those flyers, too. One was in fact an email sent to me by my own bank suggesting free process and low rates. Process wasn't free, rates (adjustable and linked to Prime) were almost 0.75 higher than previous HELOC and folks were pretty clumsy about how to proceed. Tried another big bank that was advertising with about the same results.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I got those flyers, too. One was in fact an email sent to me by my own bank suggesting free process and low rates. Process wasn't free, rates (adjustable and linked to Prime) were almost 0.75 higher than previous HELOC and folks were pretty clumsy about how to proceed. Tried another big bank that was advertising with about the same results.
So, what are you saying? You think banks and CU's are spending advertising dollars to bring in heloc and mortgage customers, but when the customers get there it turns out they were only kidding and don't want the business? (That is, the business of the real customers, not dummies wanting zero down or other BS.)

The rates being up is no surprise. As far as employees being clumsy about how to proceed........, makes no sense. Maybe you need a new bank?

My impression is that I could stop by my bank and open a heloc or get a fixed rate mortgage on my home with no issue.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Gotcha. Maybe if I connect my tinfoil hat to the 220V outlet we have fo the dryer and hold an old TV antenna at the same time I will get the secret messages. Funny they aren't included as part of my very expensive membership in the Gnomes of Zurich.
Quote:
I find this constant mention of tinfoil hats here disrespectful, demeaning and very condescending. It really sends the wrong message to the younger, newer members.

Tinfoil was replaced with aluminum years ago - the correct term is "aluminum foil hat". AFDB for the more technically inclined.

Please...

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

Michael
Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I find this constant mention of tinfoil hats here disrespectful, demeaning and very condescending. It really sends the wrong message to the younger, newer members.

Tinfoil was replaced with aluminum years ago - the correct term is "aluminum foil hat". AFDB for the more technically inclined.

Please...

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

Michael
Back when I was at NASA they were referred to as "tinfoil hats" even though they were all made out of aluminum foil. I think its more the tradition of the device.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Back when I was at NASA they were referred to as "tinfoil hats" even though they were all made out of aluminum foil. I think its more the tradition of the device.
Sure. Heck, we still call it "Coca-Cola" even though it hasn't contained cocaine for a century or so...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #28

Quote:
So, what are you saying? You think banks and CU's are spending advertising dollars to bring in heloc and mortgage customers, but when the customers get there it turns out they were only kidding and don't want the business?
I'm not inside the bank, so I can only guess what they are doing. A simple explanation is that the advertising group is a little more disconnected from the lending business than you imply. What I was trying to suggest was that my simple example of a slam-dunk HELOC being more difficult than expected means that the loan business may be starting to come back some places but not here. Likewise, if this is an improvement from the worst it was, it is still a long way from "healed" and might take a while to really be back to normal (whatever that it).