Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Credit Reporting Recommendation Needed
Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Credit Reporting Recommendation Needed

Due to Fido's incompetence in getting my billing address changed in early December, it appears we are the victim of mail theft, namely one of the tax statements. The reason we changed our billing address to a UPS store box is because there's been a LOT of mail theft in our area :face palm:. I'm working with Fido to have this account re-registered, will be changing names & pws of our on-line accounts, and changing future delivery method to on-line only.

DH and I have decided to also utilize a credit monitoring agency...I know we could do it ourselves, but I just don't want to. With all of these breaches and stuff we think it will be worth the nominal yearly cost.

Any recommendations? Anything to look for in services provided? Thank you.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #2

You could just put a freeze on your credit for a year; if you don't think you'll need a loan....
Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

after my ID got sifted (i.e. some dude in the UK had $180K wired out of a heloc) I called Equifax and opened an account - also had the other two reporting agencies lock my credit

I also got an account with identityguard - prolly overkill.

although it stinks big time, there are way worse things in life than to have your id sifted
Old 03-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

+1 on the credit freeze. It's usually free (or pretty cheap) and doing a temporary thaw isn't very hard. As a matter of fact, many credit issuers can do a one time thaw if you are willing to provide your "unlock PIN". American Express did this when I opened my Preferred Cash card. Also, Credit Karma is free and an excellent way to keep abreast of what's going w/ your credit. I also believe that they now have credit alerts.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never heard of freezing your credit. Does it just mean that you can't get a new loan or credit card while it is frozen? Any impact on existing lines?
fanmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Thank you for the info.

Wrt the credit freeze, no debt other than a HELOC at a ridiculously low promo rate, so no impact. How does the freeze work with existing companies you have a relationship with, such as insurance, cc, etc., that I understand pull you credit periodically. Do they still have access or do you need to unfreeze at their request?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

The freeze will not impact your current lenders as they are able to pull your credit report periodically. It will only affect new credit application. I've had my credit frozen online 5 years ago and I when I recently needed a credit balance increase with my bank I only unfroze it with the credit bureau they deal with (Experian) for a specified time of 2 weeks at a cost of $5.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
The freeze will not impact your current lenders as they are able to pull your credit report periodically. It will only affect new credit application. I've had my credit frozen online 5 years ago and I when I recently needed a credit balance increase with my bank I only unfroze it with the credit bureau they deal with (Experian) for a specified time of 2 weeks at a cost of $5.
Sounds like the credit freeze is the way to go along with rotating quarterly checks of the 3 credit bureaus via the free annual reporting option. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Sounds like the credit freeze is the way to go along with rotating quarterly checks of the 3 credit bureaus via the free annual reporting option. Thank you.
Right. If mail theft concerns you, instead of delivering to a PO Box, simply stop mail delivery of your statements and get them online. Not just broker, all commercial dealings.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Right. If mail theft concerns you, instead of delivering to a PO Box, simply stop mail delivery of your statements and get them online. Not just broker, all commercial dealings.
I've always been concerned about mail theft, and switched to getting all financial statements online over a decade ago.

The last little bit was the tax forms. Brokerages finally made it possible for those to be available electronically only. I just hated having those forms sent in the mail.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, we froze our accounts recently. If we have to buy anything on credit, we will open the one needed.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote