Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Credit Score and Sources
Old 05-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Credit Score and Sources

CNBC posted an article about credit scores, which I guess everyone here knows about.

The credit cards I use provide FICO scores, each from a different source: Discover (TransUnion), AmEx (Experian) and VISA (Equifax).

Quicken Premier also offers a score but from VantageScore, of which I’d never heard.

According to the article, FICO and VantageScore differ in their scoring criteria (link follows quote):

Quote:
FICO Score Factors:
Most influential: Payment history on loans and credit cards
Highly influential: Total debt and amounts owed
Moderately influential: Length of credit history
Less influential: New credit and credit mix (the types of accounts you have)

VantageScore Factors:
Most influential: Payment history
Highly influential: Age and type of credit, percent of credit limit used
Moderately influential: Total balances and debt
Less influential: Recent credit behavior and inquiries, available credit
Source: Experian
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/10/thos...nders-use.html

[ADDED] This may help explain why my VantageScore is typically below my FICO scores: no debt influences the credit type/mix.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #2

Sorry, it I think credit scores are BS. DW and I have been married since our early 20’s. For almost 40 years, we NEVER had a late payment. Except for now and a short time after college, we both have worked. We never carried credit card debt. IMHO, perfect credit risk. Yet, my score remains below 800. No big deal because we don’t see a need to borrow in the future and any score in the high 700’s is going to get you the best rates on a loan, but I just can’t see why we’re not viewed as a perfect score. I get that they have a formula, but I don’t think it reflects a LBYM, debt adverse couple accurately. So, while I know mine because I check my credit report often for identity theft detection, I personally don’t care what my score is and think their formula is flawed.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Sorry, it I think credit scores are BS.

personally don’t care what my score is
+1
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I check mine on Credit Karma on occasion. I don't obsess about it as we're over 800 and have no plans to borrow.

Quote:
We never carried credit card debt. IMHO, perfect credit risk. Yet, my score remains below 800. No big deal because we don’t see a need to borrow in the future and any score in the high 700’s is going to get you the best rates on a loan, but I just can’t see why we’re not viewed as a perfect score.
Jerry 1, the Credit community WANTS you to carry credit debt. Apparently your score is rewarded, provided you don't care too much debt. We took out a small mortgage when we downsized and our score shot up soon after. We're the kind of customer the card companies hate - we pay our balance off every month. Convoluted thinking, I know, but that's how it works. Sad...

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #5

Credit scores factor in how well you use credit. So, yes, someone with no loans and few cards - even if paid perfectly - is going to "score" lower than someone with more loans/cards who also pays perfectly.

The credit community doesn't so much want you to carry debt, but they want you show you can manage more than just one thing. My score indicators are tacked down a bit as I have no mortgage history showing in the past decade.

IOW, if you are a juggler who only uses one ball but never drops it - meh that doesn't mean you're a good juggler. Now, you keep 10 balls in the air and never drop, that's impressive!

As far as monitoring, Amex and CapitalOne have free services. I also use Credit Karma as they will give me weekly updates, pull two reports, and notify me of changes. All free.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
IOW, if you are a juggler who only uses one ball but never drops it - meh that doesn't mean you're a good juggler. Now, you keep 10 balls in the air and never drop, that's impressive!

I never heard that analogy before but I like it.

There are plenty of old timers/frequent posters who’ve already crossed the retirement threshold and hopefully don’t care a bit about their score. Others who are younger and still working towards ER might care a lot and unfortunately the scoring system, flawed as it is, is in place.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #7

Like others, my score is consistently over 800 but not that perfect number. One of the free Score sites mentioned that my score could be higher but I have no recent installment debt. The only loan I'll ever take would be for a car or maybe appliances that offer 0% financing. My score qualifies me for that, so who cares if it's not that apparently-elusive perfect score.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Sorry, it I think credit scores are BS. DW and I have been married since our early 20’s. For almost 40 years, we NEVER had a late payment. Except for now and a short time after college, we both have worked. We never carried credit card debt. IMHO, perfect credit risk. Yet, my score remains below 800. No big deal because we don’t see a need to borrow in the future and any score in the high 700’s is going to get you the best rates on a loan, but I just can’t see why we’re not viewed as a perfect score. I get that they have a formula, but I don’t think it reflects a LBYM, debt adverse couple accurately. So, while I know mine because I check my credit report often for identity theft detection, I personally don’t care what my score is and think their formula is flawed.
totally BS. Between me DF and DW we are all around the same 810 - 815 range...and all of our credit profile's are completely different lol.

Usage, history all of that. But hey, at least we aren't in the 500s like I was in my 20s
Old 05-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FICO scores may be BS, but it's what so many financial and insurance institutions use to establish rates. And they're with us forever. A fallacy is when my wife has a 830 score and gets credit card offers virtually every day--and she has been unemployed since 2000.

But don't forget that Lexus Nexus also is a reporting agency guided by the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Their database is on Loss Reporting on automobiles and homeowners claims and violations on Personal Driving Records. Whenever you apply for any insurance policy, they check both Lexus/Nexus report and the Big 3 Credit bureaus. If you have blemishes on those records, your insurance companies are going to either turn you down or accept you with exceptionally high rates. And very often, Lexus Nexus has inaccurate entries on their report--that can be rebutted/corrected upon request. I just got through checking my Lexus Nexus report.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

But don't forget that Lexus Nexus also is a reporting agency guided by the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Their database is on Loss Reporting on automobiles and homeowners claims and violations on Personal Driving Records. Whenever you apply for any insurance policy, they check both Lexus/Nexus report and the Big 3 Credit bureaus. If you have blemishes on those records, your insurance companies are going to either turn you down or accept you with exceptionally high rates. And very often, Lexus Nexus has inaccurate entries on their report--that can be rebutted/corrected upon request. I just got through checking my Lexus Nexus report.
Thanks for the nudge. Just filled out my request: https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...disclosure.jsp

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry, it I think credit scores are BS. .
+2

Credit scoring is worse than BS in my opinion...it is a scam. It's just a way for the credit bureaus to generate more income from the massive data files they have amassed and protect poorly.

Credit and payment history is legit but once you start putting a generic "score" on it, you have a meaningless number. Our scores were mediocre for decades despite no late payments and just recently we have hit 850 at a couple places. Even when our scores were low 700's no one ever suggested that we could get a better rate if our scores were higher. If your scores are not terrible, it's all the same.

I track 6 different credit scores that are provided for free by various financial institutions. They use the 3 main bureaus but the formulae are varied:Fico Score 8, Fico Score 9, Vantage 3.0, and one provider does not specify. The scores generally run in two tracks that are ~40 points apart!

If you consider credit scoring as a means to assess ability to pay, you know payment history but info on income and assets is not contained in a credit score. How can you judge ability to pay with 1/3 of the data?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #12

I stopped using credit cards. I think like Dave Ramsey. Why play with these people. I threw my credit cards in a drawer. I use them once a year for the credit score. The score is good. I think this whole credit score stuff is a scam. I would love to close all the credit cards but then would be punished by the insurance company and a possible job offer. 30 years ago your insurance company did not care if you did not have a credit card. Like Dave Ramsey says he can buy the apartment complex but they won't rent him an apartment because he does not have a credit score. Just dumb stuff.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I check Credit Karma once a week and it also provides notices of anything unusual.
My FICO score is always lower than my Vantage score.
As a former renter, I did care more about credit scores in the recent past.
Still like that the scores are over 800.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFJESUS View Post
I stopped using credit cards. I think like Dave Ramsey. Why play with these people. I threw my credit cards in a drawer. I use them once a year for the credit score. The score is good. I think this whole credit score stuff is a scam. I would love to close all the credit cards but then would be punished by the insurance company and a possible job offer. 30 years ago your insurance company did not care if you did not have a credit card.
If one pays off their credit debt monthly, one can score some cash rewards/travel points by using credit cards.
Might give me 3-4k by the end of the year for the minimal work of choosing certain cards for certain expenses.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
If one pays off their credit debt monthly, one can score some cash rewards/travel points by using credit cards.
Might give me 3-4k by the end of the year for the minimal work of choosing certain cards for certain expenses.
What you are saying is true and I use to do that. I did some deep thinking one day. That money has to come out of someone else's pocket. It's not really coming from the credit card company. It just was not something I wanted to be a part of. That is why Dave Ramsey calls the credit card companies snakes.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Sorry, it I think credit scores are BS.
I agree.

A couple of credit cards and the credit union where we do most of our banking offer to show credit scores and I look at them once in a while, but I don't care much about the exact number. For example, a few months ago I finally succumbed and applied for an Amazon cc and predictably the score dropped a bit, and I expect it will creep back up as I prove (again?) that I can pay my bills.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Score... 796, down from 812.

32 years... no missed, no late payments, always paid 100%

What's hurting? Don't have enough credit cards.

Duh?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
What you are saying is true and I use to do that. I did some deep thinking one day. That money has to come out of someone else's pocket. It's not really coming from the credit card company. It just was not something I wanted to be a part of. That is why Dave Ramsey calls the credit card companies snakes.
Lots of things are like that, welfare , SS , Medicare, etc.

Sure you pay into SS and Medicare, but if you live, you collect far more than you paid into it.
I bet even Dave Ramsey will accept SS and Medicare.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I stopped using credit cards. I think like Dave Ramsey. Why play with these people. I threw my credit cards in a drawer. I use them once a year for the credit score. The score is good. I think this whole credit score stuff is a scam. I would love to close all the credit cards but then would be punished by the insurance company and a possible job offer. 30 years ago your insurance company did not care if you did not have a credit card. Like Dave Ramsey says he can buy the apartment complex but they won't rent him an apartment because he does not have a credit score. Just dumb stuff.
My wife and I do the same. Although not retired yet, we have one CC that we use for company travel. If the company is paying, we might as well get the points since the risk if a corporate card not being paid is still on you.

I stopped playing with snakes cause eventually when you aren't paying attention you will get bitten.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Credit Score and Sources

I think that credit cards (a different topic than credit scores) are very useful tools if used responsibly, in particular never carrying a balance which is easy to do with auto-pay on or before the due date.