Join Early Retirement Today

Credit score recovery after Bankruptcy
Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Credit score recovery after Bankruptcy

This article is about the unsurprising increase in personal bankruptcies.

R.O.I. - WSJ.com

One thing that really caught my eye is at the end of the article:

Quote:
Of course filing for bankruptcy is going to hurt your credit score and could make it harder for you to get a loan in the future. But the effect may not be as bad as you think. Most people who end up filing for bankruptcy already have poor credit scores. And bankruptcy, by wiping out debts, can actually help rebuild them. "Most people can rebuild their scores within one or two years," says Jeff Tromberg, a bankruptcy attorney in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "It's actually quite common for somebody who files a chapter seven bankruptcy to rebuild their credit scores back up to the high 600s (a reasonable rating), if not higher, within two years."
Is this just another symptom of the easy credit days that is going to change? I sure hope so because the idea that somebody could get back on the credit drug so soon after filing BK is disconcerting to me.

I'm not advocating debtors prisons or anything like that, and I'm sympathetic to those who truly fall on hard times not caused by personal irresponsibility; most often a big medical problem and the resultant bills. But there really needs to be a significant penalty for those who just flat out abuse credit for "wants" that they can't afford. A good 7-10 years of living only on what they bring in should be in order.

I could even see making some distinctions in what brought about the BK. If it was just running up consumer debt then throw the book at them. If it was some other circumstances like health, family hardships, job loss, etc., then give them a much earlier chance at rehabilitating their credit standing.

Of course making those distinctions would be easier said than done in reality. Like when a huge medical bill is just the straw that broke the camel's back after they already had a bunch of consumer debt. Judgments would need to be made and we know how that can go wrong.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Prepare for most frustration. IMHO, it's likely that Congress will make bankruptcy easier and less painful in the future.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

When I saw this thread I wondered if someone in this august company had declared bk. I shouldn't have worried. It was only the usual complaining about the unsaved getting away with murder.
What a relief!

Ha
Old 10-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, as my old grandfather used to say..."You can't take it with you but you want to make the finance company think you did."

You can guess what his credit history was like and what it would have been in the current easy credit days. Of course, he never seemed to worry about anything and always seemed to be enjoying life. He died from pneumonia just about broke at 65.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
When I saw this thread I wondered if someone in this august company had declared bk. I shouldn't have worried. It was only the usual complaining about the unsaved getting away with murder.
What a relief!

Ha
I'm not really sure what your point is. Partly I was just wondering if this was really somewhat outdated advice since this kind of quick recovery to a decent credit rating after BK was just part of the whole easy credit bubble era. And yes, I have a problem with the moral hazard of discharging debts for irresponsible (and yes, greedy) people.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #6

ok, this is where I am obliged to post that FICO and credit scoring in general is just a scam anyway.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
And yes, I have a problem with the moral hazard of discharging debts for irresponsible (and yes, greedy) people.
Gosh, I had missed that part!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
ok, this is where I am obliged to post that FICO and credit scoring in general is just a scam anyway.
It's just as worthwhile as bond rating agencies. The real deadbeats are obvious. The risk is their missing the disaster waiting to happen which they do all the time.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Gosh, I had missed that part!
Why so snarky? Sorry to bother you.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Gardnr, ha is working hard to earn his Official Curmudgeon Certificate. Your cooperation in helping him reach his goal would be greatly appreciated.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Gardnr, ha is working hard to earn his Official Curmudgeon Certificate. Your cooperation in helping him reach his goal would be greatly appreciated.
LOL! OK, I'll try!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'll nominate him,he seems sufficiently schooled in that regard.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote