Join Early Retirement Today

Credit union safety question
Old 09-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Credit union safety question

I do not know how to check the safety of a bank or credit union. I would like to know the financial condition of the Houston Police Federal Credit Union. Specifically, should one be concerned if one has uninsured funds there?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #2

Bauer Financial gives it the highest five star rating and Bankrate.com give this one four stars out of five, which would at least seem to make it one of the more secure institutions out there.

And as for the second question, there's *always* a concern, even if a small one, about having uninsured funds somewhere. It looks like the concern is minimal with this one, but still not zero.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Ziggy!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here is a site to look at the Safe and Sound Ratings of Banks AND Credit Unions: Bankrate.com -- Safe & Sound (tm): Bankrate's free rating system for banks, thrifts, credit unions

Most will show a link to their latest financial reports on their respective sites.

Personally I would stick with large CU that do not have sub-prime exposure. One that seems to have none is PENFED (anyone can join max cost to join, if not otherwise eligible is $20).
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I am not personally eager to have significant uninsured funds at any institution, a look at this institution's most recent financial report suggests that they are quite robustly capitalized and appear to have a reasonably high quality loan portfolio without any obvious problems. I don't see obvious problems and they appear to have a lot of margin for error based on their balance sheet.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #6

I missed the "uninsured funds" part of OP. Frankly, that is pretty risky, and IMHO usually unnecessary. Why would you want to do that?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
I do not know how to check the safety of a bank or credit union. I would like to know the financial condition of the Houston Police Federal Credit Union. Specifically, should one be concerned if one has uninsured funds there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
While I am not personally eager to have significant uninsured funds at any institution, a look at this institution's most recent financial report suggests that they are quite robustly capitalized and appear to have a reasonably high quality loan portfolio without any obvious problems. I don't see obvious problems and they appear to have a lot of margin for error based on their balance sheet.
Considering that most of the clientele have concealed-carry licenses in a state where "Your Honor, he needed killin' " is a judicial defense for 2nd-degree homicide, I'd say that the credit union has darn little margin for error...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Dang, ya beat me to it Nords...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #9

Houston Police Federal Credit Union shows on their website that they are federally insured through NCUA. You can check that out at National Credit Union Administration - Home Page
Old 09-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dang, ya beat me to it Nords...
Only because REW must be napping or otherwise occupied.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I was busy smoking a brisket, rack of st louis style ribs, some pineapple sausage and some hand made hotdogs, along with my wifes favorite cole slaw...shredded broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and red and white cabbage.

And yes, its a bitch to keep them lit when you're smoking them. Lousy draw too.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Only because REW must be napping or otherwise occupied.
Sorry, I've been busy trying to get this TARP tied down.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
I looked at the financial report a few weeks ago and was satisfied. But, uninsured is uninsured, and recent history shows us that things change quickly. My accounts there are less than the insured amount and I don't have any plans to change that.

You can read the statements of financial condition here at this link http://www.ibanknet.com/scripts/call...bnid=usa_60170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Considering that most of the clientele have concealed-carry licenses in a state where "Your Honor, he needed killin' " is a judicial defense for 2nd-degree homicide, I'd say that the credit union has darn little margin for error...
Yeah, but even there stuff happens. Somebody walked off with about 100 grand out of the vault one weekend within the last year or so. As far as I know they still haven't figured out who had sticky fingers.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sorry, I've been busy trying to get this TARP tied down.
Why a TARP? Don't we usually need something called "RAIN" before we need a TARP?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Somebody walked off with about 100 grand out of the vault one weekend within the last year or so. As far as I know they still haven't figured out who had sticky fingers.
Were they insured/bonded to cover it?

$100k would not really make a dent in their earnings, let alone capital.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Why a TARP? Don't we usually need something called "RAIN" before we need a TARP?
Not when we've in the middle of a $h!t$torm...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Were they insured/bonded to cover it?

$100k would not really make a dent in their earnings, let alone capital.
I'm sure they were insured. I brought them 2.3 Million in seized cash one day and the chief of cash ops was waiting to hear the total so she could call in and get extra insurance because it was too late in the day to order a pickup from the Fed. Being ignorant of banking I thought the vault itself was insurance, but she told me that every dime on the premises is insured.