Join Early Retirement Today

curious Vanguard item
Old 04-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

curious Vanguard item

How about this?

The expense ratio for my Vanguard Prime Money Market Account, VMMXX, (which I MUST use) is 0.16%.

The expense ratio for my Vanguard Small Cap Value Admiral Fund, VSIAX, is 0.09%, as is their ETF, VBR.

Does this make sense?

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
How about this?

The expense ratio for my Vanguard Prime Money Market Account, VMMXX, (which I MUST use) is 0.16%.

The expense ratio for my Vanguard Small Cap Value Admiral Fund, VSIAX, is 0.09%, as is their ETF, VBR.

Does this make sense?
Thanks for reminding me I have funds in that MM account I need to move out somewhere.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:12 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Same here...although it is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Does this make sense?
Even worse, when one subtracts the expense ratios from the paltry returns, one is likely losing money, not to mention inflation. Right or wrong, for these reasons, I just can't store emergency cash in money markets and have elected to put it in the riskier but highly-diversified Vanguard Target Retirement Income Fund. YMMV.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does this make sense?
It might.

The fixed income market isn't as efficient as the stock market. You can set up bots to buy and sell equities for an index. To buy and sell commercial paper (for the money market funds) you likely need to have a trader working the phones. Vanguard actually has purchase fees on some of its fixed income bond funds to compensate for this.

In the CP market you also have to contend with constant maturities of your underlying assets versus owning equities that never mature. You also have to manage daily deposits and withdrawals that are far higher for a cash-like fund than for an investment fund.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Even worse, when one subtracts the expense ratios from the paltry returns, one is likely losing money...
Published returns are after expenses (but obviously not inflation).

Many of us keep our emergency cash in an online savings account paying 0.9% to 1.2% rather than in MM funds which yield less.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
How about this?

Does this make sense?
They'll fix that for you when you get converted and MUST use the Federal Money Market fund. Of course, that's at 0.11%, so you are still 0.03% off your target.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think it makes plenty of sense. It's expenses.

A MM fund has a high amount of turnover and transactions. It has to only own things that are near cash and have maturities of less than 90 days. The average maturity is probably closer to 55 days. That means 600% turnover in a year.

Contrast that with an index fund that may have less than 10% turnover in a year.

Also, look at total assets under management,
VMMXX ~ $140 Billion
Small-cap value index ~ $16 Billion

So that's quite a few billions of turnover every year for VMMXX.

And don't forget check-writing and all those other transactions. Indeed, for every transaction in something like an index stock fund at Vanguard, there is probably at least a half transaction on average in the money market fund because folks tend to funnel money through the money market fund going from and to the stock index funds.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
And don't forget check-writing
Wow, I totally did forget about checks. That's still a thing?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Wow, I totally did forget about checks. That's still a thing?
Yes; my 88 year old grandmother still sends me a $5 check for my birthday every year.