Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno1 View Post
I recall someone indicating to report back anything positive I find from my banker upon my CD expiring. Well, it expires next month and a couple weeks ago I wrote to the lady at the bank (via email) that I'd like to continue the CD at the same 5.210 interest rate for another year.
She responded a few days later with: When it matures I will ask our CEO or
CFO if we can keep the same rate and conditions<smile>. I will do my best!!
I will be contacting you on 12th. Have a great weekend. The weather is
supposed to be beautiful. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Whether this is a positive sign, remains to be! But I thought I'd report back.

TheRetirementWebsite.com - http://thinktowealth.com/
I have a CD in a bank that was taken over by the FDIC. So far, I've missed one interest payment and don't have any idea where the CD stands. Things could be worse!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Here's a gift for you all.....

Bank or Credit Union Star Ratings

Thank You!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

2B - VERY SCARY about your CD. This has me wondering . . . could it be a reflection of the current goings-on with the situation that our banking system is going through? Not to sound paranoid, but this should be looked into. If you missed a payment for that CD, you definitely absolutely should contact your manager for that specific CD...and anything due you (being late), ought to have MORE interest added. Be proactive! Thanks for that link btw REC7.

http://www.thinktowealth.com - TheRetirementWebsite.com
Old 09-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #44

Here is another rating agency for Banks and Credit Unions (Safe and Sound): Bankrate.com -- Safe & Sound (tm): Bankrate's free rating system for banks, thrifts, credit unions

But, remember, no matter what the rating there is no guarantee by either of the rating agencies, it is still Buyer Beware (or, in this case your are the LENDER).
Old 09-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno1 View Post
2B - VERY SCARY about your CD. This has me wondering . . . could it be a reflection of the current goings-on with the situation that our banking system is going through? Not to sound paranoid, but this should be looked into. If you missed a payment for that CD, you definitely absolutely should contact your manager for that specific CD...and anything due you (being late), ought to have MORE interest added. Be proactive!
I've contacted ETrade. It's a brokered CD so it has the additional issue of going through an extra level of paperwork. Their response is that it takes about a month for these things to sort out and the money will show up in my account.