Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Pre-Retirement Salary Do You Live On?
100% + 17 17.53%
90%-99% 6 6.19%
80%-89% 6 6.19%
70%-79% 9 9.28%
60%-69% 13 13.40%
50%-59% 12 12.37%
Under 50% 34 35.05%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Current Income Vs. Retirement Income
Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Current Income Vs. Retirement Income

I see a lot of financial publications discuss living on 70%, 80%, 90%, even 100%+... of pre-retirement salary at retirement.

Just wondering what the folks here live on?

tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I seem to recall a poll of this subject somewhere in the past with results (no surprise) all over the board. Too many variables to be able to come up with any viable rule of thumb.

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Pre-retirement (2004) ~$75K.
Pension (2005) ~$20k
Pension (2008) ~$30K
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
My guess is that most folks around here don't look at retirement income as a percent of earnings, but rather look at it in terms of expenses.

Earnings while you are employed are reduced by retirement savings and other influences that make it an uncertain metric for retirement planning. Expenses. OTOH, reflect your real-live costs and priorities.

I use my annual living expenses, and figure that these will remain roughly the same in retirement. Work-related expenses drop, but leisure and health expenses increase.
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by tgotch View Post
I see a lot of financial publications discuss living on 70%, 80%, 90%, even 100%+... of pre-retirement salary at retirement.
Just wondering what the folks here live on?
Well, it's not on the advice of financial publications of that ilk.

The "ER spending curve" is two humps with very fat tails. It's not a log-normal curve by any stretch of the imagination and it defies statistical analysis... the "sound-bite journalists" hate that.

One spending hump is around $24K/year (the Kaderli perpetual-traveler lifestyle) and the second hump is around $48K/year. However there's a huge schmear of spending from $20K-$100K and quite a few outliers.

If you want more data, search the polls or start one of your own.

Or you could track your current expenses, decide what ER spending is important to you, and save at least 25x times that amount before you ER... or take the "Work Less, Live More" approach of earning some income during ER.

Your number will probably be somewhere between 5-250%.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Gross? Take home? Usual questions.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
I answered 70-79%. The question I was answering was how much less are our post-retirement living expenses compared to our pre-retirement living expenses. I don't use (or believe in) the 80% of income rule, since we never spent all our income in the first place. We were saving 50% of our income for the last several years, and living on the other 50%. We now spend about 73% of that 50%. But, we do not have to pay for health insurance. If we did, we'd probably have to spend 30% more than we do now.
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
My net pension, after health insurance premiums and taxes, is 88.5% of my pre-retirement net pay. I didn't spend all of my pre-retirement wages, and I don't spend all of my post-retirement pension.....I invested 'pre' and I still invest 'post'. My spending is pretty much the same today, as it was before I pulled the plug.

I also got a 3% raise on my pension this year (cola) former co-workers got a 2% raise this year. I'm lovin' this ER gig!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accounting for differences in assets
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
Accounting for differences in assets

expenses pre and post retirement were similar at about 25% of pre retirement income. More would be more comfortable and provide more options but is not necessary.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
Currently living on about 35% of gross. Planning on a higher dollar amount (in present day dollars) on retirement. Gross is also rather variable so if I pick up side work or if bonuses are good at work this year then it could be closer to 28% of gross.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Currently our gross income is spent as follows:
39% living expenses, 35% savings, 26% taxes.

The living expenses part is subdivided as follows:
38% discretionary expenses and 62% mandatory expenses.

The mandatory expenses include $15K in expenses that will disappear in retirement (mortgage payment and disability insurance). Those $15K will be used instead to pay for healthcare. We also expect to pay a lot less taxes than we are currently paying.

So right now we are shooting for a gross retirement income equal to about 40% of our current gross income. BUT, since we are still about 10 years from retirement, and since our income has so far increased much faster than our expenses (and we expect the trend to continue), by the time we retire we suspect that our retirement income will represent an even lower percentage of gross income.
42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
Gross income was a bit over $100K, but our living expenses were only about one third of the gross. That number included a mortgage that we don't have now that we are retired. So, our living expenses in retirement are less than 20% of pre-retirement gross.
zoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:39 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I did not vote because the poll sounded as if it was targeted at people that are FIRED. I am still working.

However, we plan to have 100% of my pre-retirement income. DW has stopped working. If we considered her income, it would be about 60%.

Today (with our mortgage) we spend about 70% of my gross income... the rest is saved. When we pay off the mortgage, which will happen before I stop working , our expenditures will be about 55% of my income.

So we are over shooting our need on planned income when we ER. We know we will spend more than our current expenditures due to travel.

I suspect that the net result (over the entire retirement) is that we will have a withdrawal rate of less than 4%. Because my target portfolio is 25x income (at year of retirement) at ER... or there about.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
I voted less than 50%, because our anticipated living expenses, except for tax on the income, are much less than 50%. I should say that I am not cutting back dramatically to achieve that, but some air travel will have to go (ready to cut that out anyway).

I am trying to engineer a FIRE plan that allows me to live off the dividends and interest of a 60/35/5 AA or a 65/30/5 AA...we'll see where it goes. That should be about 3.1-3.3% WR, so I have calculated tax percentages based on those AAs and by running turbotax on-line with the anticipated figures. Grossing up for tax, I still will have expenses significantly less than 50% of current gross income. All of this said, gross income increased dramatically in 2007, which is one reason a nearer term FIRE is becoming possible.

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #15
I checked 70-79% because that was the gross. The net pay went up when I retired because I was maxed out on deferred compensation and now I'm not paying into SS or the retirement plan. After we paid off the old house we were saving about 45% of our gross income.

I have noticed that there are a lot more opportunities to spend in retirement since there is so much more free time.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
I am not retired yet, because I am waiting another 18 months for lifetime medical.

However, at a 4% SWR my income in retirement will be more than my present salary. So, I went ahead and voted ">100%". Hope that is OK.

Waiting, one day at a time.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
I expect my total post-retirement budget won't change, although there will be more fluff than there is now.

For example, the line item for income taxes will decrease significantly, but I will increase my travel and entertainment budget by that same amount.

If I need to cut back I will. Otherwise it will be less work and more play.
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
I have several years to go before ER, but I've already done retirement expense projections based on current expenses I expect to have in retirement with an average 3% rate of inflation added in. I anticipate that the money we will be saving during the accumulation phase will suddenly become the "travel/fun money" during retirement. Therefore, we're shooting for 100% of pre-ER income from pensions + SS + initial 3.5% SWR from savings. All subject to adjustments of course based on actual circumstances when the time arrives.
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means." Calvin Coolidge
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #19
I voted 70 to 79%. That would be gross. Take home I'm over 100% due to savings and SS/MC I no longer have to pay out.
“I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” Alan Greenspan
Bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
I am at about 50% - I am spending more than before jumping because of health insurance, no company car w/ paid insurance and GAS. We are travelling more, braces for the kids - more eating out, groceries(no cutting back on good eats!) and also many home improvement projects - I am definately spending more than I had expected - but, still w/in tolerances and if need be we can cut back easily.

Freed at 49. You only live once - live it
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote