Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They have been predicting a correction for about six months or so.

I'm wondering if the past few months of flat movement has been that correction but instead of massive drops has just been a slow-motion drip-drip-drop of a correction.

Just musing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
They have been predicting a correction for about six months or so.

I'm wondering if the past few months of flat movement has been that correction but instead of massive drops has just been a slow-motion drip-drip-drop of a correction.

Just musing.
So many people don't understand that time passing in the market without "average" gains happening is in fact a real loss relative to the "mean". I'm glad you pointed that out.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
So many people don't understand that time passing in the market without "average" gains happening is in fact a real loss relative to the "mean". I'm glad you pointed that out.
Of all bad things that can happen that is actually one of the toughest ones to handle.

It stocks go up to a high valuation and then level off for a few years .. no potential for rebalancing .. poor returns for a few years .. no opportunity to get in for cheap ..
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #64
gone traveling

Just bought 2000 shares of VXUS.

That is my thought ..... better than rotting cash.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Of all bad things that can happen that is actually one of the toughest ones to handle.

It stocks go up to a high valuation and then level off for a few years .. no potential for rebalancing .. poor returns for a few years .. no opportunity to get in for cheap ..
This is the time you write covered calls against your positions to gain 3x the typical dividend payments.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote