Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cutting mortgage principal could ease crisis
Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cutting mortgage principal could ease crisis

No Sht.

Dear mortgage company,

Please cut my mortgage principal to zero. Awesome. Thanks. I'll call you in a few years when I'm ready for a bigger home.

Fed chief: Cutting mortgage principal could ease crisis - USATODAY.com

Are you kidding me?
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What the HELL is Ben smoking? Give money away faster as long as it isn't yours.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #3

How would a person qualify? I have a mortgage, and would like to see the amount I owe reduced.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

From the link:

On the idea of cutting mortgage values, Bernanke said, "Principal reductions that restore some equity for the homeowner may be a relatively more effective means of avoiding delinquency and foreclosure. "

With low or negative equity in their home, a stressed borrower has less ability — because there is no home equity to tap — and less financial incentive to try to remain in the home, he said.

Isn't "tapping" home equity one of the things that got these people into trouble in the first place? Sheesh...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its finally true. We're suckers for avoiding unnecessary risk and making financially prudent decisions.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #6

Yeah, I want a piece of this ... how long do I need to not pay my mortgage?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sign me up. I can probably skip a couple payments and default on a few credit cards if necessary.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #8

Yay! They're going to be giving away free money!

From the bank's perspective it might be a wise business decision. If they made a bad loan and the borrower is upside down on it, the bank might cut their losses by writing off some of the loan instead of eating the expenses of foreclosing and selling the property.

But still, it irritates the hell out of me. Why did I bother to live within my means?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Why did I bother to live within my means?
Because, along with me, you're a patsy. Welcome to the club!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Fark. Its too much trouble. I'd have to go get a dang mortgage first.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yay! They're going to be giving away free money!

From the bank's perspective it might be a wise business decision. If they made a bad loan and the borrower is upside down on it, the bank might cut their losses by writing off some of the loan instead of eating the expenses of foreclosing and selling the property.

But still, it irritates the hell out of me. Why did I bother to live within my means?
what do the MBS trust contracts say about this?
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
What the HELL is Ben smoking? Give money away faster as long as it isn't yours.
I think Ben has realized that this a lot more convenient than pitchforking bales of cash out of helicopters.

This reminds me of a Jim Carrey character on "In Living Color": "Ah'm followin' his plan to win the lottery and retire, and Ah'm already halfway thayuh-- Ah just quit mah job!!"

I'm gonna go out and get TWO mortgages...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #13

My2 cents have been sent to the Feds at Federal Reserve Board: Contact Us

Mr Bernanke is quoted as suggesting lenders forgive/reduce principal on mortgages. This is totally without merit. Should the lenders do that, it only shifts the burden to intelligent taxpayers who save and invest. Why should we be penalized once again for doing the right things. Why should those who overextend themselves be given free money? This does not stabalize the economy in the long term at all.
When do we stop encouraging bad behavior of the individual? A stable economy will not be gotten without pain. Why should the pain be on those who have done the right things?
As a recent retiree I know a bit about the markets. Every time my portfolio drops 100K I lose 4K a year in purchasing. Why should I have to bear that loss and pay taxes on bailouts for fiscally irresponsible individuals as well as the lending industries loose policies. Where are/were the controls for this fiasco which the government condones?
Please STOP giving debt from irresponsible individuals to me as a tax payer!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #14

Can we just call the mortgage co and ask them to reduce the interest BF's interest is at 5% I think. Can he get it lowered??
Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yes, yes, the world isn't fair because you aren't in danger of foreclosure. What an injustice!

Really, this is about pragmatism. Imagine you are a bank holding a mortgage that is now at 120% LTV. Your borrower gets a couple months late on t heir paments, but they live in the house and want to stay there. You could choose one of two paths:

1) Spend months and thousands of dollars foreclosing, wind up with a trashed house that sits empty for more months, helps depress prices of nearby homes (some of which you hold the mortgage on), and finally sell the house for maybe half of what you were owed (if you are lucky). During all that time, you get no interest on the loan.

2) Contact the borrower, make sure they want to stay in the house and are willing to keep paying, and cut them a deal. Maybe you reduce the loan amount by 25% and lower the interest rate by 2%.

Which one does less damage to the bank?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #16

if the bank holds those mortgages, they will have to write down the value of them and may have to raise capital to be within FDIC regulations and have to pay more interest on the money to attract it
Old 03-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Many people who HAVE the ability to repay are upside down and are simply walking away from their mortgages.

So you cut the principal 25% on an upside down mortgage and give them an equity position.Unless we bottom out in the near future,it's can be a matter of months and they're flat to upside down all over again.

Back to square one.......
liveitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #18

and if you do cut the principal, what does it do for appraised values? do you continue to accept appraisals for the area that are higher than the new principal?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
if the bank holds those mortgages, they will have to write down the value of them and may have to raise capital to be within FDIC regulations and have to pay more interest on the money to attract it
Do you have any idea of how bank regulatory capital works? Or do you just repeat what you think you heard on CNBC?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

If you cut the principal, do you still pass along a poor credit report to the various agencies? Say, report that the borrower caused X amount of bad debt to the bank.......

If in five or ten years real estate has reversed and the home is now nicely valued ref the original mortgage principal amount, would the borrower owe some or all of that to the bank or would it simply result in extra profit to the borrower when he sells?

Tags
mortgage