Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cutting your expenses/trimming your costs
Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is interesting. I love to cut grass. Could do it all day. Very enjoyable passtime for me.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

The key is don't listen to the experts and shovel on the fertilizer at the first sign of spring.

All that does is force lush growth that needs cutting a couple of times a week.

Lay off and put down an ultra slow release formula. Then spot spray for weeds and enjoy the summer. :
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Cut-Throat,

I think that is a great idea but the hill is really steep. It is a liability issue. There is a 1/2 pond at the bottom of the hill. The previous owner rolled his mower twice into the pond and the second time he was trapped under his mower until help arrived.

This is definately not the home we are going to retire in. Way to big and too much upkeep. However, I have seen the light. Smaller home, less yard = more time for fun

LovesLife
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After reading how most of you hate lawn mowing I have come to the conclusion that I am an inconsiderate wife. *Here I sit reading the web while my husband attends to our 2 acre yard. *He hates to mow and our yard has a steep hill. * However, I fell "in love" with the place with its pretty gardens and yard while he is the one who takes care of it all. *I should have listened when he told me so. *Now I feel really guilty (but not enough to go help).
My sons ex-wife felt the same way.

Mikey
Old 04-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think that is a great idea but the hill is really steep. *It is a liability issue.
Confucius say dead husband easier to replace than money paid to satisfy tort judgment!

Mikey
Old 04-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Mikey,

Ooooh, that suggests a hidden agenda. Not true. Husband still adores me so I am one lucky wife. However, I still remain guilty of being spoiled. Love has its price so I pay in "other ways"

LovesLife
Old 04-29-2005, 04:59 AM   #27

I've been cutting grass for 30 years. I think John Galt and I have spent about the same on machines. I'm sad to say that 2 machines in inhereted. When I bought this house 20 years ago I inflated the selling price of the old house to pay for a new Wheel Horse with mower and plow. Its still in good shape but now FOR SALE

Inhereted a 1985 Gravely 8220 ? with deck and plow and a 2003 John Deere L130 with cruise control WOOHOO.

Sadly I've spent a fortune on weedwackers and leaf blowers that never work... my bad
Old 04-29-2005, 05:08 AM   #28

I enjoy mowing but hate yardwork otherwise.
Don't even own a weedtrimmer nor a leaf blower
(nor even a snow blower or plow). I mow whatever grows naturally and drive over the snow until it melts.
Honestly, the best mowers I have owned were bought
VERY used, It was mostly the new ones that gave me trouble.

JG
Old 04-29-2005, 05:15 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

We were an equal opportunity household growing up. My dad made me and my brother mow the lawn on alternate weekends. We also had a big hill. There was no sympathy from Dad. I am a year younger than my brother but was taller than he was until he sprouted in college.

Now, happily married and my husband insists on mowing the lawn, cleaning the gutters out, etc. How did I get so lucky!?!
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:24 AM   #30

Hey Janie! I mow the lawn, clean the gutters, keep
all vehicles, appliances, and yard equipment working,
wash dishes, do laundry, mop floors, sweep, do windows, vacuum, feed and water the dogs, put out the garbage, dust and etc etc. Yep, I'm a Prince. Did I mention that
my DW works. This is her day off. She is painting the living room right now.
I'm trying to stay out of her way

JG
Old 04-29-2005, 07:26 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Cut-Throat,

I think that is a great idea but the hill is really steep. It is a liability issue. There is a 1/2 pond at the bottom of the hill. The previous owner rolled his mower twice into the pond and the second time he was trapped under his mower until help arrived.

This is definately not the home we are going to retire in. Way to big and too much upkeep. However, I have seen the light. Smaller home, less yard = more time for fun

LovesLife
Hire the lawn service, not individuals, to do the lawn. Then ask to see their worker's compensation policy.

Or, put something other than grass on the hill. We terraced the from hill on our building to avoid steep mowing and I planted flowers:

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:43 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Me too. To combat it, I recommend having a nice beer on the back patio with a baby

Sorry...

So who's the baby? or is it, who is the fish?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:23 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Marth,

Gorgeous flowers. No wonder you are excited about Spring. Thanks for the advice on the lawn service.

LovesLife
Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband does the lawn service at our house. He cuts the grass, waters, trims the trees. I do the weeding. I told him "any time you get tired of all the manual labor, hire a lawn service." He said it is great physical activity and beats his desk job! Relaxing for him and keeps him fit.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have spring fever bad. *Snowed yesterday and a little today. *
Martha, my sympathies regarding the snow. We had a bit of a cold spell for a couple of days here, too, in South Central WI, but it's nice again today and spring has definitely been here the last couple of weeks.

We have a really small yard, but the woman who originally owned the house was a great gardener. She planted all sorts of native, hardy, pretty shrubs and flowers. However, I grew up in a city neighborhood where I didn't see much grass, trees, or plants, except my mom's potted plants, so I am still learning to garden.

We have a push mower that provides good exercise, and that comes cheap with annual/bi-annual cost of about $25 for sharpening the blades. I dream of putting in lots of plants and ground cover to minimize, if not totally eliminate, mowing someday.

Nice picture of your flowers, BTW.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy yard work and almost any other "mindless" (no offense intended to yard care professionals) labor. It is a welcome break from the paperwork and bureaucracy I face most of the time at work.

Beautiful yard, Martha!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, bad weather all around! It rained here in SD today, temperature dropped below 70 for a bit!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #38

Concerning lawn mowing, Pop used to say, "We have an arrangement, God waters it I cut it".
Old 05-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

PLEASE refrain from posting such large jpegs ... some of us use dial up ... yes you have a vute baby and Martha thinks he is cute too but you are killing the ability of some of us to use the site. How about you loser the resolution ?

As for me and lawn mowing, I least the acreage to my neighbor and his buffalo and llama do a fine job plus they fertilizee too!
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Sorry O'Rancher...I did cut that photo down to approximately 1/20th its original size.

If you'd like to smooth out the dial-up experience when encountering these problems, in internet explorer go to 'tools', then 'internet options', then 'advanced'...scroll down to 'multimedia' and check 'show download image placeholders" on and "show pictures" off.

This will show a box wherever a picture is, if you click on it, the photo will display. Otherwise you wont get any photos unless you ask for them.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote