Join Early Retirement Today

Cyprus govt to seize 6.75% of all bank accounts as of Sat morning
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cyprus govt to seize 6.75% of all bank accounts as of Sat morning

The government declares one Saturday morning (while the banks are closed, of course) that all bank accounts in the country will immediately be taxed on their balances 6.75% up to $100,000 and 9.9% above $100k. The banks are prohibited from letting account holders withdraw more than 93.25%/90.1% of their balances.

To me this sounds like hypothetical fear mongering on AM talk radio, but in fact is happening today in Cyprus (account limits are EUR not USD). Am I the only one scared by the precedent this sets?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/bu...banks.html?hpw

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

And there are other governments looking on to see if the Cypriot government can pull that one off. And the ER crowds may have to go back to their spread sheet to recalibrate if taxing assets on top of incomes becomes official policies.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

I've lived through worse than that. Twice, in fact (Venezuela). Nothing to do with the US, not even sure it has any impact on us.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

I might be scared if I had money in (say) a Greek bank, but then you'd have to be an idiot to have money in a Greek bank.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've lived through worse than that. Twice, in fact (Venezuela). Nothing to do with the US, not even sure it has any impact on us.
No, the US government will not act like the Cypriots, but taxing assets and wealth may not be totally out of the question in the future.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

Apparently about half the $$$ in these banks is sent from Russians, a substantial amount of that is from shady/illegal activities. My fear is that if this Eurozone country's move here doesn't cause political unrest and perhaps even violence, we could see this again in a larger EU nation. This may just be a small test run.

Cyprus can't print more money on its own like the US can. So they need a different source of funds for their bailouts.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
gone traveling

I don't think the US Gov would ever consider such a thing. When they need more money, they'll just print it and raise your income taxes.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

Cyprus - Wealth Tax

Cyprus Bank Deposits to Be Taxed in $13 Billion Bailout - Bloomberg

May be news to keep an eye on:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg One Time Wealth Tax.jpg (78.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #9

Yup, the gummint here can simply tax us with future inflation. Then it's not just the fat-cats, criminal element, or others "hiding" their assets in plain site who will be "taxed". It will be ALL of us. Anyone remember the mid 70s to mid 80s? A 6.75% "confiscation" was like about 9 months of just going about the j*b of Living in the USA. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #10

The US did face a crisis of banking insolvency 5 years ago, and we dealt with it differently. In our case it didn't involve taxes or losses for the depositors, just added liquidity in the financial markets, and as the Fed has supplied the financial sector with that, the economy has recovered. Perhaps overly simplistic, but we have already dealt successfully with a much more serious financial crisis.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Really wow. When you have time I'd be interested in hearing more.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #12

Getting into flat tax vs. progressive. Should be interesting to see how the retirees will view this. Especially ultra conservative average retirees.

Some in depth discussion of the subject from Sept 2011:

http://www.bcg.com/documents/file87307.pdf
Old 03-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Really wow. When you have time I'd be interested in hearing more.
Happy to talk about it, perhaps a different thread is called for. I'll work on it if you're interested.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
The US did face a crisis of banking insolvency 5 years ago, and we dealt with it differently. In our case it didn't involve taxes or losses for the depositors, just added liquidity in the financial markets, .
won't "adding liquidity" increase inflation dramatically in the future....which is a back-door tax on everyone, isn't it?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Meanwhile here in Oz, as of 31 May this year, any bank account that has not had a deposit or withdrawal into or from it in the previous 3 years will be taxed at 100% by the government. All banks will be required by law to deliver the money to the tax office.

Apparently you can apply to have it returned, but really.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie67 View Post
Meanwhile here in Oz, as of 31 May this year, any bank account that has not had a deposit or withdrawal into or from it in the previous 3 years will be taxed at 100% by the government. All banks will be required by law to deliver the money to the tax office.

Are you sure that this is a 'tax' That the person will never get the money back?

IOW, here after 5 years an account is deemed 'dormant' and the money is sent to the state. However, they hold it for you should you ever come forward.... so, not really a tax, but they get to use the money...
Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Nothing to do with the US, not even sure it has any impact on us.
I'm not so sure that any significant financial event anywhere in the world would not have any impact at all on the US. It will be one of these kinds of events that causes a cascading debt crisis that will effect the world economy. It might not be a devastating effect, necessarily, but as interconnected as the financial systems are now, I find it hard to believe that any event like this can be summarily dismissed.

--Dale--
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #18

RE unclaimed money.
You may want to go to this site, which has links to states that handle unclaimed monies. Free. Just enter your name.
3 years ago, I went to my birth state's site, and instantly found three very old, (1938 to 1945) small insurance policies that my parents had started for me. It was true, and these old "Gerber" policies had grown to $4756. I was able to apply to the company, over the phone, and upon answering a number of personal questions to validate identity, I received a check in that amount in four days.
Good Luck!

NAUPA
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #19

I believe sparkie67 is referring to a new regulation in Australia.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Are you sure that this is a 'tax' That the person will never get the money back?

IOW, here after 5 years an account is deemed 'dormant' and the money is sent to the state. However, they hold it for you should you ever come forward.... so, not really a tax, but they get to use the money...
It is the same in Oz. The article sparky linked to says that the definition of a dormant bank account has been shortened from 7 years to 3 years, and you can claim it back from the government just like before.

Quote:
The money can be reclaimed from ASIC but the process can take months.
The previous legislation allowed for bank accounts to remain inactive for up to 7 years before the money was transferred to ASIC.