Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
What choice do passive investors have?
Total stock market index. This gets rid of the unpleasant threshold effect the article complains about.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Seth Klarman (Baupost Group) observed that when a stock is taken into an index, it's price goes up. It follows that when you buy an index fund, you are buying a collection of stocks that have been artificially marked up. Sounds like a brilliant strategy to me!

Ha

If so, than isn't it also true that when you sell the index fund, you are selling a collection of stocks that have also been artificially marked up (perhaps by a corresponding amount to that in which you bought them)?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

https://www.spdrs.com/library-conten...Prospectus.pdf

2009-2005:
Quote:
Portfolio turnover rate(5) . . . . .
6.68%
4.56%
2.95%
3.70%
6.01%
The turnover can be due to things other than a stock moving in/out of the index. M&A, split-offs, re-balancing, etc.

I don't know, but if the grand total of that activity is single digit %, I wonder how much influence the stocks going in/out of the index really has?

Hmmmm, I guess it is angels dancing on pins - no way can you really quantify it. Can't compare directly to the Total Market Index - it has different components. But if this was significant, the VTI would always outperform - does it?

-ERD50
Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Seth Klarman (Baupost Group) observed that when a stock is taken into an index, it's price goes up. It follows that when you buy an index fund, you are buying a collection of stocks that have been artificially marked up. Sounds like a brilliant strategy to me!

Ha
That was one thing that always bothered me about indexing. Another was that stocks that go into the S&P500 are handpicked by a committee - AFTER they have already shown themselves to be "hot", and get dropped after they show themselves to no longer be "hot" for a long while.

But the final thing that turned me off to indexes like the S&P500, is the market-cap weighting. You end up with such distortions in terms of diversification.

The much broader indices make more sense to me.

Audrey
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Are you saying the all the index funds that owned financials escaped unscathed in 2008?
No. I said exactly what I said.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
'Cause then you wouldn't have a Legg to stand on.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That was one thing that always bothered me about indexing. Another was that stocks that go into the S&P500 are handpicked by a committee - AFTER they have already shown themselves to be "hot", and get dropped after they show themselves to no longer be "hot" for a long while.

But the final thing that turned me off to indexes like the S&P500, is the market-cap weighting. You end up with such distortions in terms of diversification.

The much broader indices make more sense to me.

Audrey
I agree that those are concerns, but the broader indexes are also cap weighted (I think?). And are those distortions significant? Are the offset by the need to buy so many more stocks - the smaller ones may carry wider spreads?

-ERD50
Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I agree that those are concerns, but the broader indexes are also cap weighted (I think?). And are those distortions significant? Are the offset by the need to buy so many more stocks - the smaller ones may carry wider spreads?

-ERD50
Yeah, I still don't like the cap-weighting approach.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

There are fundamentally weighted indexes now available.

But here's my thought process on those. If the market actually does a good job of valuing securities, then cap-weighting is the way to go. If, however, it misprices stocks significantly, than a fundamentally weighted index would be better. But if that were the case, active managers should be able to exploit those mispricings better than the simple screens used in fundamentally weighted indexes. But active managers generally underperform cap-weighted indexes. So maybe the market actually does a good job of valuing securities, in which case, we're back to the plain old regular indexes.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree that it just feels 'wrong' in terms of diversification, a large portion of the value is really in those top few stocks, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I was under the impression that cap-weighted was the only 'efficient' way to do an index. With cap weighting, they don't need to adjust any holdings if say, the #1 stock doubled or halved in price, because its cap doubled or halved also. So it stays in balance, it's consistent and does not take tweaking.

Maybe a fundamentally weighted index allows a wider range to reduce buy/sell churning? I dunno?

-ERD50
Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Some stock pickers have complained that the stocks they select do not behave as expected because the stocks are in the index. For instance, a bad stock should be going down, but since the index fund holding it is going up, it goes up as well as index managers have to buy it.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I was under the impression that cap-weighted was the only 'efficient' way to do an index.
Yup.

It's funny how fixing one disputable problem with traditional indexing necessarily means incurring an indisputable one.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Some stock pickers have complained that the stocks they select do not behave as expected because the stocks are in the index. For instance, a bad stock should be going down, but since the index fund holding it is going up, it goes up as well as index managers have to buy it.
It's pretty common among stock pickers to explain how they got the valuation right but they somehow still lost money because other people are stupid.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post

But here's my thought process on those. If the market actually does a good job of valuing securities, then cap-weighting is the way to go. If, however, it misprices stocks significantly, than a fundamentally weighted index would be better. But if that were the case, active managers should be able to exploit those mispricings better than the simple screens used in fundamentally weighted indexes. But active managers generally underperform cap-weighted indexes. So maybe the market actually does a good job of valuing securities, in which case, we're back to the plain old regular indexes.
Yeah, I guess I don't believe the market does that good a job valuing securities and significant mispricings occur in the short-term. But that does not mean that active managers can easily exploit them either. I've found that my AA approach does a pretty good job of exploiting temporary mispricing and I just have to play the active manager in one asset class off against another.

Audrey