Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The ER is selfish argument was already beat to death on this thread:

Proposition: Early Retirement is Selfish

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The ER is selfish argument was already beat to death on this thread:

Proposition: Early Retirement is Selfish

That's one of the more recent among repeated beatings over the years. We had one long-departed poster who tried repeatedly to deliver the following message - obviously with very little success:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I believe that people should have the right to retire whenever they want, but as I have said in a number of posts, it is becoming ever more contrary to the national economic interest for people to be retiring early -- especially if they become "totally" retired and don't perform some sort of socially useful service.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I retire from the Navy, it will create a need to hire someone else to take my job. I am allowing someone else to benefit, which should help society by giving a job to someone who needs it. And there are plenty of people who need jobs these days.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I took exactly 1 nanosecond to feel guilty about being selfish enough to FIRE.

Bronx cheer.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Hard to believe that people who are working care very much about people deciding to ER, or that retired people care much about people who are still working (same is likely true for other things, like kids, mortgages paid off, etc.). People whose jobs involve finding something to write about? They probably don't really care either but have a deadline to meet.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's one of the more recent among repeated beatings over the years. We had one long-departed poster who tried repeatedly to deliver the following message - obviously with very little success:
I guess to an extent I can sort of see that point. What's best for me, the individual, isn't necessarily good for the country as a whole. If I'm not out there slaving away at a jay-oh-bee, I'm not paying into social security, I'm not paying income tax, I'm probably not wearing out cars as quickly with a commute to work, so the state loses out on taxes there, both on the purchase of the car and increased repairs. I'm also not buying the wardrobes for work, probably not eating out as much, and so on. And whatever I pull out of my savings to live off of will most likely be taxed at a lower rate.

But on the flip side, isn't it also a bit selfish for people to WANT you to work longer, simply so they can benefit off of you?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I guess to an extent I can sort of see that point. What's best for me, the individual, isn't necessarily good for the country as a whole. If I'm not out there slaving away at a jay-oh-bee, I'm not paying into social security, I'm not paying income tax, I'm probably not wearing out cars as quickly with a commute to work, so the state loses out on taxes there, both on the purchase of the car and increased repairs. I'm also not buying the wardrobes for work, probably not eating out as much, and so on. And whatever I pull out of my savings to live off of will most likely be taxed at a lower rate.
Try all you want but no amount of 'encouragement' will get that horse up and going again...

Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Try all you want but no amount of 'encouragement' will get that horse up and going again...
Oh, don't worry, I'm not trying to force that Jim Jones Koolaid on anyone. Hell, I plan on retiring the moment I feel comfortable enough to! Originally, my goal was to be out by my 45th birthday, which would be April 2, 2015. A couple years ago I moved it to 2016, partly because of the Great Recession. However, I was off all last week, hitting some amusement parks in Ohio, taking my sweet time, and then going to a classic car show in PA this past weekend. First time I've taken an entire week off from work since 2005.

It's inspired me enough that I think I want to move my retirement goal back to 2015, no matter how "selfish" that might be!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Sarah in SC, sorry I messed that up. Should have paid more attention to what I was reading and replying to. Thanks for correcting me.
No worries, correcting men's mistakes is a full time jobhobby of mine. Just ask REW! Or my DH!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
No worries, correcting men's mistakes is a full time jobhobby of mine. Just ask REW! Or my DH!
All that plus diplomacy, tact and humility. So much in one package...

Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I am a selfish ER old bastard. All I want to do is play golf and play with my buddy. No, not that buddy. The one in the pic below.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

There is a dark side to everything. The dark side of ER can't compare to the much darker side of corporate America. It was an easy choice for me. But then I am selfish.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I've learned not to over analyze this issue. In the former ER is selfish thread, I tried to argue that I'm not selfish because I do volunteer work, help my family, opened up a job for the unemployed, etc, etc, etc.

Then I realized those who retire early to golf, surf, and do what ever floats their boat are every bit as deserving as anyone. No need to explain this choice any more than many other choices we make in our lives.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #34

I'm not shellfish, but I'm in the crustacean family...

Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not shellfish, but I'm in the crustacean family...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crab kitteh.jpg (7.0 KB, 119 views)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I am a selfish ER old bastard. All I want to do is play golf and play with my buddy. No, not that buddy. The one in the pic below.

That is one handsome pooch...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #37

Good point, Andre1969.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
But on the flip side, isn't it also a bit selfish for people to WANT you to work longer, simply so they can benefit off of you?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #38

This is the first time I have read anything like this! What an odd perspective.

If you are a sub-optimal performer, you tend to experience a sub-optimal lifestyle. Itís easier to just give up as a result. Letís say you are a research scientist who after 10 years never produces any relevant research, and finds no cures. Instead of going on with your failure, you decide to give up, and get out of the game. Early retirement is kind of like the cowards way of not having to be the best any more. Some even liken it to suicide.

So those of us that want out and have had enough are just not able to cut it ! No wonder I have been playing with a razor blade on my wrist.

Unless youíre out there saving the world, you might start getting depressed you are contributing very little to society. Others will stop respecting you because you arenít doing anything productive either. Traveling the world and writing about how great your life is a very unproductive endeavor. You better be learning a new language and volunteering in the local community, or else youíre just a travel bum.

Depressed about not contributing to society? People not respecting me? Failing to expand and live up to my potential? Is this guy nuts? I don't give a rat's pa-toot about any of that. Sounds like this guy is suffering from serious guilt and self loathing.

Early retirees will croon about how great their lifestyles are. Iím sure, in some ways they are spot on. But notice how they seldom write about the hardships they face. They canít, because itís important they continue highlighting how awesome everything is, to justify their decision to no longer work.

What hardships? Like going to bed at 2 am and sleeping to 8 am if I chose to? Like doing what I want when I want vs trying to cram it in on weekends fighting all the other people that have just 2 days to run all their errands? Like having the ability to live a stress free life? I could cite a thousand other examples but we all know what they are.

All I can say is wow, what an unhappy creature!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Posting this article here is a little like posting "We don't really want to beat Michigan" in the Ohio State locker room.

If any members here do happen to agree with this article, they are surely not going to say so.

Ha
+1

Yep, and I also strongly agree with Don's mention of the fact that the article is probably looking at true early RE folks as opposed to folks like myself and many here on the RE Board who didn't make it until our mid to late 50's.

However, sticking out my chin, I'll bite and say that I do agree with several points made in the article. One applies to me. MegaCorp helped me pick my RE date by shutting down my department (and paying us a nice package to go away). I really thought I'd just go find another job but, at 58, and with my skill set based in manufacturing, nothing very interesting popped up. So, I didn't go back to work. I just declared myself FIRE'd. That is, I decided I was FIRE'd after I was fired!

Had MegaCorp not shut down my department and if I could have just stayed on doing more of the same, I'm sure I would have for 2, 3, or 4 more years. But as it is, I've been among the long term unemployed FIRE'd for five years as of 6-30-2011. It's been great and both DW and I are delighted that our careers and lifestyle choices empowered us to do this when the loss of my long time job was thrust upon us. But, frankly, ER was not particularly a planned event for us.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got out of corporate BS at 49, I was good at my job and could have continued on for years......but, why spend time in places you don't want to be doing things you don't want to do for 50+ hours a week? MY job had a great deal of travel, sounds great, looks great but is a real drag after a while. The reason they call it WORK is because you gotta do it to get the check. I know very few people that really are full filled and enjoy their jobs - esp. the folks that are making serious money -

I have had people tell me that if you retire you will expire, retire and you will shrivel up and die young........They don't know how to respond to - "so spending 50 hours a week doing stuff you really don't wanna do keeps ya young?! Would you do your job if you were'nt paid just for the long life benefits?"
I love being the master of my time and will stay the course.. -