Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Would You Invest $100K in Today's Market ...
DCA - Dollar Cost Average (Invest Certain Amount Per Week/Month) 14 38.89%
Lump Sum Investment (All In!) 19 52.78%
Hold for Market Correction in Savings Acct paying 1% 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

DCA vs Lump Sum Investment ~ Your Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Y'all ...

Wanted to hear your thoughts on something. With the market where its at today, how would you go about investing lets say ... $100,000 in cash?

Over the past several months, I have been DCA'ing ... Its a slow process, but I allows me to sleep better at night.

Would you:
A) Dollar Cost Average (DCA) ~ And enter the market at lets say $5k - $10k/monthly
or
B) Invest the entire $100k in one lump sum.
or
C) Hold On for a decent market drop while earning 1% in a Savings Acct.

Thoughts & Idea's welcome
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All in baby. If we are in a bull every day you wait is like loosing some gain.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I heard someone has an aunt that sells VUL. You could put it all in that.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you do a search here you'll see it's been discussed at length many times.

Or Let me google that for you

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I heard someone has an aunt that sells VUL. You could put it all in that.
LOL ... Was just in that thread. No thanks
Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you do a search here you'll see it's been discussed at length many times.

Or Let me google that for you
I'm sure it has ... I've seen several old threads on the subject.

But at TODAY's market value & trading is what I'm after

Just whatever your thoughts might be. Your thoughts today could very well be different then 5 years ago, or even 8 years ago.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post
I'm sure it has ... I've seen several old threads on the subject.

But at TODAY's market value & trading is what I'm after

Just whatever your thoughts might be. Your thoughts today could very well be different then 5 years ago, or even 8 years ago.

On the subject of DCA vs lump sum, my thoughts haven't changed with valuations over time. But there is no definitive right answer, both have their merits, neither is wrong - and there are plenty of academic studies to read that might be more valuable than two sentence replies...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #8

DCA is pixie dust. If it was ever the right move, then shouldn't everyone sell everthying right now, and DCA back in over time? Rinse, repeat.

It's intellectually bankrupt hogwash.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I would value average in rather than DCA. Invest $10k today, in a month add whatever you need to to increase the value to $20k, a month later, add whatever you need to to increase the value to $30k... repeat until the $100k is fully invested.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I would value average in rather than DCA. Invest $10k today, in a month add whatever you need to to increase the value to $20k, a month later, add whatever you need to to increase the value to $30k... repeat until the $100k is fully invested.
Yup, this is what I'd do. I realize lump sum's likely the better option more often than not but I think I'm going to appease my monkey brain and just do value cost averaging. There's more pain with losing money than there is happiness at gaining it.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Yup, this is what I'd do. I realize lump sum's likely the better option more often than not but I think I'm going to appease my monkey brain and just do value cost averaging. There's more pain with losing money than there is happiness at gaining it.
Me too.

For anything above a fairly low threshold, I divide up unto 2-4 piles and buy in over time.

If the market's up: "glad I put in pile #1 when I did!"

If the market's down: "glad I put in pile #n when I did!"
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #12

I lumped sum into the market in early 2008, before the market crashed. I would definitely have been better off DCA'ing. In retrospect, I would definitely DCA, but making the same choice today I'd still probably invest it all to my AA and be done with it.

The data shows that lump sum investing on average is better than DCA. Valuations today are higher than normal, so there would be little harm in value averaging into the market. If you're in it for the long-haul, it probably won't matter much. The important part is to stick with your AA.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
DCA is pixie dust. If it was ever the right move, then shouldn't everyone sell everthying right now, and DCA back in over time?
As a non-timer of the markets, that's how I always look at it. Your $100K is no different than mine. If there's a reason you would only have 10% of it invested, wouldn't that mean I should also have 10% of it invested, meaning I should sell $90K? The only difference would be any transaction costs and tax hits. But I don't think that's the reason people treat it differently. It's harder to accept a negative consequence if it's because of an action you took, but if you miss out because of not taking action, many people brush it off.

An asset allocation plan is what keeps your portfolio relatively safe while trying to optimize gains.

Now, if your a market timer, by all means, do something different.

And if you'll sleep better putting it in a bit at a time, by all means do that too. It probably won't make much difference. And you might come out better. Or you could miss out on more gains. Sleeping peacefully is important.

Personally, I'd feel just as bad to miss out on gains as I would to jump in and lose money, but some people don't mind the former so much and hate the latter. Especially as I said, if it's due to their action. I try not to let emotions rule my investment decisions. Sometimes I don't follow my own advice on that, but on this one I'm pretty consistent.

Here's the problem I have with waiting for a market drop. Say you are looking for 10%. If it drops 8% and recovers, you might not get in. At all. So then you watch it recover and go back up another 10%. So then you say, that's it, if it drops 5%, I'm in. Finally it drops that 5% and you got back in. 5% higher than when you first had the money.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #14

If you are truly torn about this decision, another way to approach it is to split the difference: lump sum 50% of the total now and then dollar cost average the remaining 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Here's the problem I have with waiting for a market drop. Say you are looking for 10%. If it drops 8% and recovers, you might not get in. At all. So then you watch it recover and go back up another 10%. So then you say, that's it, if it drops 5%, I'm in. Finally it drops that 5% and you got back in. 5% higher than when you first had the money.
Therein lies the benefit of DCA/VCA for folks who have a hard time separating their emotions from their investments (myself included, unfortunately). It's that in-between of immediate lump-sum investing and trying to time the market.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I can't psychologically buy in lump sum. The only way I can buy in is to DCA a or rebalance.

Lucky for me my biggest lump sum investment was from 2000-2002, so I happened to fall on a period where it paid off.

I can't begin to tell you where the market is now - no one knows.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Therein lies the benefit of DCA/VCA for folks who have a hard time separating their emotions from their investments (myself included, unfortunately). It's that in-between of immediate lump-sum investing and trying to time the market.
I shouldn't stir things up, but I'm going to anyway.

You call it a benefit, but I think it's taking the worst of both worlds. You don't have all your money fully invested and working for you, and you don't have a reason for it like a market timer does. You really have no reason for keeping money out other than a fear of making an active decision that could go wrong, even though over time the odds favor being in the market.

To be fair, the OP did frame the question in the current market. Like Audrey in the post before me, I don't really know where the market is though my impression is that it might be a bit overvalued.

I would at least be looking at value cost averaging (over dollar cost averaging), which has an element of market timing in a predetermined sort of way, as I understand it, though I haven't looked too closely at it since averaging in doesn't interest me, and I'm unlikely to have any new money coming in anymore.

Like I said, what the rest of you do with your money is your business, and having a plan you can sleep at night with is important.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #18

If you invest $10K each month, in 10 months you are 100% invested. So just what has DCA'ing done for you? Either tomorrow or next May all $100K will be invested. What is so special about the ensuing 10 months?

I agree with the poster who said that if DCA was so great, then when you get fully invested you should pull it all out and then DCA it in again.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If you > $1 million in liquid assets than stick all in at once. If you have less than $200K than DCA over 3-12 months. Between those amounts, it is really up to you.

I personally am in favor of putting all in once, not so much because of the math, although it is clear that putting it all in at once is superior. But rather because in my experience people who talk about DCA over say a year, often procrastinate and a year passes and only 10-20K has been invested.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post
Over the past several months, I have been DCA'ing ... Its a slow process, but I allows me to sleep better at night.
I think the reason to DCA may be what you said and I bolded above.

But I would agree with those who recommend value averaging...

When we talk about the market being high... I think most refer to the US market, but you may be looking internationally and some of those may be undervalued.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote