Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Dead before money runs out
Old 03-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I used to ride the bus a lot to work. People would get on, struggling to find the right change. I used to daydream about giving the bus driver enough money to cover the next 20 passengers. Would have sped up my ride.

I like your idea Wahoo.

I still think doing something nice every day or so would be fullfilling, but to each his own.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

John D. Rockefeller used to hand out dimes to people. I guess that made him feel good.

Maybe you could hand out 50's and feel really good. Even better than JDR.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I used to ride the bus a lot to work.* People would get on, struggling to find the right change.* I used to daydream about giving the bus driver enough money to cover the next 20 passengers. Would have sped up my ride.
One of my shipmates had a good idea that needed $100 to make it work. I told him to put in the paperwork to get the hardware and I'd take care of the rest.

Two weeks went by. Nothing. The shipmate came back with "The Supply Department told me this, I have to do that, I need the other thing"... I called the Supply Officer and was told "Them's the rules." I called BS for a $100 purchase but was told that money was tight and everything was being tracked.

There's a "Law of the Navy" that says:
Dost deem that thy vessel needs gilding,
And the dockyard forbears to supply?
Put thy hand in thy pocket and gild her --
There are those who have risen thereby.

My "rising" days were long past but I'd wasted enough time on a Quixote quest, so I put my hand in my pocket and gave the guy what he needed to go shopping. Brilliant idea. Rave reviews from students. COs calling my bosses to praise the concept. Eventually the searchlight swung my way at a DH meeting and I explained that it only cost $100, anyone could do it, I'd be happy to show everyone where to buy the parts and start doing it their classrooms, sure I'd be happy to forward the idea to NAVSEA and the training gods, sure I'd put the guy in for an award, and so on.

The Supply Officer made the mistake of saying "Oh, so my guys took care of you, eh?" I diplomatically replied "Hell, no" and explained what we'd done without his "help".

Best $100 I ever spent for a punch line.

Funny thing, we never had any trouble getting funding ever again.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #24

REWahoo, Martha,
I like the idea of helping people out. *There are just so many scam artists out there. *If I could identify a needy family that worked hard and nutured their kids, they'd get lots of anonymous cash findings.

But hey, those girls sound very much in "need" also.

I really need an idea on how to get my Social Security. Looks like I may die before it kicks in. Hell, I might marry someone just to get the money.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would be inclined to fund a scholorship at my favorite school to be awarded to a needy student in middle school contingent on their compentent completion of high school.* Why?* Because I think that some kids give up too soon on life.*
Old 03-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Some people buy an RV and start cruisin' the continent (or even both NA and SA).

Audrey
Old 03-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I would be inclined to fund a scholorship at my favorite school to be awarded to a needy student in middle school contingent on their compentent completion of high school.* Why?* Because I think that some kids give up too soon on life.*
David Robinson & his wife are doing something similar with scholarships and the Carver Academy.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Always fill the need OAP. Always.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Thanks guys, I do think it's experiences that will be enjoyable. I may also get crazy and buy a place in Aspen or Vail if I really start going downhill (pun?). I have always loved the scenery there.

I do intend to die broke except for a bit to sustain my mother.
Good thinking. I love the Vail area too. Here is a condo for ya at a nice cool $493k with a great view. Use it as rental income when your not there. 8)

http://tinyurl.com/gzsxm
Old 03-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #30

Over the last 3 years, I've found a few single moms that struggle supporting their kids on small salaries. I send each of them $250 a few times a year, no rhyme or reason on the timing.....Mostly when I have extra. People that are needy are out there, you just have to look.

Food banks are a good place to donate or find people.

Good luck OAP, hope you find something fun to do. They place where you'll live looks nice. Good location, easy to get around on Muni in SF.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
David Robinson & his wife are doing something similar with scholarships and the Carver Academy.
This guy is just amazing. Talk about the antithesis of the NBA star stereotype, this guy is it. Quiet, humble, avoiding the spotlight, and always working behind the scenes to give others an opportunity.

We need more professional atheletes like him. Heck, we need more people like him in this world.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:37 PM   #32

Unassuming I'm not. At any orgy, I'm the first with my pants off.

But, if someone can tell me how to provide $10,000 per year to a needy family that allows them to provide food, school, clothes, etc. Count me in for 3 families.

I just cringe when it requires me to find a good charity.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

There are websites that list information (like administrative costs) for different charitable organizations which would be worth looking at.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/ would be one place to start.

I found that my local food bank here in SF had about the smallest admin costs at .7% with 2% going towards fund raising

The problem is there are more potential worthy causes than there is money, so you have to narrow down the field. I figure that you can't get too much more basic than food, and with the low overhead it seems like it delivers good bang for my charitable giving buck.

cheers,
Michael
Old 03-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #34

Here's somewhere to start...

http://www.fsasf.org
Old 03-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #35

Michael,
get me the name/phone # of your SF food bank and I will make them happy.

If my hair was short and nappy, Conkolene would make it happy. Fred Sanford.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
REWahoo, Martha,
I like the idea of helping people out. *There are just so many scam artists out there. *If I could identify a needy family that worked hard and nutured their kids, they'd get lots of anonymous cash findin
Hey Oap: *I feel the same way you do re: *not knowing where your donation is actually going. *Just an idea:

About 10 years ago, in our local paper (right before Christmas), they ran an article on a young lady with 4 small children, that she was trying to raise on her own.
Husband killed in an auto collision. *She had full time job, and was trying to get through college at night to earn her degree. *We sent her a check. *Every year about that time, they publish a story about a deserving needy family, and it has been our custom since the first
time to use that as our main charity. *

Good luck to you, pal
Old 03-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #37

Jarhead,
thanks for wishing me luck and I was one of those kids back in 1963/64 who got listed in the newspaper. We got a lot of food for Christmas.

I can not seem to find that opportunity. Just a direct donation. Right to the family.

I'd do that every year and with my situation, a bunch of families would benefit.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #38

OAP, what about checking with the local churches, they always seem to know a family in need that I'm sure you could donate directly to.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #39

Outtahere,
when I get to SF, I am surely going to check for a needy family. Either thru the church or thru the charities.

I caused a mini-riot today at a charity shop when I delivered some Aboriginal artist's pottery. The ladies running the shop bought it themselves.

Also, I had a piece of Noritake (occupied Japan era) sugar bowl that was grabbed immediately.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #40

OAP my 93 yr old grand dad still collects Noritake, he loves it! I'll bet those ladies thought they had died and gone to heaven with you walked in with that stuff.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote