Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Dead before money runs out
Old 03-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Outtahere,
I was really happy to see someone want a really nice object rather than have to trash it. I wish I had asked because I surely would have liked you GF to have it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #42

Thanks OAP, just glad it went to someone who wanted it also.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
This guy is just amazing.* Talk about the antithesis of the NBA star stereotype, this guy is it.* Quiet, humble, avoiding the spotlight, and always working behind the scenes to give others an opportunity.*
We need more professional atheletes like him.* Heck, we need more people like him in this world.
The submarine force almost killed him.

He finished plebe year at the Naval Academy barely within height standards (hadn't had that final growth spurt yet) so his summer cruise was on the USS BUFFALO. As a joke the crew gave him a hard hat. He banged his head into the overheads & hatches so much that he cracked it (the hard hat) before the month was out.

A couple years after that he was too tall for everything and probably too hard to feed, let alone deploy in a ship. I think the Navy gave him a year or two in the Supply Corps and then said "Ya know, you'd make a heckuva recruiter if a basketball team wants you. Why don't you see what happens and we'll put you in the Naval Reserve."

He's going to be one of those USNA alumni like Roger Staubach...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #44

OAP, what a wonderful time you can have distributing...! I loved the thrift-shop story. All the better that they had half a clue what you were parting with! *The main charity I give to is the Christian Childrens' Fund. The kids are overseas, so their lives are fairly rough. The charity itself scores very high on the help/overhead ratio. They have a lot of convenient giving options online, including bequests (facciamo le corna).

I love the idea of doling out small amounts of cash on the street, though! What a rush.. seeing the faces of someone to whom $5 or $50 is beyond their wildest dreams. Just budget yourself $x amount a month and have at it!

Without necessarily dwelling on your misfortune, please don't understimate the value of finding an appropriately comfortable nest when your wandering come to a close. I'm 46 and have just started to think, "what if have to navigate this house in a wheelchair", etc.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:08 PM   #45

ladelfina,
I have been in streets where I wanted to help everyone. In some of them, it was clear that you better be careful not to show money.

I would love to live in a very poor village somewhere and give some money quietly and anonymously just to see families have some happiness.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Just wanted to chime in and suggest you contact your local utilities company. They have programs for providing subsidised electricity or fuel for the elderly who can't otherwise afford to heat/cool their houses. There's no blessing like being able to turn up the heat when it's frosty outside, or having a cool spot to retreat to when it's 100 in the shade.

Modified to add, good on you, OAP, for wanting to alleviate the misery of others. Have fun indulging yourself! Your SF flat looks chic.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:42 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's so much fun finding great places to give away stuff.

When we switched from house living to RV living, I went through an extraordinary amount of trouble to find "good homes" for our more unusual possessions.

There were lots of "good feeling" times when the recipient was so excited because they felt like they had just won the lottery! And I was so excited to find a good place for my stuff.

It was a real adventure. I had a group of women from an assisted living center raid my craft stash for their activity center. Can we say Christmas!?!?!

We overheard some woman in a grocery store talking about Mah Jhong and my husband offered her his set the had bought in Taiwan and held on to all these years. She came the house ASAP and was so excited!!!

We had lots of serendipitous experiences like that.

We also had good results with www.freecycle.org.

Audrey
Old 03-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #48

audrey,
I had a great time yesterday for just the reasons you list. I took the first batch over and when I returned an hour later both ladies were still looking at the stuff.

Gave me a good feeling thinking my stuff was "wanted".

I'm heading out now in the cold Chicago rain with some more goodies.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Yep - I got lots of jollies out of that!* It lasts too - I still think back on those experiences and get the warm fuzzies.

Audrey
Old 03-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
audrey,
I had a great time yesterday for just the reasons you list.* I took the first batch over and when I returned an hour later both ladies were still looking at the stuff.

I'm heading out now in the cold Chicago rain with some more goodies.
Hey OldAge, i have an Idea for you , please check your message box.
pat
Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

There is no doubt in my mind OAP that you will find the right thing to do with your money- you are such a good person. You have helped me and so many other people out with advice and I hope to learn from your posts for many years to come.

Make sure you spend a lot on you traveling and enjoy every minute of it. And then find the right place for the rest!

Momtwo
Old 03-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #52

Momtwo, I came home (retired after 20 years overrseas) with the intention of making my family very happy. BBqS, parties, financial supplements, etc.

I got just what I evidently deserved. Go F=Your self.

Lots of resentment.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

OAP, we love ya man!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

You mentioned making some provision for your Mom. *Have you established a trust to do that, or have you made other appropriate provisions?

I love ya too...

Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #55

So they really aren't family in the sense of the word...find a new one. What's that old saying about picking family..........

Luvs ya too!

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 AM   #56

Thanks you guys. I really only get calls when money is needed.

Brat, yeah, I got a Trust set up that gives money to one decent brother to administer the Trust and money directly to him for use in providing support to my mom's needs.

No money directly to her so she can't just hand it over to the deadbeats.