Debt Free!

Congratulations! It is a great feeling!:dance::dance::dance:

I paid off my coop mortage in 10 years, about 10 years ago.

I still get those Scrooge McDuck moments "mine-mine-mine!!!"

In the current economic mess, I feel wonderful knowing how low my monthly cost of living is. I still pay maintenance on the apt - to cover RE taxes and upkeep - but it is not a lot.

Enjoy YOUR house!

ta,
mew

Congratulations! That being said, I recently read an article that recommended a mortgage as a way to fight high inflation. So if one thought (as many do) that we are headed for many years of high inflation, a fixed rate mortgage might just be a hedge, especially if the mortgage interest allows you to itemize for tax purposes.

Congratulations! That being said, I recently read an article that recommended a mortgage as a way to fight high inflation. So if one thought (as many do) that we are headed for many years of high inflation, a fixed rate mortgage might just be a hedge, especially if the mortgage interest allows you to itemize for tax purposes.
I knew a "keep the mortgage" post would come in eventually to break up the cheerleading session. :)

The thing is, you can hedge inflation not just in owning an asset which should appreciate in highly inflationary periods, but also by investing what used to be the mortgage payments into areas that also hedge inflation. You don't need debt to hedge inflation.

Having said that, I think this thread may have just jumped the shark... :)

Having said that, I think this thread may have just jumped the shark... :)

It's hard for me to see how a few people suggesting that there might be a small advantage to keeping a mortgage qualifies as "jumping the shark". :confused:

According to wiki: "where the plot veers off into absurd story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations."

IMO, that may have happened way back in the second post...

Congratulations!

Others may be along shortly to tell you what a terrible mistake you made but know there are an equal number of us here who agree with you that being debt/mortgage free is a wonderful thing.

So REWahoo, could you point out some threads where anyone said it was a "terrible mistake" to pre-pay a mortgage? I recall some threads (and yes, I've posted to some of them) that it seemed to make *little difference* either way. But there are a lot of threads on the subject, maybe I missed those.

I went through some in the FAQ, and the most objective one I found was this one that ran the numbers in FIRECALC:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/analyzing-the-mortgage-payoff-option-17002.html

With the scenario provided, even when you add a 15% tax penalty for funds withdrawn to pay the mortgage, and assume there is no tax deduction at all on the interest, there is a *small* advantage to keeping the mortgage. This held true for some runs that I made, with my round numbers and current 30 year fixed rates. And the results typically are, somewhat contrary to what seems like "common sense", that risk was lower *with* the mortgage.

But it is typically a small difference, that grows a bit larger if you have a better tax situation. And that 15% hit ignores any taxes paid on the pre-pay, certainly some of this is after-tax money and some is cap gains. But, some could be RMD, so one would need to make this judgment for themselves.

As an indication of how "on the fence" I am about this, I have a small mortgage and I have not expended the energy to either pay it off OR take out a larger one.

In summary, I think the only "mistake" some people are making, is in assuming that it makes a big difference either way. But that is a small mistake, but it might distract people from the bigger fish (hey, points for bringing it full circle, "jumping sharks"?).

And I must add, it *is* a great feeling to save enough to pay off the mortgage - so congrats on that milestone!

-ERD50

Congrats, shigsy! Must be a nice feeling. We've been working to get our mortgage paid off in about 8 more years. We'll probably continue down that path, since psychologically it'd be nice to have that last bit of debt "off the books".

Congratulations, Shigsy. We also felt that the peace of mind from having the mortgage paid off was more important to us than any potential investment gain. It also allows us to be bolder in other investment areas.

Larry

It's hard for me to see how a few people suggesting that there might be a small advantage to keeping a mortgage qualifies as "jumping the shark". :confused:
Yeah really, All I said is that "I read an article". I didn't offer a personal view one way or another.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom