Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Decedent's credit card reward
Old 01-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Decedent's credit card reward

My brother in law passed away about three years ago with barely a penny to his name. He was about $11,000 in the hole to a certain credit card company at the time of his passing. My DW was administrator of his estate.

Today we got a letter from the credit card company saying his cash reward had been miscalculated, and he was due a refund. Enclosed was a check for about $35.

The letter acknowledges that he is deceased. I have mixed feelings about cashing the check, in part because he left the company holding the bag on a large unpaid debt -- but I also have a nagging, uneasy feeling that cashing the check might open the administrator (DW) up to some kind of liability regarding the account.

I can't imagine how they could come after us, but I may just tear the check up anyway. Any lawyers, armchair or otherwise, want to weigh in on this?
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If the check goes uncashed eventually the CC company will have to turn it over to the state as unclaimed property, after spending time trying to locate the payee (or his estate in this case). It does not go back into their coffers. So if trying to make right with the CC company is your motivation for tearing it up, you are actually making more work for them.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #3

If it was me , I'd write void on it, make a copy for the file, shred the original and not think about it again.

P.S. I am not an Atty, but have watched " My Cousin Vinny" several times.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
If it was me , I'd write void on it, make a copy for the file, shred the original and not think about it again.

Then every so often check the states unclaimed property web site and follow the proceedure to get the money back then. (It is a bit more complex for a deceased holder)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #5

Write "For Deposit Only" on the back. Deposit it at an ATM. Do not look back.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #6

In my state, (PA), generally, the courts do not pay any attention to the administration of probate unless someone complains or questions the settlement. Unless the inheritance tax wasn't paid, then they'd be all over the estate administrator. I've settled several estates and never saw a courtroom or a judge

Cash the check, disburse to the beneficiaries per the will & they will likely appreciate the windfall.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
In my state, (PA), generally, the courts do not pay any attention to the administration of probate unless someone complains or questions the settlement. Unless the inheritance tax wasn't paid, then they'd be all over the estate administrator. I've settled several estates and never saw a courtroom or a judge

Cash the check, disburse to the beneficiaries per the will & they will likely appreciate the windfall.
Sounds like a plan. The heirs each get $17.50 and we call it a day.

It was just very weird to get this check out of nowhere, years after the estate was closed. I guess the CC company has to keep its books straight, so we'll lend them a hand.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Me too, but what does Mona Lisa Vito have to do with this?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Sounds like a plan. The heirs each get $17.50 and we call it a day.

It was just very weird to get this check out of nowhere, years after the estate was closed. I guess the CC company has to keep its books straight, so we'll lend them a hand.
I got a check for a refund due to a settlement of a suit on homeowners insurance for my mothers estate 11 years later as it took that long for the mill to grind it out. I had long since closed the estate, but cashed the check and wrote a check to my sister for 1/2 the amount of the estates check. So it is possible for things to show up years later due to various forms of settlements as essentially refunds.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I got a check for a refund due to a settlement of a suit on homeowners insurance for my mothers estate 11 years later as it took that long for the mill to grind it out. I had long since closed the estate, but cashed the check and wrote a check to my sister for 1/2 the amount of the estates check. So it is possible for things to show up years later due to various forms of settlements as essentially refunds.
Thanks for weighing in. I feel better.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO, the credit card company had a chance to offset that credit against what your BIL owed them and didn't- either they were prohibited or chose not to. I'd be inclined to donate it to a charity.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thinking 35 bucks isnt worth that much hassle.
joejetski is offline   Reply With Quote