Decided to start a business to facilitate ER

thefed said:
what company do YOU hire? you're a property manager for a 100 unit apartment. Both companies have the same experience
I personally would go with the company that projects the more professional image.

I've started a couple unsuccessful companies. So, don't listen to me, but....

In both cases I focused too much on the product and the details of the business and not enough on interacting with the customers. If I were you I'd focus on direct contact with your potential customers and less on logos and letterhead.

I agree that the manager of the 100 unit apartment would go with the experienced company. Since your company is new, I'm not sure how you would compare. Maybe the older company sends out new hires to do the actual work and that could be a selling point for you.

thefed said:
what company do YOU hire? you're a property manager for a 100 unit apartment.  Both companies have the same experience, insurance, referrals etc...EVERYTHINGS the same. 2 identical letters, 2 identical prices and services, but one on letterhead, in a company envelope with business cards.  The other is on regular computer paper, no logo, no business cards.

I personally would go with the company that projects the more professional image.
Ye gods, man, I'd go with the one that does the better job.  That has nothing to do with how good an image they project, that has everything to do with how good a job they did for their last dozen or so customers. 

But if I constrain my answer to the strawman conditions that you've stated then I'd go with the company having lower fixed expenses (the regular computer paper) and thus more room to afford a discount-- or at least able to do the job without feeling the financial pressure to hustle me for more revenue.

thefed said:
i appreciate and understand your position here.
Well, guys, I've tried.  Maybe someone else with more credibility & experience can step in here.

There's a lot to be said for bootstrapping. There's also a lot to be said for starting with a huge marketing blitz -- if you're well capitalized, well run, and know your market and competition very well.

In other words, you should bootstrap. :)

Nords said:
But if I constrain my answer to the strawman conditions that you've stated then I'd go with the company having lower fixed expenses (the regular computer paper) and thus more room to afford a discount-- or at least able to do the job without feeling the financial pressure to hustle me for more revenue.

You're just being contrary! First you scared off JG, now this!! ;)

justin said:
You're just being contrary!  First you scared off JG, now this!!  ;)
Let's just say that I've learned a lot from this board and I'd like to continue to do so...

thefed,

Does you area have any "home shows" in a local expo center or in the local malls? I've been to quite a few of these and they get a lot of foot traffic from interested buyers. It costs you a little bit for booth space.

Also, in some areas they have popular weekend talk shows (such as handyman Glen Haege). If you could get 'known' to the talk show person, you could be on his referral list when people call in with home maintenance questions.

You may also want to hook-up with local realtors -- perhaps give them a $25 or $50 off coupon for either their home sellers (make the clean ducts a selling feature) or home buyers.

When you do a duct job -- even your 'practice ones' --- put a temporary sign (either on of the nice steel ones that looks like a realors sign or a nice corrugated plastic one that you can have a 'sign store' make for you) in the front yard for a few days so drive-by traffice (e.g. the neighbors) will be aware of your work. Houses are often of similar age and cointruction within a neighborhood, so if someone sees a neighbor getting their duct clenaed, they may decide to have their own duct done, too.

Alos, get magnetic signs for your work truck -- it will serve as a rolling billboard. (And son't forget the back of the truck, as that is what following traffic usually sees for the longest time).

omni

Try the phonebook for welcome wagon. If you don't fine them, the local chamber of commerce should be able to direct you to them since they probably distribute some literature from the city along with coupon advertisements for local businesses.

Make sure you ask about putting a sign in the front yard before you do it. Some neighborhoods do not allow that, and some homeowners don't like it. Put the magnetic signs on your truck with the name etc instead....

Also, if you advertise with a 20.00 coupon off the regular price, you migt get those people who won't pay full price (like many of us). Good luck.

thefed,

A local house painter I know used to advertise in the Yellow Pages. He later started advertising in local church bulletins (of the high-end neighborhoods that he was targeting). He found that he got almost zero customers from his (very expensive) Yelleow Pages ad and many customers from the (inexpensive) ads in  the church bulletins. So he quit advertising in the Yellow Pages.

omni

all great ideas guys, keep em coming!

and Nords, you seem discouraged...like I dont hear what you're saying or something....lol. i think you've mis-interpreted my post. re-read the WHOLE thing, and you might see what I mean

But again, thanks all of you for your ideas.

I like the church bulletin thing too!

well, the marketing calls to companies are starting today. i have someone that is working for a small commission to get these companies on board. today is just a trial of abotu 15 companies in different industries. she's trying to get comfortable witht he whole thing.

having someone else is good because i ahve time to do other things (like work my 9-5) and because SHE can make some serious $$ if she does well. The drawback is I dont think many people are as savvy on the phone as I. I am on phones 12 hrs/day for my 9-5 and other things, so I know i can take a conversation whichever way i want. by my helper is a stay at home mom who USED to do sales and such 10+ years aro, but nothing since. she is very well spoken and quick witted though, so we will see how it goes.

didnt expect results so fast...lol....got one company on board already...and he's willing to include "duct Cleaning" in his advertisements in the dollar saver magazines...

Cant beat that! I'm going to call him this evening to close the deal

An update for ya'll:

I hoped to book 3-4 jobs/month fore my first year. January totalled 6 jobs! I have 7 lined up for February....and it hasnt even started! I got and did all my January jobs IN January.

I'm looking for 4 solid months of 12+ jobs and I'm asking to be put to part-time at my day job. I have a lot on my plate right now, and I could make some big leaps and bounds if I had more time! the main 'problem' is, I jsut got a promotion @ my day job. The pay increase is MAYBE a 2500/yr increase, btu it's a step in the right direction...so we'll see what they say.

If anyones thinking of starting their own business, but is scared....plan, plan, plan, and GO FOR IT!

Doesn't sound like you have much free time, but if you would like some cheap entertainment, pick up a copy of "Faking it in America", by Joe Domanick.  You may remember the ZZZZ Best carpet cleaning scam from the 80's.  It is a fun read for anybody in a service business and shady as he may be, Barry Minkow is quite the cool guy.  He's pretty cool in real life as well. 8)

I'm looking for 4 solid months of 12+ jobs and I'm asking to be put to part-time at my day job.
Make sure you have at least a years worth of expenses in the bank before you jump ship. If I were you I would determine whether it made more sense to hire someone part time to do the duct cleaning if it got to be too much doing the day job and the duct work. After you had enough money saved up then jump ship from the day job. NOt sure how you're signing the companies up but you might want to get them on a contract for a year (like Orkin or some other pest control places) so your cashflow will be much more stable month to month.

Before we quite our jobs we set aside a years worth of expenses and are in much better shape for it. We close on two rehabs next month so I'll be flying back to GA for 2 weeks to close on them and supervise the repairs. Our RE agent will put them on the market for us after we're done. Self employment is great (even the not so great part).

thefed said:
If anyones thinking of starting their own business, but is scared....plan, plan, plan, and GO FOR IT!

I say that all the time.  However, most people don't have the courage and/or ambition.

I'm glad you've seen the light and have tasted success.  It won't be easy and there will be times you ask yourself if you should continue.  Those moments will test your resolve.

I wish you continued success.

oh, my resolve seems to be tested weekly. but then something comes thru that is a direct result of my hard work a few weeks or months prior. it's liek a snowball effect.

As far as quitting the day job...it's easy for me to say "oh, im going to quit at x time", but in reality, that's a tough thing to do. I'd like to go part-time first, if they'd let me...but I msut be ready if they just give me the boot!

I was aiming for more like 6 months reserves, AND over 1/2 of my business debt paid off. I put myself on a re-payment plan of 300/month...and that'll get it done in about 3 years. Although, I've been basically putting it ALL toward paying it off.

We'll see how it goes....

Consider wearing a spiffy uniform. I know it's totally superficial, but I find myself thinking of workmen in clean uniforms with company logos as professional, and get a little bit worried letting in people wearing dirty work clothes. I remember working painting houses over summers many years ago and I absolutely hated the uniform requirements (e.g. had to wear long pants in summer, couldn't take off shirt), but I did hear from several customers about how professional we all looked in our matching outfits.

I hired Sears to clean my ducts mostly just because I assumed they would be professional, accountable, and would probably have some minimum standards for how good a job they do.

It occurs to me that it will probably be women more then men that will initiate hiring you, so tailor your marketing towards them... don't mention the horsepower of your vacuum, mention the super HEPA filter for example.

thansk for the advice. as far as our uniforms go, we wear dark grey cargo pants, and black long sleeve t-shirts with the company logo on front and back. that seems to look pretty good, and it's comfortable too!

thefed,

I just jumped on this thread now. I didn't even realize it was a few months old but saw that you've made alot of progress. Congrats and keep up the good work.

I'm really interested in what you are doing and you seem to have the passion to keep at it. I've always wanted to start a business, even as an art not just to 'not do the 8-5 office job'.

Please keep us updated as to how your doing. It gives those of us who are looking to follow suit some hope. And hey, If theres anything I can do to help ya, let me know. I do have some tech skills that could be put to use (unlike my job :D)

Today, while doing two jobns, I signed up 4 MORE!!! All calls from referrals or estimates floating around out there! It was wild.

I have 8 jobs lined up for FEB and my ad that brought me 5 jobs last month hasnt even hit for FEB yet!!! My goal was 3-4 per MONTH, and I'm doing 5 this week!

At this rate, I'll be gone from the 9-5 by DEC 31....or at least part time from home if they'll let me.

I'd only need 10 jobs/month to be comfortable, but I liek being able to sock some $$$ away, and having virtually TWO incomes.

Feelin' good about this situation....

thefed,
How's business treating you?

It's been a looong time since this post...kinda nostalgic :)

That 1st year we did 39k gross. Then 55k. then 80k. This year is a small step back....but not much....maybe 60?

Glad I took the leap of faith!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom