Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Decided to start a business to facilitate ER
Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

didnt expect results so fast...lol....got one company on board already...and he's willing to include "duct Cleaning" in his advertisements in the dollar saver magazines...

Cant beat that! I'm going to call him this evening to close the deal

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #62

An update for ya'll:

I hoped to book 3-4 jobs/month fore my first year. January totalled 6 jobs! I have 7 lined up for February....and it hasnt even started! I got and did all my January jobs IN January.

I'm looking for 4 solid months of 12+ jobs and I'm asking to be put to part-time at my day job. I have a lot on my plate right now, and I could make some big leaps and bounds if I had more time! the main 'problem' is, I jsut got a promotion @ my day job. The pay increase is MAYBE a 2500/yr increase, btu it's a step in the right direction...so we'll see what they say.

If anyones thinking of starting their own business, but is scared....plan, plan, plan, and GO FOR IT!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #63

Doesn't sound like you have much free time, but if you would like some cheap entertainment, pick up a copy of "Faking it in America", by Joe Domanick.* You may remember the ZZZZ Best carpet cleaning scam from the 80's.* It is a fun read for anybody in a service business and shady as he may be, Barry Minkow is quite the cool guy.* He's pretty cool in real life as well. 8)
Old 01-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm looking for 4 solid months of 12+ jobs and I'm asking to be put to part-time at my day job.
Make sure you have at least a years worth of expenses in the bank before you jump ship. If I were you I would determine whether it made more sense to hire someone part time to do the duct cleaning if it got to be too much doing the day job and the duct work. After you had enough money saved up then jump ship from the day job. NOt sure how you're signing the companies up but you might want to get them on a contract for a year (like Orkin or some other pest control places) so your cashflow will be much more stable month to month.

Before we quite our jobs we set aside a years worth of expenses and are in much better shape for it. We close on two rehabs next month so I'll be flying back to GA for 2 weeks to close on them and supervise the repairs. Our RE agent will put them on the market for us after we're done. Self employment is great (even the not so great part).
Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
If anyones thinking of starting their own business, but is scared....plan, plan, plan, and GO FOR IT!
I say that all the time.* However, most people don't have the courage and/or ambition.

I'm glad you've seen the light and have tasted success.* It won't be easy and there will be times you ask yourself if you should continue.* Those moments will test your resolve.

I wish you continued success.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #66

oh, my resolve seems to be tested weekly. but then something comes thru that is a direct result of my hard work a few weeks or months prior. it's liek a snowball effect.

As far as quitting the day job...it's easy for me to say "oh, im going to quit at x time", but in reality, that's a tough thing to do. I'd like to go part-time first, if they'd let me...but I msut be ready if they just give me the boot!

I was aiming for more like 6 months reserves, AND over 1/2 of my business debt paid off. I put myself on a re-payment plan of 300/month...and that'll get it done in about 3 years. Although, I've been basically putting it ALL toward paying it off.

We'll see how it goes....

Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 AM   #67

Consider wearing a spiffy uniform. I know it's totally superficial, but I find myself thinking of workmen in clean uniforms with company logos as professional, and get a little bit worried letting in people wearing dirty work clothes. I remember working painting houses over summers many years ago and I absolutely hated the uniform requirements (e.g. had to wear long pants in summer, couldn't take off shirt), but I did hear from several customers about how professional we all looked in our matching outfits.

I hired Sears to clean my ducts mostly just because I assumed they would be professional, accountable, and would probably have some minimum standards for how good a job they do.

It occurs to me that it will probably be women more then men that will initiate hiring you, so tailor your marketing towards them... don't mention the horsepower of your vacuum, mention the super HEPA filter for example.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #68

thansk for the advice. as far as our uniforms go, we wear dark grey cargo pants, and black long sleeve t-shirts with the company logo on front and back. that seems to look pretty good, and it's comfortable too!

Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv

thefed,

I just jumped on this thread now. I didn't even realize it was a few months old but saw that you've made alot of progress. Congrats and keep up the good work.

I'm really interested in what you are doing and you seem to have the passion to keep at it. I've always wanted to start a business, even as an art not just to 'not do the 8-5 office job'.

Please keep us updated as to how your doing. It gives those of us who are looking to follow suit some hope. And hey, If theres anything I can do to help ya, let me know. I do have some tech skills that could be put to use (unlike my job )
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #70

Today, while doing two jobns, I signed up 4 MORE!!! All calls from referrals or estimates floating around out there! It was wild.

I have 8 jobs lined up for FEB and my ad that brought me 5 jobs last month hasnt even hit for FEB yet!!! My goal was 3-4 per MONTH, and I'm doing 5 this week!

At this rate, I'll be gone from the 9-5 by DEC 31....or at least part time from home if they'll let me.

I'd only need 10 jobs/month to be comfortable, but I liek being able to sock some $$$ away, and having virtually TWO incomes.

Feelin' good about this situation....
Old 04-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

thefed,
How's business treating you?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #72

It's been a looong time since this post...kinda nostalgic :-)

That 1st year we did 39k gross. Then 55k. then 80k. This year is a small step back....but not much....maybe 60?

Glad I took the leap of faith!